• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATTN: Flight Sim nerds

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Unfortunately it was too difficult using the hat switch to look and having to use the mouse to activate buttons/switches to be worthwhile
(I feel like a f*cking nerd for admitting that.)

You'd be even more of a f*cking nerd, but TrackIR would be your solution. 6DOF would really help with the view limitations of flightsims, I would think. Hat switches are a pain in the ass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrackIR

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
That's the thing I'm not too worried about contacts..I meant for down the line, it's been a couple years since I've done any instrument flying. Just something extra can't hurt to practice with.

That's the kind of thing you don't really want to throw out there for anyone to read...probably won't matter too much, but it's not great headwork.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This was the candidate for replacing the FS2002 T-34C model for MicroSim when it was in the process of being updated to FS2004 / FSX. Even though not perfect, it looks like they've done a pretty decent job with it:
Meh. The last T-34 off the line may have looked like that; let's see some paint chips and worn zinc chromate on the floor!

Although, just like real life, the NACWS is completely useless. :D

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
That's the kind of thing you don't really want to throw out there for anyone to read...probably won't matter too much, but it's not great headwork.

That's taken out of context.. I meant I'm not too worried about using Flight Sim 2002/T34 Addon for contacts but more for instruments.

Thank for the input guys, I think I got a copy of Flight Simulator on the way, gonna take it to the Sim guy and get the T-34 add on. I have a joystick and throttle, although Srq..I'd love to go take a look at your buddies set up. That sounds sweet. (snort)

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Meh. The last T-34 off the line may have looked like that; let's see some paint chips and worn zinc chromate on the floor!

Although, just like real life, the NACWS is completely useless. :D

NACWS wasn't even fully implemented in MicroSim... It's been a while, so could be wrong, but I think the only thing they used it for was DME equivalent distance I believe...

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Before anyone drops coin on the Alphasim T-34...

...it sucks balls. The torque settings are all wrong, it's way overpowered, the turn needle/ball literally don't work, no prop feather, no TACAN, no UHF, the CDI is just all sorts of fucking wrong, no index on the RMI so you can't figure out what your heading is, etc etc.

The visuals are great, but that's it. It's designed for the average FS nerd who wants to bore holes in the sky and nothing more.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
My buddy just bought a PC and stick/rudder pedals/PCL dedicated to T-34 chair (sim) flying... and it's hooked up to his 40+ inch LCD TV. It is sick. I was over at his place the other day and was doing pattern work and going over course rules. It is pretty spot on and the cockpit even looks 30 years old. All you'd have to do is spread some dirty laundry around the room to add to the effect. I'm not sure where he stands on burning you a copy, but you know how to get a hold of me if you're interested... or we can head to his place and check it out.

If I were you, I'd sacrifice your NSS by avoiding the above setup and maybe go helos/P-3 rather than have to tell your parents you're gay.

I mean I was a bit of a flight sim nerd before I could afford to actually fly (or scam the Navy into paying for it), but the above setup would take so much time and/or money which could better be appropriated on chasing skirt and downing liquor... or vice versa.

srqwho

pilot
If I were you, I'd sacrifice your NSS by avoiding the above setup and maybe go helos/P-3 rather than have to tell your parents you're gay.

I mean I was a bit of a flight sim nerd before I could afford to actually fly (or scam the Navy into paying for it), but the above setup would take so much time and/or money which could better be appropriated on chasing skirt and downing liquor... or vice versa.

Okay okay... yeah I'll say that I personally wouldn't drop the cash on the above setup, but for everything he spent A LOT less than what you would guess. I think the PC was only 200$. But like I said, it's a sweet set-up, but a little less exciting transitioning from working areas than it is when you actually have a view.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

...it sucks balls. The torque settings are all wrong, it's way overpowered, the turn needle/ball literally don't work, no prop feather, no TACAN, no UHF, the CDI is just all sorts of fucking wrong, no index on the RMI so you can't figure out what your heading is, etc etc.

The visuals are great, but that's it. It's designed for the average FS nerd who wants to bore holes in the sky and nothing more.

It's a shame that they couldn't get the important stuff right. The visuals look pretty nice in the screenshots. The green band for oil pressure is wrong, but it's wrong in the plane (in a different way), too, so whatever.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None

I agree with the above shortcomings but would highly recommend it anyway especially if you are in corpus. I used it in primary and thought it was a great tool to study. Especially in the sims when you know exactly what approach you're gonna shoot. The vast majority of the approaches you will shoot are at navy or corpus intl where you can use the vor with dme. The cdi is different but easy to figure out, the torque settings are a little off but easy to figure out , and I could approximate feather (800 fpm clean) by going to idle.

In short, much better than riot or chair flying despite not being perfect.

Mos

None
For any SNFOs interested in the T-6 side, IRIS Simulations made a T-6 addon for FSX. The model and cockpit are very nicely rendered, and it's fun to fly, but that's about where it ceases to impress me.

http://www.irissimulations.com/product-pro-t6a-advanced.php

I haven't really flown the Texan II enough to really tell you how the control feel compares; but the PEDD does seem to give different torque readings than what I'd come to expect in contacts and there's just nothing that comes close to the feel of a real landing. The biggest discrepancies are in how the avionics are wired in the addon. The EADI isn't functional, max fuel is 1400lbs (in reality only 1200lbs), the AEDD requires the GEN on at startup, and you either get the NACWS or the AEDD, not both (i.e., NACWS can't run in the background - not that it matters much). Because the cockpit looked like the real thing, I found it helpful for visually learning what was what; but because some things functioned differently, it was useless for simulating checklists, especially at startup. But hey, the ejection handle works every time. :D

I guess if any of you SNAs are feeling wistful about our glass instruments, air conditioning and the extra 500 or so SHP, you can download this puppy and try it out. :icon_wink