• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB question

speeddypat

None
Hey all,
well i guess i have two questions...
alright so can someone just please explain what "tension" is refering too... i get all the mechanical advanatage and everything on the gouge, just a little confused what a tension question would look like (forgive me if this is blatantly obvious!)

also... anyone know abbreviations for missiles? think they'd even be on the test? i'm taking it on friday and just trying to finish up the studying, thanx for the help!

cmquaker

There will be no missile abbreviations on the ASTB. You may be asked about names of aircraft, but no missiles.

Tension refers to the amount of force on a string. A string holding up a two pound block would have twice the tension of a string holding a one pound block.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I saw a question asking me for the designation of a sidewider missle.

balt

argh
I saw a question asking me for the designation of a sidewider missle.

I took the test a week ago and had the same question. I'm not sure if there are similar questions on all the forms but it would be a good idea to learn a bit in that area.

speeddypat

None
thanx a lot guys that's really helpful actually... i thought missiles were pretty random but glad to know that they're useful to study!

balt

argh
thanx a lot guys that's really helpful actually... i thought missiles were pretty random but glad to know that they're useful to study!

Like many things on the ASTB, you should probably get more of a general rather than specific knowledge of them. If you study specific items too much you will probably not get the amount of general knowledge that you need. The opposite can also be true, though, so keep that in mind.
Anyway, good luck. Study hard.

speeddypat

None
just wanted to thank everyone for their help studying for the test, i just got my scores back today and this site was definitely a great source of information!!! thanx again

lucian_boy

just for general info since we all might all be avaitor someday. a sidewinder is code named M-9 and M-9X; the M-9X is the newer version.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
just for general info since we all might all be avaitor someday. a sidewinder is code named M-9 and M-9X; the M-9X is the newer version.

Eh...I think you meant "AIM-9" and "AIM-9X." I hate to be that guy, but that's the designation for the Sidewinder.

"AIM" stants for "air intercept missile" or something similar to that, as "AGM" is "air to ground missile."

Anyway...yeah, study general info. Watch "The Right Stuff." There are links here for sample ASTB's. Study those, you'll do great. It's not the beast of a test that some people make it out to be.