• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
If this is true, I think GENOFF is probably going to be totally off the table for me. With those dates, I can't see how I could make it through selection and through OCS before I turn 29 without an age waiver I don't think I'm going to get. INTEL is 42 according to my OR, so I may just stop applying for a while, finish my MA, and come back when the climate seems better. I just don't know what else I can do. Doesn't matter how much you improve your package if it never gets to the board! (And as Lucy and a few of the others know, I've just about doubled my positives since my first appearance on AirWarriors).

I do think we're being jerked around. And I'd be lying if I didn't admit anger and frustration. I understand needs of the Navy, I get it, I do, but this emotional roller coaster is taking its toll.

ericchan

Ericchan- FY12 OCS dates are from July 2011 to June2012, so FY12 being closed means that no one is going to be selected to go to OCS in those time frames.

Traditionally a fall board (around November usually) in 2011 would begin selecting for early FY13, and a spring board (around March) would select for the end of FY13. FY13 as far as OCS goes would be people going to OCS between July 2012 to June 2013. So selections should pickup sometime between Oct-March but quotas are likely to be short if FY12 has rollovers.

Hope that made sense.
Lucy

Ahh that makes sense, so basically if I'm understanding correctly, if there's hypothetically a board in Oct 2011 (as the board was canceled for Aug would have sent people for the rest of FY2012 -- Sept 2011- May 2012), it would mean that people selected would go to OCS for FY 2013 -- June 2012-July2013? Lol, i hope that made sense!

e

Seafort

I thought FY started in October so FY13 would not be until October 2012 (at which point I am 29 and out of luck). If I could manage selection to GENOFF and be in OCS by June of 2012, that'd do it, but that's a very, VERY slim margin. I'd have to knock it out of the park, and have no delays in the process at all. Too much to expect, but it's still hope I suppose.

ericchan

I thought FY started in October so FY13 would not be until October 2012 (at which point I am 29 and out of luck). If I could manage selection to GENOFF and be in OCS by June of 2012, that'd do it, but that's a very, VERY slim margin. I'd have to knock it out of the park, and have no delays in the process at all. Too much to expect, but it's still hope I suppose.

I thought the same...? I don't know. Lucy, did your recruiter say that for OCS the fiscal year starts in June or something? let us know!

e

Lucy

Seafort- Oct is when FY starts but OCS classed that start after July are marked/ scheduled as the upcoming FY. For example, first class in July is 01-12 even though current its not the new FY yet. The class would be set to graduate OCS after new FY starts so they get slated towards it.
Ericchan-yep.

GreenLantern330

Of course when I get back to town and all these rumors pop up and I'm supposed to go see my recruiter he takes leave this entire week haha just my luck! Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait till Monday.

Seafort

That's good news. As I said, that means there's still a chance I can beat the age cut off. Gotta hope we get a board before the end of calendar 2011 though.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
It's actually not too hard to figure out.

The fiscal year runs from Oct 1st to Sep 30th. FY11 is Oct 1 2010 - Sep 30 2011, FY12 is Oct 1 2011 - Sep 30 2012, FY13 is Oct 1 2012 - Sep 30 2013.

For actual OCS class dates, they use the graduation date to determine the FY is falls under. Mid-July classes will finish at the beginning of October. So essentially FY11 OCS dates are July 2010 - June 2011 (or graduation dates of Oct 2010 - Sep 2011), FY12 is July 2011 - June 2012 (grad Oct 2011 - Sep 2012), FY13 is July 2012 - June 2013 (grad Oct 2012 - Sep 2013).

In order to have people actually at OCS dates for a fiscal year, they have to select them at a board the year prior. In FY11, they're recruiting for the FY12 OCS class dates. This allows time for MEPS, security clearances, or any issues to get resolved.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Is that 126 slots for OCS or will BDCP, ROTC etc be taking some of those?

That is 126 slots available, BDCP and last years FS that haven't shipped yet take up the 80 or so spots already filled. ROTC does not go into OCS slots at all. USNA and ROTC have their own quotas.

My OR called me earlier today to confirm what millsra said about the selection board, in that they are only accepting apps for pilot, supply, and some other engineering communities that I can't remember off the top of my head. He also told me that because of my age, my degree, and my GPA, that I should enlist and start putting together a package that way. Here are some quick stats about my package:

Sex: M
Applying for: SNA pilot/NFO
ASTB scores: 6/7/6 55
Bachelor's Degree in Music Performance with a GPA of 2.83 (I know this doesn't count, but I completed 1 year of a 2 year master's program with a 3.7 GPA. I didn't finish because I decided to join the Navy.)
LORs: retired O-4 (former F-14 RIO), my applied teacher at my grad school, current and previous employers
Interviews: O-5 operations officer at my NRD (former Helo pilot), and a retired Vice Admiral
Extracurricular activies include playing for several orchestras in my community, school musical groups, churches, and cruise lines.
With regards to applying for pilot, my vision will definitely DQ me, so the only real option I have right now is NFO. There is also the option of getting PRK, but that of course includes the 6 month wait time that would most likely make me miss a selection board down the road, and will result in me becoming dangeriously close to being too old to apply for flight school.

