• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AT-6 excluded from Light Attack Aircraft

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Thing here is, don't think of this as an addition to all the wonderful toys we have now. Think of it in terms of what we'd have to give up to get it. Are you willing to sacrifice an HML/A squadron to get a squadron of these? Okay, then who will cover the MEUs, since this can't fly off ships. Same consideration for Harriers. If you think anyone is going to trade a squadron of F/A-18s or JSFs for this, you're kidding yourself. This is a niche product, even if it is OTS. Don't just think about the aircraft. Think training pipelines for pilots and maintainers. Think parts. Think intermediate and depot-level maintenance. Think hangars. Think career paths for Os and Es. Adding a new platform takes a turd on a huge jigsaw puzzle. About the only place I could see it fitting is in AFSOC. They have the right organizational structure to handle something like this, and it would be well-utilized. Of course, if it was there, conventional troops wouldn't get to see it very much.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Don't we already know the Navy's plan for low intensity air support from the sea? Fire Scout. 14 hrs of loiter, ISR package, Hellfire caliber weapons, etc. Throw it on anything with a flight deck. Welcome to our robotic future gents.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Thing here is, don't think of this as an addition to all the wonderful toys we have now. Think of it in terms of what we'd have to give up to get it. Are you willing to sacrifice an HML/A squadron to get a squadron of these? Okay, then who will cover the MEUs, since this can't fly off ships. Same consideration for Harriers. If you think anyone is going to trade a squadron of F/A-18s or JSFs for this, you're kidding yourself. This is a niche product, even if it is OTS. Don't just think about the aircraft. Think training pipelines for pilots and maintainers. Think parts. Think intermediate and depot-level maintenance. Think hangars. Think career paths for Os and Es. Adding a new platform takes a turd on a huge jigsaw puzzle. About the only place I could see it fitting is in AFSOC. They have the right organizational structure to handle something like this, and it would be well-utilized. Of course, if it was there, conventional troops wouldn't get to see it very much.

The Army could use it to great effect (if the AF would step aside - which is not historically likely). Finding roles & ways to operate this a/c surely is preferable to wearing out the remaining hours on F-16s & F-18s on AF, Navy & MC airframes.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Diminished, not neutralized. I guess the OV-10s in Desert Storm or the F-117 in OAF didn't buy it either but they learned the hard way otherwise, both of them were lost well into the conflicts. When the enemy territory below wasn't occupied by friendly troops the threat remained.

If I remember correctly we lost pointy nose types in both of those conflicts to SAMs etc. I was very young, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

No matter what your level of sophistication is, it's going to be hard to not lose something (or someone) to a well co-ordinated anti air defense network.

Renegade One

None
So if it isn't operating off a CVN, doesn't that imply some sort of airfield, where we can maintain adequate security and whatever assets are needed for a relatively permissive environment? What does that cost?
One word for you: "Guadalcanal". Yes, there are unknown costs...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Maybe now all the Air Force IPs on Whiting will finally stop wearing that stupid AT-6B patch they're so in love with...

Coota0

None
The Army could use it to great effect (if the AF would step aside - which is not historically likely). Finding roles & ways to operate this a/c surely is preferable to wearing out the remaining hours on F-16s & F-18s on AF, Navy & MC airframes.
Agree completely, having a turboprop fixed wing to supplement our -58s and -64s would be outstanding, but the USAF is going to feel we're encroaching on their turf and "Big Army" most likely will not want to fund the project.