• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Astigmatism options?

xtreme_rob

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
I finished my SNA Physical Last week and was diagnosed with an astigmatism in both eyes. I am a little unsure of the accuracy, because I had 20/20 through Aviation Med, but through Optometry, I had 20/30 in my right eye with an astigmatism of -0.75
they also said I have developed -0.50 in my right eye, with 20/20
It seems that my results seem to rise and fall... I have 20/25 combined corrected to 20/20. What are the chances my vision will deteriorate, if selected for STA-21, and am I eligible for PRK if during NROTC? How well can PRK correct an astigmatism? How often are PRK particapant's not granted waivers? If still not granted a waiver post prk, what are the options? Sorry for so many questions, this has just been keeping me up at night... SO STRESSFULL!!!
:eek::eek::eek:

AFUAW

pilot
Your vision is basically the same as mine. You're within standards for SNA. Just wear glasses. No need to risk PRK.

jtmedli

pilot
You're ok as far as I know for SNA. My doc told me I had to be below 1 diopter of astigmatism in both eyes which is my problem (my left eye is 1.5 ish). They're redoing the PRK on my left eye soon and hopefully I'll be able to contract for SNA in a few months!!

amr88

Xtreme rob, Im in kinda the same situation you are in. I have a slight astigmatism in my right eye and i see 20/40 (-1.25 correction needed). the left eye is 20/20. I fall within the parameters but i have combined correctable vision to 20/20. Im worried about the NAMI guys will stress that my right eye isnt as good. At MEPS, they said it was uncorrectable, but at a civilian eye exam (before contracting AIR for USMC) she said i had correctable vision down to 20/20 minus. Should i be worried about my vision?

das

Contributor
Xtreme rob, Im in kinda the same situation you are in. I have a slight astigmatism in my right eye and i see 20/40 (-1.25 correction needed). the left eye is 20/20. I fall within the parameters but i have combined correctable vision to 20/20. Im worried about the NAMI guys will stress that my right eye isnt as good. At MEPS, they said it was uncorrectable, but at a civilian eye exam (before contracting AIR for USMC) she said i had correctable vision down to 20/20 minus. Should i be worried about my vision?

If someone told you that -1.25 diopter astigmatism that is 20/40 uncorrected is "uncorrectable", they have utterly no clue what they are talking about. If you've looked through a lens and seen better, which I assume you have since you already said a civilian optometrist said you were correctable to better than 20/20, it is, by definition, "correctable".

torpedo0126

The original post is slightly confusing...here is something to clarify what the above person said...

If someone told you that -1.25 diopter astigmatism that is 20/40 uncorrected is "uncorrectable", they have utterly no clue what they are talking about. If you've looked through a lens and seen better, which I assume you have since you already said a civilian optometrist said you were correctable to better than 20/20, it is, by definition, "correctable".

This is not exactly true, just because you "see better" does not mean shit. You have to be "correctable to 20/20." This is a problem for some people. You might be well within the eyesight limits, but for whatever reason, your eyes will not correct to 20/20. That can be disqualifying.

Example, I had a friend who had PRK done. She made it to Pensacola and at NAMI could pass the eye exams, but her eyes would not correct to 20/20. NPQed for pilot and switched to NFO. Sucks, but thats what happened.

If thats what you meant by MEPS telling you you are not correctable to 20/20 then that could be a problem. I imagine though that you are just new to all this flight physical stuff and I would get it checked again.

As to PRK...PRK WILL correct your degree of astigmatism easily. If you are going to have it, and are able to do this, factor in a good eight months of recovery time. This will let your eyes FULLY heal and things will be a lot less stressful.

amr88

Ive been doing a little more research and found out that I actually have a -2.00 astigmatism in my right eye, not good news at all since the limit is -1.00. there is absolutley no wiggle room on this right? Im going to contact my OSO tommorow and discuss this with him. If this is the only thing that will hold me back from being a piliot, ill consider PRK. What do u guys think?

torpedo0126

i mean having gotten PRK with eyes that were not that bad (didn't really need to wear glasses), i would still have gotten it knowing what I know! Seeing 20/10 is unbelievable.