• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Athletes and OCS

markvanes

I read somewhere that most USMC OCS candidates are/were varsity college athletes. Is this true? Does that give you an advantage?

MNU-OCS

Not really, i dont think at least. I think anyone can be just in as good as shape as a varsity player. As far as selection goes, well the varsity status isnt going to mean anything. Say if there was someone who was varsity for a football team. The boards are just going to see that they played football. Thats it.

vvmountainvv

i was actually thinking about this today. i wasn't a varsity athlete in colllege, but 2 of my room mates were. i don't think it plays much into the selection process, but i think having played a team sport at the college varsity level definitely has benefits for a Marine officer. as a Marine you are very much a part of a team with a common goal, you have a coach (CO) to lead and look up to. you have weaker players and stronger players, and if someone isn't pulling their weight, the whole team suffers. varsity atheletes know all about this and i think it is a benefit to have played sports as a Marine. am i worse off for not having played a varsity team sport? i don't think so. it all depends on the person, but i think having that experience can definitely be a plus.

GTodd

Well I do not know if it matters or not. But I remember talking to the guys in my plt. and the most of us (including myself) had lettered in atleast one sport.

From my perspective I can say that it helped 'cause it helped me learn my leadership and style and it helped with dealing with stress.

Whalebite

You certanly dont need to be, but fitness, leadership, and teamwork are good things on an application. Its about the total person.