• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATSB Questions

FUPaladin

couldabeen
I definitely didn't like 5. Now I have to take it again. My recruiter didn't tell me I would be taking all of the test. I did no studying for the Aviation part. I know nothing about plans except...........no nothing I know nothing. I felt like an idiot.
So back to the books again for me, this time I will be ready. My problem with the reading comprehension was that some of it was just boring. So just as quick as I was reading it, it was falling out my brain. :sleep_125

If you're not applying for SNA or SNFO (and I'm guessing you're not since you were surprised by the aviation part), the whole second half of the test doesn't really matter, though you still have to take it. Your OAR is what matters, and that comes from the first three sections: math, reading comprehension, and mechanical aptitude. You can study the aviation stuff if you just want to look good on that part, but I recommend focusing most of your attention on those first three sections.

Tombstone

Hey folks can someone please tell me where I can find on the Marine Gouge, the mechanical comprehension part where it explains all of the parts of the test in detail. I printed it out once before when I took the astb but I can't find it on here now. I have the question and answer part of the gouge I just don't have the explanation part. Thanks for the help in advance.
Tombstone

AJB37

Sub-Par ASTB score question

I just got my ASTB score back today, which ended up being:AQR: 6PFAR: 6FOFAR: 7OAR: 55

I know that the scores for the Marines are basically pass/fail, I think this falls into the fail category, but I was wondering if this score is wavierable if I'm applying for a SNA slot? My Navy recruiter advised me to retake the test and I haven't talked to my OSO yet, which is why I'm asking the question here. I've been leaning towards the Marines, so if they would take the scores it would NOT be the deciding factor, just to make sure thats clear.

My study habits were a bit lacking before this test, and it was my first time, but I try to avoid standardized tests like the plague. So any way to avoid taking the ASTB again would be good thing.

If I do have to retake the test, does anybody have and good gouge on forms 3 and 4?

Thanks,
Adam

joshmf

I took the ASTB last week, and scored a 6/6/6 56, and was told by my OSO that this is above average in general, and about average for people with competitive packages. Having never applied for USMC OCC/ PLC, or been on a selection board, I don't know with certainty if its pass/ fail, rather then just one aspect that's considered along with everything else. I do feel confident that the Marine Corps would be willing to take you with that score. (I was prior enlisted USMC, and some of those officers were not the sharpest bayonets in the armoury.)

Also, I wasn't satisfied with my ASTB score either, but my OSO strongly suggested against taking it again, on the off chance of scoring lower, and he considered it fairly competitive already. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

FUPaladin

couldabeen
Don't be so hard on yourself--those scores are above-average. I've only been here less than a year, but I've seen plenty of people get picked up for SNA with similar scores. And like joshmf said, the ASTB is just a part of your application package, not the one thing that will decide whether or not you get in (though I admit I don't know anything about this Marines pass/fail thing that you speak of).

badger16

None
I got a 7/7/6 57 and my recruiter told me those were solid scores and even advised me not to retake while i'm waiting the 6th months for my PRK to heal. I felt the same way as you, I know I can do better. Problem is do you want to risk getting a worse score when you could have gotten in with the ones you have? if you don't have any wait time (PRK) I'd apply.If you don't get in then think about taking it over again. Just my 2 cents.

Stretch32

Final Take ASTB Scores

I just wanted to say thanks for all the input from this forum on ASTB study help and information. This is an outstanding site for people like myself. I didn't do too bad this time so I'm hoping I've finally got a good shot with my average GPA (2.25, Business Degree). Scores from Version 3:

OAR: 57
AQR: 8
PFAR: 9
FOFAR: 9

My package includes:
LOR's: 1 ADM, 5 CAPT's, 2 CMDR's, 2 work references
About 350 hrs flight time w/ instrument and commercial rating
26 yrs old (27 in early December)
No prior service

I've taken the test for the final time and now I'm just waiting to see what happens. I want SNA obviously so I hope I can finally make the cut (caught 2 boards already, this is my 3rd). Unfotunately I missed the July boards but maybe they might meet again at the end of the month or early in August. Due to age restrictions I need a board soon or I'll be too old for SNA. I did however put in for NFO and Supply so I've still got options if selected. Any input/comments on scores/overall package would be great. Not sure whats "competitve" at this point as I haven't been keeping up lately. Thanks again for all the help.

Stretch

I got 6/6/6 and was selected as a SNFO select (my first choice) with those scores so I wouldn't worry about it. I never even studied for the test and never intended on retaking it.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
I was told by a MECEP at my ROTC unit that he would need a 6/6/6 to get the guaranteed flight contract for TBS. Sounds like you're set =)

Red

Conaway

I'm really confused and actually kind of pissed, but somehow I scored the exact same as I did the first time. 5/6/5, don't know my OAR, I don't think I want to know. The HR guy in my office told me that in the past 6/6/6 was passing, but now HQ considers my score passing and that I "qualified for a Marine Corps Pilot". He's says it's a good score, so I'll take his word for it. That's good, but I swear a did better than that.
Other than that, I'm just waiting for the official word now. All of my package is in.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'm really confused and actually kind of pissed, but somehow I scored the exact same as I did the first time. 5/6/5, don't know my OAR, I don't think I want to know. The HR guy in my office told me that in the past 6/6/6 was passing, but now HQ considers my score passing and that I "qualified for a Marine Corps Pilot". He's says it's a good score, so I'll take his word for it. That's good, but I swear a did better than that.
Other than that, I'm just waiting for the official word now. All of my package is in.

Just remember...Apply, reapply, and then apply again. I do have to say though, 5s and 6s are what most people get, otherwise they wouldn't be 5s and 6s.