From day 1, my recruiter has told me that my degree and GPA would be a problem, and that I should go back to college and get another degree with a higher GPA. I told him this wasn't possible because I didn't have 4 more years to spend in college. He told me straight up that he didn't think my package stood a chance of getting selected compared to the number and quality of other peoples' packages in the future. This whole time I've known that my package isn't nearly as impressive as some others, especially compared to some of the stats I've seen on here, but I never thought it was SO bad that it never stood a chance. After all, I've heard from friends and other people that they were selected with lesser stats, and they were approved and getting ready to go to OCS. Of course, I don't know how similar the situation was back then compared to now.

I guess I'm writing all of this to see what everyone else here thinks would be the best situation for me. I can sit here and say how it's been my childhood dream to be a pilot, and how I feel I'm qualified, but I won't go through all that. All I'll say is that I know I'm not stupid, I can learn anything anyone teaches me, and I have more drive to be a naval aviator than I've ever had for anything else in my life. Thanks everyone for all your help, and I sincerely hope that everyone on here gets a chance to do what they want to do.

Edit: I apologize if this post is against the intention of this thread, and if I should have posted it elsewhere. If it is, someone please let me know and I will gladly move it. Thanks.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
So FY12 boards start in October correct? Any way to be sure or know when FY12 board dates start?

No, it sounds like FY12 boards are over outside of SNA and Supply in August. Like I said, they recruit for the next FY prior to the actual one. We're in FY11 right now, which lasts from October 2010 to September 2011. That means everyone pro-rec'd in the October and November boards was a FY12 selectee. There were also probably lots of rollovers from FY11. Once October hits, they'll start recruiting for FY13 (October starts FY12, and they recruit one year ahead).

In regards to above, if I were you, I would finish up the Master's degree and get PRK as soon as I could. In my opinion, FY13 is going to be a very slim year. The likelihood of getting picked up just doesn't sound that great (for anyone), and so you may as well do what you can to improve your application (especially since GPA is you big weakness, and you can address it in your letter; and point out your Graduate GPA). You could also bust your butt and try for a super ASTB like the ones in the beginning of this thread, although I got picked up last year with a 50 6/6/6. You'll still have a year if you finish the degree before you're too old, and NFO is still an option for several years.

Lucy

He also told me that because of my age, my degree, and my GPA, that I should enlist and start putting together a package that way. Here are some quick stats about my package:

I would disagree with that in multiple ways. First, age limits are not going to get much easier since you'll basically only be gaining a year or two of waiverability, which is how long it will likely take before you can submit anyhow. Second, enlisting can help your package but by no means will make it easier to get accepted since quotas are the same no matter the source (fleet,civi) and you already have a degree which makes you not able to apply for many of the enlisted->officer programs.

That said, why is pursuing the Navy stopping you from getting a second degree or your MA/MS? I know I am not the only one, but for example I am currently pursing my MA through an online program, and a post-bac degree through the local university part-time. If your degree is what might be holding up, find a way to fix it.

The reason I didn't finish my masters degree will probably sound stupid and lame, but it's how I feel about it. Music is a very 1 on 1 education, where you have an applied teacher, and you learn from that person for your time in school. It's not like you're in a class of 20 or 30 people and someone teaches you all how to play your instrument. It's a very individual learning experience. With that in mind, it wasn't fair to my teacher to waste the time that he was using to teach me about something that I would not be making a career in. Especially when there were other students who were wanting to learn from the same teacher, who didn't get accepted into the school (I went to a pretty prestigious and competitive school). I discussed it with him, and we both agreed that it would be better if I just didn't come back the following year. He was a really great guy and a great teacher, and didn't really deserve to have me wasting his time.

When I talked to an enlisted recruiter earlier today, she made it sound like it's easier to get selected because it would show that I am committed to the Navy and willing to work my way up from the bottom, etc. But I understand that the quotas are still the same, for fleet and for civilian.

@fattestfoot: I was under the impression that the age limit was the same for pilot and NFO, in that you would have to be commissioned and done with OCS when you are 27. Is it different for the two?

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
I gotta agree with Lucy, your best option would be to get your Masters. Not that I have anything against going enlisted, because I enjoy it very much, but in your situation it probably won't help at all. The reason enlisted might get a "leg up" on the boards is because of stellar evals. If you go into the boards with several EPs then they will most likely overlook your GPA/Degree. The problem with that is it will take around 3 years to start collecting some good evals. You'll get a non-observed while in school or maybe when you first get to your command, then you get an MP for at least your first real eval (probably first 2) and then if you are shit-hot you start getting evals that will get you selected (EPs). I have talked to a few people who have sat on the OCS boards and the first and primary thing they look at for fleet apps are evals. So by the time you get good evals you are now past the age waiver range of 29.