• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Questions

T-man

My guess (and this is just an educated guess, I have no data to back it up) is that the OAR is calculated based on a sample of the questions, not every single question in the test. Even at that, they may go so far as to do psychological evaluations based on the answers you gave (i.e. some questions may not have a single right answer, or a specific wrong answer can be used in the evaluation).

MarketPro

The OAR score is a Composite Score. Like the ACT and SAT and all other standardized tests that rely on composites, each question is given a weight (or value) based on its degree of difficulty. When your test is graded, the total value of the correct answers is summed and you are given your Composite Score. It is different than a percentage. Composites seek to match results to a Bell Curve more accurately than a simple right/wrong results test.

The Bell Curve gives selection boards the ability to see how you differentitate yourself from the pack. Hence, on the ASTB, an OAR score of 40 is considered minimum, but does not translate directly to a "50%" passing grade. A 40 is - according to the Navy - indicative of a higher than average score, though they may have to change that soon.

With the introduction of the computer based ASTB, the sections are now as follows for the OAR:

1) Math Knowledge (27 Questions)
2) Reading Comprehension (25 Questions)
3) Mechanical Comprehension (30 Questions)

More time is allotted for sections 1 and 2 now as well.

Smallz

Nugget,
Thanks man, I all ready have all that info; I gues I am good to go then. I take the ASTB in two days, and I feel good about it. I AM GOING FOR INTELL

hrntcat18

hey dpiddycanfly what is a GRE, did bad on my astb with a 3/5/3 32 total. jezz huh! but yeah if its a book please lemme know where i can get it. need all the help i can get, been out of math too long..not too many old dogs (or squids in my case) can learn new tricks. thanks

titoj

Future former Wall Street-er
The GRE is the admissions exam for grad school - just like the SAT is the admissions exam for undergrad. Any book with practice material and explanations is good. After all, you're not actually taking the GRE, just practicing the overlapping concepts.

14BMAC

How is this thing scored?

I have a flight aptitude book and from what I am reading the ASTB is scored on a curve depending on how many people you take the test with. Is this right? If so, where in the US does most of the low scoring happen so that I can get 8's and 9's.

nugget81

pilot
Smallz, thanks for the extra info...
14BMAC, the scoring is still a big mystery to me. I hadn't heard anything about a running curve though. I would think that it's less based on geographic location than the actual knowledge of the person taking the test. The best advice I can give is to study hard and study smart. When are you taking the test?

zwinger

thanks for gouge guys, i have 2 more chances to bring up my scores to make it more competitive; am appling to the seaman to admiral program.

Smallz

Nugget,
I already took the test for the second time. The first time I score a 40, in essence I didn't study at all. The second time I took the test, I scored better. I really didn't score what I would of liked to, but my recruiter said I would have a shot for Supply. I have strong LOFs and high GPA and good school. I am very busy right now, so I think that may have had a problem in my scores. Best advive to give you is study the gouge on this site, and ask questions if you have them.

Smallz

Yes it is. That site helped me alot of it. It should tell what kind of questions you should expect on the ASTB. Study it hard, and you should be set to go!