• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Scores

Stopper006

So I just took the ASTB and the results were
AQR: 7; PFAR: 7; FOFAR: 6; OAR 58.

I'd just like a no BS assessment for Flight School with no previous official flight exprience and GPA 3.0.

b0pric01

pilot
I think that's pretty good. I kind of jumped head first into the ASTB, I think I studied for about a week or so. If you have any sort of math/physics/mechanical background it's pretty common sense stuff. I was lost on the naval terminology though, so that's what I studied. I used that Barron's book, even though it had a few wrong answers in it. I think I got like an 8/8/7/69 or something like that, but don't quote me. Now I'm waiting on a flight physical.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Congratulations, you passed...no BS.

Even guys who smoked the ASTB washed out of flight school...no BS.

Other than that, Magic 8 Ball says "outcome unclear"...no BS.

Adjohns5

Astb

I am a sophomore in college at Arizona State University and am trying to get into the BDCP for Pilot/NFO/SWO/Intel. I just took my ASTB this morning. My scores were 6/5/7/61 with no flying experience whatsoever are these scores good enough for those programs? My college GPA is 3.0 because I work 40-50 hours a week and have a family to care for as well. Please give me an up front no BS answer. What are my chances at getting in one of those programs with those scores? and is there a specific order that I should put my choices to try and ensure the success of my package

d3west86

Congratulations, you passed...no BS.

Even guys who smoked the ASTB washed out of flight school...no BS.

Other than that, Magic 8 Ball says "outcome unclear"...no BS.

Roger that for sure. I've known guys who barely "passed" (or even had to take it multiple times) who were very successful in flight school. I've also met guys who scored very highly on the ASTB but struggled in actual flight training. Bottom line: Make yourself as competitive as possible. Try not to compare yourself to other people. Just focus on what you need to do.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Adjohns - No need to make two separate posts about this. People will see it.

Secondly to all you guys, the reason why no one really answers is because every week we got about 10+ new people here at AW who ask "What are my chances if (insert ASTB score, GPA, or possible problem here)"

The answer is.....no one knows. Seriously I probably answer the same question almost 3-4x a week. Do some legwork and look around on this forum and compare your score to the scores of those who have been Professionally Recommended (Pro Rec'd) and Final Selected. Look at all the threads for the different boards (May, June, July, August, September 2009) and compare your stats with others.

No one here can give you an account of how good you will do at boards. The reality is that there have been people who have gotten 45 and below on the ASTB and still gotten in and those who have scored high who have gotten in too. BUT there have also been those with really high scores, high gpas, and other things that make them seem "awesome" and they get non-selected by the board.

The boards look at the 'whole person' concept and the ASTB is only a portion of that. Make sure the rest of your package is on point (LORs, Moto statement, etc. - things you can control). Also get in good with your OR as they DO write up a description of you and whether you would make a good candidate to be an officer or not as well.

As I said, DO SOME RESEARCH and use the Search button. Look up the August 2009 Boards thread and check those out, as those were the most recent boards to convene. I was a selectee in that board and I had a 62 6/6/6...so there ya go. You'll find peeps with scores all over the board with different outcomes. Good luck to you guys and if you do have any other questions, after searching extensively, let us know.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

I'd just like a no BS assessment for Flight School with no previous official flight exprience and GPA 3.0.

You might get in, you might not. Put your package in and see what happens.

Tomodachi

pilot
Dont forget about PT. I havent been to OCS/flight school but I do know from my military experience that being in shape will make things alot easier if you arent holding you class up.

CUPike11

None
Contributor
CUPike,

When you say your OR does a write up, are you talking about the last form in this file?

http://navy-officer.com/CompleteApplication.pdf

No I am not. The remarks section is overflow for applicants. I used that section to detail all the countries I had to been to, when, why, and how many times. Also to explain speeding tix and anything else I needed room for as well.

You won't see the form that they submit, depending on your relationship with your OR. They write it up and so does the processor I believe and they give their .02 cents and submit that with your package. The board takes those into consideration because your OR is the person that knows you the best at the moment.....or should at least.

BTP1368

Pro-Rec SWO!!!
No I am not. The remarks section is overflow for applicants. I used that section to detail all the countries I had to been to, when, why, and how many times. Also to explain speeding tix and anything else I needed room for as well.

You won't see the form that they submit, depending on your relationship with your OR. They write it up and so does the processor I believe and they give their .02 cents and submit that with your package. The board takes those into consideration because your OR is the person that knows you the best at the moment.....or should at least.

I was not referring to the remarks section of the application. I used that to explain speeding tickets as well haha, and some other stuff on my application. I was referring to a document at the very end of the file that has a space for comments by the OR, OP, and OPO. I never met my OPO and don't know how they would be able to comment on me. I guess if someone has an average relationship with their OR then that just makes their LOR's and officer interviews that much more important.

CUPike11

None
Contributor
I was not referring to the remarks section of the application. I used that to explain speeding tickets as well haha, and some other stuff on my application. I was referring to a document at the very end of the file that has a space for comments by the OR, OP, and OPO. I never met my OPO and don't know how they would be able to comment on me. I guess if someone has an average relationship with their OR then that just makes their LOR's and officer interviews that much more important.

Ha my bad, i didn't go all the way to the end of the document. When I first got sent the application back when I started applying, everything after the moto statement was not attached. They only completed that after you did the application. But yes, that document is it and thats what they will send to the boards.

Your relationship with your OR is mainly determined by you. My OR was much like everyone elses at first. He wanted to make sure I was serious about going through with this process. Once he saw that I was and that I was actively staying in contact with him each week about what I needed or had to turn in, he started doing more and more. I live 20 min from my NRD, so it was easy to run down there and hand all my docs to him in person. Other ORs, my CO and XO started taking notice that I was there almost every week and thus they began to do things to help my package along as well. Do what you can, but as I said, your relationship with your OR is solely determined by your efforts. You don't have to go out of your way to try to be buddy buddy, but they'll take notice of your efforts.

BTP1368

Pro-Rec SWO!!!
^^^

Oh I agree, only you can determine what type of relationship you have with your OR. My OR's office is over an hour from where I live, so needless to say I am not up there every week. During the application process I e-mailed/called him pretty consistently. Now that I'm up for boards I'm not going to bother him until after results come out. I figure he is pretty busy with other applicants.

reilama

I took the astb too and my results were 60 6/6/7
I got a BS mayor chemistry GPA 3.3.
I'm finishing my package for Dec 09 and want to be selected in order of preference SWO/Metoc option, Supply and the third I don't know yet. I hope you lucky with your application and get selected.