• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AT-6 excluded from Light Attack Aircraft

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I just saw this article regarding how Beechcraft has been excluded from the light attacck aircraft bid. It is a pretty bad article calling the AT-6 a piston aircraft. It seems to be a press release from Beechcraft complaining about getting excluded with no real details.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/2011/11/kan-plane-maker-says-air-force-bars-it-bid#ixzz1eC1o3QFh

Also here is a interesting discussion of the article. A lot of people see to think this was a political move saying that Embraer has ties to Iran

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2011/11/2...-with-ties-to-iran-on-light-aircraft-project/

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
We have a no-sh*t economic crisis in the U.S., and manufacturing more aircraft here certainly makes sound economic sense. At the same time, the Super Tucano easily outperforms the AT-6 in every area of measurement - including about 2.5hrs greater loiter time. I don't think Iran has anything to do w/ any decision we might make with regard to a brazilian aircraft. If the Iranians have the Tucano, they can only use it against their own people - it's useless against anything the U.S. or Israel might send over there.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've dealt with this for the ;ast 5 years as far as foreign customer demand. I'm all about U.S. industry, but Beech fucked this away, willingly.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Wouldn't these be cheaper (and easier to maintain)?
A-1H_602SOS_Jun1970.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just saw this article regarding how Beechcraft has been excluded from the light attacck aircraft bid......Also here is a interesting discussion of the article.

I've dealt with this for the ;ast 5 years as far as foreign customer demand. I'm all about U.S. industry, but Beech fucked this away, willingly.

Beechcraft had two years to bring the AT-6 up to the capability of what the Super Tucano already had and they still couldn't get close, damn right they fucked this one away.

May the best plane win.

A lot of people see to think this was a political move saying that Embraer has ties to Iran

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2011/11/2...-with-ties-to-iran-on-light-aircraft-project/

Of course, because we want nothing more than to support the current Iranian government! Oh, wait.......

I guess they forgot that we sold arms to them around the same time they got the Tucanos back in the 80s, minor detail though.

ryan1234

We have a no-sh*t economic crisis in the U.S., and manufacturing more aircraft here certainly makes sound economic sense.

Not sure what the master plan truly is, but Hawker Beech outsources a lot of stuff nowadays... and quality has gone down the tubes. IIRC, They now manufacture most of their stuff out of Chihuahua, Mexico.

The A-29 is planned to be manufactured in Jacksonville, FL... supposedly will create 1200 US jobs. Also, the AT-6 has, as you know, its roots in the PC-9 license... so not truly an all "American" aircraft design. I think that Hawker Beech is a half Canadian company too.

STOVLer

pilot
sweet pics and video. In the words of Robert Goulet, "you win, you always do..."

Do you know if it has a targeting pod capability like the AT-6 appears to?
A couple more pics for fun:

Attachments

• HGP_0713 13x19 v1a.jpg
    HGP_0713 13x19 v1a.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 25
  • HGP_1506 9x19a.jpg
    HGP_1506 9x19a.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 24
  • HGP_1547 13x19 v1a.jpg
    HGP_1547 13x19 v1a.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 22

Flying Toaster

None
sweet pics and video. In the words of Robert Goulet, "you win, you always do..."

Do you know if it has a targeting pod capability like the AT-6 appears to?
A couple more pics for fun:

This is the Embraer propaganda video and it mentions something about a FLIR pod, not sure if it's for targeting as well.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I wonder how that FLIR ball compares to a LITENING pod. It's certainly a lot smaller, and must be a lot lighter.