• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Scores

Lisa10

OKay, so I'm an NROTC student, senior, and I just got my ASTB scores back and am pretty disappointed. I got a 5 5 4 and an OAR of 56%. People are telling me that's fine because I have an outstanding high on the PRT and a 3.8 GPA, and am ranked well in my class; but I'm just not so sure. My package for flight school will be delayed anyway because I'm getting PRK on my eyes in October and have to wait to do the physical. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should try again or ??? Thanks I really appreciate it.

nugget81

pilot
If you aren't happy with your scores and you believe that you can do better, why wouldn't you try again? You have up to 3 attempts on the ASTB. Work hard on the areas that you believe are your weakest, and when you are comfortable, go take it again. You should find that it will be easier the second time around, especially if you study hard. Take a look at the ASTB links here at AW for more help. Good Luck!

Lisa10

Thanks for the advice...the only problem with that is that they only accept the most recent scores and i'm not sure i want to chance doing worse in any area. I studied a lot for this one (if you can believe it) and thought I did alright. Which i guess I did, but I hate just doing "alright." I appreciate the input!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Trust me you can't do worse. I used to administer the ASTB and I never saw anyone's score go down. Now that you've been exposed to the test format, just study a bit and take it again. The test format is the hardest part.....
ea6bflyr

RiceOwl06

Well, supposedly for ROTC students, as long as you just pass the test, then you are okay for service selection and the ASTB results aren't calculated in there. This was from our class advisor, who administered the test for us. Heck, I don't even know my score... If someone else has heard otherwise correct me on that one. I know there has been debate about that in months past. But I don't think my advisor would give bad gouge.

Lisa10

astb

I'm going to ask guy in charge of this stuff tomorrow about that, but I believe they are trying to change it so that as long as you pass the ASTB, it's the other stuff that really matters...I don't think that has been implemented yet.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
RiceOwl06 said:
Well, supposedly for ROTC students, as long as you just pass the test, then you are okay for service selection and the ASTB results aren't calculated in there. This was from our class advisor, who administered the test for us. Heck, I don't even know my score... If someone else has heard otherwise correct me on that one. I know there has been debate about that in months past. But I don't think my advisor would give bad gouge.

My XO said that they are still using the old format where the ASTB counts and they have the new format where the ASTB is pass/fail right beside it. She (XO) was saying that they need to see if the new format will change who gets what (pilot or not). She was thinking that it would be around 3-5 more years before they can collect enough data to see if the new format would make a difference or not after people go through the pipeline.

RiceOwl06

I would still check if I were you. Our advisor told us last year that they were using the new formula. I, being paranoid, still ask him for my score, and he won't give it to me. So there must be different gouge being floated out there, and it would be nice if someone had something official in writing. I'm not saying your XO is wrong, I'm just not saying my guy is wrong either.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
yeah, this gets thrown around alot. My XO said they used the old formula last year so its hard to get the real truth.

flyboy25

FlyBoy25
Lisa10 said:
OKay, so I'm an NROTC student, senior, and I just got my ASTB scores back and am pretty disappointed. I got a 5 5 4 and an OAR of 56%. People are telling me that's fine because I have an outstanding high on the PRT and a 3.8 GPA, and am ranked well in my class; but I'm just not so sure. My package for flight school will be delayed anyway because I'm getting PRK on my eyes in October and have to wait to do the physical. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should try again or ??? Thanks I really appreciate it.
If you scored a 554 on ASTBs on your first try, don't sweat it esp. if you are going Navy, those score qualify you for both pilot and NFO. As the other response said, you have 2 more attempts. However, if you are USMC...that's different. MC requires a 4/6 ..6 being one of your FAR scores. You only get 1 more attempt for MC. However, if you DO score the required 6 then you are set. Just a check in the box for qualifying, not an issue if you don't get an 8 or 9. Good luck!

flyboy25

FlyBoy25
flyboy25 said:
If you scored a 554 on ASTBs on your first try, don't sweat it esp. if you are going Navy, those score qualify you for both pilot and NFO. As the other response said, you have 2 more attempts. However, if you are USMC...that's different. MC requires a 4/6 ..6 being one of your FAR scores. You only get 1 more attempt for MC. However, if you DO score the required 6 then you are set. Just a check in the box for qualifying, not an issue if you don't get an 8 or 9. Good luck!
Sorry....just want to clarify that I'm qaulified with my response. I've only taken the ASTB once and had similar results.......Scored 5 5 6 53, and only had a 3.3 GPA. So again, you'll be fine!!

Lisa10

thank you that makes me feel a lot better...as I'm sure you guys all know I want this SOOOO bad!! I get PRK (eye surgery) in 2 weeks...can't wait!! If any of you have questions about that please feel free to ask...I'll keep an update.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
flyboy25 said:

Be careful in thinking about the scores as 'qualifying'. There is a big difference between qualifying and being competitive. Those scores are right around the 50 percentile; so they are average. If you want to be competitive, try to shoot for 6's and 7's.

Your grades are good so that helps out alot. If they are using the old formula, your pt is looked as a pass/fail so how you do doesnt matter. If they are using the new formula, then you are good-to-go cause the astb is looked as pass/fail and the pt has a weighted value.

Im a fan of the old formula because i did good on the astb but im not the best pt'er.

RiceOwl06

So does anyone yet have official documentation on the service selection breakdown? Does the ASTB count, or is it just a check in the box to pass? It would be nice if someone had something official vice word of mouth. I tried searching online, but found nothing.

flyboy21

I'm a 1/C and I was in my senior advisor's office the other day when he called down to Pensacola to specifically ask if the ASTB was still going to be weighted this year with the old system or if was just pass fail. He was told that we're still on the old system, at least for this year's service selection, of having the ASTB count for the 40% of the package. That's what I'm going by.