• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATC Mobile Mishap-28Feb

Brunes

pilot

Brunes

pilot
Unrelated, but now I'm curious - is it common to launch without a rescue swimmer to boats in distress? Is it just the -65's that do that due to cabin space limitations?

Negative- Not common but entirely possible.
It was more common - The rescue swimmer program was mandated by Congress in 1984 implemented in 1985. Prior to that, and even for a while after, it was not uncommon for the copilot to go out the door to do stuff (Secure adrift vsls, first aid, etc).

But that citation- They were likely deployed to a ship (a ship which had migrants all over the flight deck) so they were shore based and were the closest asset. Most ship deployments occur without a swimmer on the crew....so they went out and did the kings business. Guys like that...We need more of them.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Unrelated, but now I'm curious - is it common to launch without a rescue swimmer to boats in distress? Is it just the -65's that do that due to cabin space limitations?

Sounds like they were on a Key West deployment which was common back in those days when Miami had more 65's attached to them.

They would deploy without a rescue swimmer because they were on a law enforcement mission looking for migrant activity. The SAR coverage was still usually covered out of Air Station Miami.

I think those days are over after they downsized the 65's at the unit though...but I could be wrong.

foleyswole85

Mr. Taylor was the senior member of my OCS interview panel this past November, he was a super guy. Very sorry to hear, RIP.

sardaddy

pilot
We often fly without the rescue swimmer. It just depends on the mission. Dale was actually stationed at air station Savannah when that happened. He was on deployment at the time thus no rescue swimmer with him. Sending the CP down on the hook was an accepted practice and one that was always in the back pocket if things went wrong but they were not done in the extreme conditions Dale did it in.

Sending the CP ended quite a few years ago when someone was attempting the same thing and pulled back one of the engines when his vest caught the FFCL while he was crawling to the back. The aircraft ended up crashing into the surf. After that mishap the practice was prohibited.

Ironically, Dale was stationed in San Fran at that time and had to fly the CO and XO of the mishap station (who happened to be TAD in San Fran) up the crash site.

Once the message came out prohibiting the maneuver, Dale's OPS O told him that he had to give back his Coast Guard medal because what he did was now illegal and they didn't want to look bad. He believed him for a few minutes before he was let off the hook.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Once the message came out prohibiting the maneuver, Dale's OPS O told him that he had to give back his Coast Guard medal because what he did was now illegal and they didn't want to look bad. He believed him for a few minutes before he was let off the hook.

Dang, that's actually a pretty funny way to put one over a guy.

Brunes

pilot
I don't have a link-But the AET3's remains were recovered today just after the memorial service at ATC. So all 4 of our guys are "home"