• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Athletics in military

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I was talking to an O and I mentioned that I played baseball in college. He said that there were opportunities to play in the Corps and that you travel to different bases and play.

I'm still pretty decent (could probably hit the upper 80's off the mound) and still put on a display form the batters box when I go to the field with friends... if I become a NA would I be able to participate in this and does anyone know what it would be like or have any further information?

Thank you.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I was talking to an O and I mentioned that I played baseball in college. He said that there were opportunities to play in the Corps and that you travel to different bases and play.

I'm still pretty decent (could probably hit the upper 80's off the mound) and still put on a display form the batters box when I go to the field with friends... if I become a NA would I be able to participate in this and does anyone know what it would be like or have any further information?

Thank you.

If you join the Navy you can play volleyball and/or box, at least thats what I have seen in the movies...

UMichfly

pilot
None
This is one of those pseudo-worthless "I heard/saw" posts but on my 1/C cruise a few summers ago there was a Pilot in the squadron who had been playing with the Navy baseball team during his time in the squadron. I don't know any details but there are opportunities.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If you're an officer, don't count on being able to play on any Marine Corps teams with extended seasons. You may be able to do single-event individual sports, e.g. I know of someone who was selected to represent the Corps at the Armed Forces Triathlon. Same same with the Marine Corps marathon team, etc. You are unlikely to get 6-9 months TAD to practice for a season-type sport.

There are plenty of opportunities to be on unit or base teams for intramural, "club"-type sports, though. You just have to manage you time and realize that the job comes first.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
If you're an officer, don't count on being able to play on any Marine Corps teams with extended seasons. You may be able to do single-event individual sports, e.g. I know of someone who was selected to represent the Corps at the Armed Forces Triathlon. Same same with the Marine Corps marathon team, etc. You are unlikely to get 6-9 months TAD to practice for a season-type sport.

There are plenty of opportunities to be on unit or base teams for intramural, "club"-type sports, though. You just have to manage you time and realize that the job comes first.

Yup.

If you want to be on the Marine Corps Team for athletics as an officer...think twice. Unless you can train for said team not to interfere with work, you probably won't be able to do it. And try to get to a few events without missing too much work (or working it in with your job....like for a school wherever the event is).

I knew enlisted guys who would have all kinds of time dedicated to the same sport I did, yet as an Officer it isn't even cool to try to get a Snivel for weekly events. I'm not complaining....I picked this career!.....but don't be thinking you will still be able to be a prime-time athlete as an Officer.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Thank you all for your input

What if I got mad skillz and dont need to practice?

allen-iverson-292.jpg

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Oh, I thought you were talking about coherency...

Pags

N/A
pilot
a few years back the MOI at my NROTC unit had been on American Gladiators back in the day. He had fought some chess pieces in his time in the Marines. I think he had been on the USMC rugby team when in a squadron.