• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - Prep/Study Guide feedback

AshleyinHB

Hey everyone. So I'm going to be taking my ASTB at the end of August.

I was wondering if anyone had any helpful studying tips they could pass down to me?

So far for studying I'm going through the info my recruiter sent me, this pdf: www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/download/MilitaryFlight.pdf, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge by the FAA, an ex-Marine Colonel who flew F-18s, my dad and a few of his old Navy books. My father used to be a F-4 pilot during Vietnam and my grandpa was a C.A.P. during WWII. I figured it would be kind of awesome to be a 3rd generation pilot in my family. :)

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Stalin

Thank you everyone on this forum! I followed the advice on this thread and read the study materials, and took the ASTB today. 9/9/9 73! :)

ayjay4victory

Thank you everyone on this forum! I followed the advice on this thread and read the study materials, and took the ASTB today. 9/9/9 73! :)

Sorry if it's been posted already but...

Stalin- or anyone else who has taken the OAR recently... Was the math portion similar to the questions found in the Arco books and the resources in this/other threads? Easier? Harder?

I have the OAR scheduled for this Friday 07/16/10 and was curious. Thanks for any help!!

bautista

Sorry if it's been posted already but...

Stalin- or anyone else who has taken the OAR recently... Was the math portion similar to the questions found in the Arco books and the resources in this/other threads? Easier? Harder?

I have the OAR scheduled for this Friday 07/16/10 and was curious. Thanks for any help!!

ayjay the math portion seemed to be easier than the arco books but they help if you reviewed them.

Did anyone use anything other than the arco books to prepare for the reading comprehension? I felt the reading comprehension killed me so if there is any suggestions anyone could give me it would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Stalin

Ugh, I just posted a reply but it didn't go through! Well this comment will be a little more ghetto. I'm hungry and don't feel like typing everything again, but I will cause I'm that nice.

The person who asked about math--my advice is to take a practice test or two! It will help you gauge time. I found the ASTB easier than the books honestly. Be comfortable with all the math problems in the book and discussed on this board, trust me you'll need them. Don't get too bogged down with a question, and NEVER LEAVE ONE BLANK!!!!!!!!! On the practice test, I was pretty sure about 3 or so, but I didn't write the answers down and ran out of time... and they were all right! On the ASTB, you can mark questions for later review.

To the post above about reading comprehension, yes, I thought the ASTB was harder on this aspect. I wasn't sure about literally half of them. Once again, don't take too long, and my biggest tip really is to forget all background knowledge and go by ONLY what the passage says. It's great if you know a lot about X, and it may be true, but if it doesn't say X in the passage, then you're wrong! Also, pay attention to words like "always" and "never," and words like "could" or "may." Most things are not black and white, and if you can think of a case, even just one, where X isn't always Y, then it is incorrect. With words like "may be" it is saying that X could be Y, but not all the time. I'm not saying this is always the case, just be careful with those words.

One more thing, read that word document on this forum, someone posted his personal study guide. I was lucky, I forgot about it until the last night and that document helped me immensly! READ IT!

Hope this has helped someone, even if yall are my competition hungry for MY pilot slot :)

bautista

Thanks for the advice stalin, I just got to read through the text more carefully and just take what I get from the passage. I also felt like I was guessing on all of them, but once again thanks.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Just took the astb today and had gotten 7 7 6 58

All I can say is spatial app sucked on the test compared to the barron's or arco.. Message me if you want advice..

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
before the spatial test they give instructions and show examples for each type of angle that will be show on the test.. I recommend taking your time slowly to review them because they will be harder than you think.. and the quality is much more poorer than in arco's .. Mine had a lot of weird angle coastlines never seen before in the practice guides... but all test are different .. But the poor quality made it tough to decipher what was what..

E

ebolamonkey

When I took it the first time I just used the Marines Mechanical Gouge and the Math Gouge found on here: http://www.navy-officer.com/

I got a 63 the first time when minimum preparation with form 3. Recently I took the ASTB again studying via Peterson, doing the sections and practice exams on different editions (6th and 7th both free), read more gouge on Math and Mechanical, got reading down solid and... got a 59 on form 4. If you want to study only study once and hardcore for form 3 only because form 4 is really something else and I am pretty sure form 5 isn't a walk in the park either.

woemajor

The best thing I could tell you for reading comprehension is to read for at least 2 hours everyday. This should certainly help.