• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB No Longer Part of Service Selection Equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
See, there you go again, implying that an english major is not difficult. I bet you couldn't hack it with your math based mind. I bet you would struggle after one real literature class with REAL papers and not that garbage you wrote for freshman english. Look at the top law schools in America, they are most highly populated by english and history majors........... Think about that before you knock it.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
hahahah..... okay, good point. I am done debating. Definately curious as to whether this rumor about no ASTB is true or not. I find it hard to believe. My OSO did tell me they were having trouble with the new ASTB, however, and that they aren't even allowed to administer version 3.

DairyCreamer

E6286 said:
See, there you go again, implying that an english major is not difficult. I bet you couldn't hack it with your math based mind. I bet you would struggle after one real literature class with REAL papers and not that garbage you wrote for freshman english. Look at the top law schools in America, they are most highly populated by english and history majors........... Think about that before you knock it.

Where did I knock the degree in my last post?

One more thing I forgot to add.

My XO, a P-3 NFO, added that NSTC said you must score atleast 4's and 5's on the ASTB in order to qualify for aviation. That is all the more the ASTB does for you anymore, if you are in NROTC. I do not know whether or not it affects you OCS guys and I am not willing to speculate. And apparently this new formula is warfare-specialty-wide, not just for aviation but also SWO's and Nukes too, hence the "Service Selection Formula" title.

Go figure.

jai5w4

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
pennst8 said:
Can anyone out there independently confirm the changes Jai5w4 posted?

This sounds pretty different than the old standards. Not only the elimination of the ASTB but also counting the PFA for 10%...

Until someone who isn't a mid says this is the real deal, I call bull****. I'll take it back if I'm wrong.
smile.gif

Believe it when you see the Naval Message on it, or see it in action. Im not sure anyone here could confirm or deny this gouge... sounds kinda like that whole no more PRK ever thread a while back- but who knows, only time will tell

pennst8 said:
(Also Jai5w4, why'd you post this in 3 different threads... one would have been good enough and kept it from being confusing... just a thought

Yeah, WTF?^^. If you can't go back and delete the extras, Hopefully one of the Mods can either merge the three or delete two of them...

zippy said:
Believe it when you see the Naval Message on it, or see it in action. Im not sure anyone here could confirm or deny this gouge... sounds kinda like that whole no more PRK ever thread a while back- but who knows, only time will tell

Yeah, WTF^^. If you can't go back and delete the extras, Hopefully one of the Mods can either merge the three or delete two of them...

Just trying to spread the word. No need to get angry. This is huge, huge, huge, huge news for a lot of us out there. That's all. Have a good one.

jai5w4

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I am a little skeptical about this. How would this formula work for OCS guys? I cant see the Navy making new standards that would leave out a commisioning source. Like others have said we will wait and see. Don't get all fired up over it yet. There have been so many rumors that have been just that. Do your best and let the chips fall where they may.

I have a meeting scheduled for Thursday at 1430 with the XO. I will have more information on the new formula afterwards and will post any additional changes or reasonings then.

I realize I am just a Midshipman, but I see no reason why the XO would tell me any of this if it were not already approved by NSTC, like he says it is.

j

drumnum52

Hey OCS Guys,
I just got word from my recruiter that she hadn't heard anything about it. In other words, for us atleast, things are still the same with the ASTB.

FLYMARINES said:
jai5w4-your XO could just be pulling your leg-just a thought.

Doubt it. He knows this isn't something to joke with me about considering the ASTB was going to be the fether in my avaition packages' cap.

j

Status
Not open for further replies.