• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AT-6 excluded from Light Attack Aircraft

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Buying either platform would be a great idea. We would save money on multiple fronts including a/c price and shortened training pipelines. I agree that requirement creep will set in and sky rocket the cost. The "stars" and politicians will probably want to turn the AT-6 into a F-16, or make it stealth

On a serious note, there needs to be a name change on the Super Tucano... Thats just stupid

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
On a serious note, there needs to be a name change on the Super Tucano.

What, you don't fear the Tucan?

Tucano.jpg

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
Marksmanship---aim-with-your-good-eye---motivational-army-poster.jpg

As if our stacks aren't crazy enough over there...can you imagine some afghan dude checking in with the warden? How awesome...

The guy in this poster must have been at the controls of the Super Tucano in the shoot down video. That took FOREVER. Granted, I have zero air to air experience, but I would hope that if it was part of my job I'd be better at it than that guy was, given the target was relatively large, slow and not maneuvering.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The guy in this poster must have been at the controls of the Super Tucano in the shoot down video. That took FOREVER. Granted, I have zero air to air experience, but I would hope that if it was part of my job I'd be better at it than that guy was, given the target was relatively large, slow and not maneuvering.

There's a little more going on there than what you see, as well. The operation actually is coordinated through JIATF, so comms have to go through Key West (and Colombia) and back again. The rider can talk to the Super T, but there's other items on the checklist that are going down. Plus the ISR asset has to talk on the Super T (after getting permission through JIATF...who gets permission through Colombia), but has to relay through the interpreter. So if the target maneuvers, they have to, again, relay through the rider for a talk on if the Super T goes blind.

There's actually a whole desk dedicated to this mission in JIATF. It's not very busy nowadays, in large part because of the many cases similar to the video (with similar results) that occurred when the program came online. Now no one wants to get shot down so they come up with other methods.

ryan1234

In light of recent news, it will be interesting to see the AF's next step with the SuperT. They've proposed cutting five A-10 squadrons and placing a larger emphasis on multi-role platforms. Will the SuperT fill a CAS/ISR multi-role? Or will it go the way of the C-27J?

Any word of the those Hornets to Brazil? Some interesting politics.

Criminal

pilot
So, is there any good reason why "they" don't want to do this or are they going ahead with it?

Criminal

pilot
Gov.... Just seems in an economic crisis we would be grabbin at every option to save some $$ while still accomplishing the mission. Is the MC on board with the SuperT as well?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gov.... Just seems in an economic crisis we would be grabbin at every option to save some $$ while still accomplishing the mission. Is the MC on board with the SuperT as well?

But if the widget doesn't fit the requirement or can't meet the mission, why would we want to buy it? Just to throw money at a contractor? We do that enough and waste plenty that way already.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'd be the guy who'd look for a Super T patch to wear, but only to mock the AT-6 patch wannabes wearers. Or maybe an Air Tractor patch.

Never heard of an HT dude just randomly wearing a Kiowa patch or a VT-J guy with a Hawk 200 patch (the variant that carries real missiles...). Was there ever an armed King Air so the multiengine VT guys can join in my notional dogpile? :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'd be the guy who'd look for a Super T patch to wear, but only to mock the AT-6 patch wannabes wearers. Or maybe an Air Tractor patch.

Never heard of an HT dude just randomly wearing a Kiowa patch or a VT-J guy with a Hawk 200 patch (the variant that carries real missiles...). Was there ever an armed King Air so the multiengine VT guys can join in my notional dogpile? :D

I wear DAP patches all the time. What? I fly a -60, the 160th flies the -60, it's pretty much the same thing, right?