• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

FleetR

Work on some hard math word problems. Logs are were simple, I saw no Multiplication Matrices which I crammed on, and some simple arithmetic with absolute numbers, and brackets mixed in with the parenthesis. No quadratics or linear equations that I ran into. But thats not to say they wont be there.

FleetR

5 painters in 7 hours paint one house. each painter, if we assume everyone works at the same rate, paints 1/35 of the house per hour. Therefore (1/35*5*2) + (1/35*8*x)=35/35 or 1 house. Then, 10/35 + 8x/35=1. Solve for x. 8x=25=3 1/8. 5 hours and 7.2 minutes from start. Therefore 1907
This exact question was on my test.

CBaum

I marked up my books pretty good, but I will give them away if anyone is interested. I have printouts, index cards, and some of the gouge printed out from here as well. Just looking to pay it forward. Everyone on here was a huge help.

Frost724

I marked up my books pretty good, but I will give them away if anyone is interested. I have printouts, index cards, and some of the gouge printed out from here as well. Just looking to pay it forward. Everyone on here was a huge help.

Hey CBaum, This is my first time posting though I have read this forum for a long time. I am very interested in your study materials and gouge. Congratulations, by the way on the awesome score. I took the old version of the ASTB a while ago and didn't do so well. I got a little disheartened by my scores, but I still have the determination to push myself to the next level. I scored a 5/5/5/46 on my first test and then scored worse on the second with 4/5/4/41. I studied a lot longer for the second one and maybe that potentially was my downfall.

I little about myself is I graduate from The Richard Stockton College of NJ with a BS in Business Administration and a GPA of 3.6 in May of 2012. When I graduated I started working with a recruiter out of NRD Philadelphia, For about 6-7 months after graduating this was my life preparing and working on application material for the board. Though like most college graduates, the bills started coming and now I work as an assistant underwriter for an insurance wholesaler, but I have always been passionate about the military, especially the Navy.

I have never done well with standardized tests though, but I have always excelled at class work and practical hands on learning. This site is wonderful and I have learned a lot from it and test prep books but it always come back to if I am studying the right material to prepare myself. Bottom line, I am very grateful for any and all help.

Last edited:

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Just curious if anyone has compiled a list of gouge that applies for the new ASTB-E? I'm going to start studying to take the test later this summer and I'm having trouble discerning which gouge is for the newer test and which is for the old. If not, I might be able to get around to doing it next week.

NW IA

Just curious if anyone has compiled a list of gouge that applies for the new ASTB-E? I'm going to start studying to take the test later this summer and I'm having trouble discerning which gouge is for the newer test and which is for the old. If not, I might be able to get around to doing it next week.

The only thing that is different about the ASTB-E compared to the old version is the performanced based measures, and you get plenty of practice during the test for that section. Study the existing gouge for the math, reading, mechanical, and aviation/naval sections and you'll do fine.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
The only thing that is different about the ASTB-E compared to the old version is the performanced based measures, and you get plenty of practice during the test for that section. Study the existing gouge for the math, reading, mechanical, and aviation/naval sections and you'll do fine.

Oh ok, I was under the impression that they tweaked some of the other sections too. Thanks for the heads up, now time to hit the books.

unclelou

the test about having to look at the map and the parking lot was confusing!
maybe i didnt understand the question.
any help will do brothers?

Sundevil106150

Hey for what unclelou said, how do you read the map on the parking lot pdf format on like page 6 of this forum. I do not know the exact page its on but I am not sure how they are getting the answers they are getting. All i see is a picture and a plane but how do you determine the direction. Does it say your facing this direction but the plane is in this direction? If someone can go into painful detail that would be awesome! I know it may seem simple but it isn't clicking for me for some reason. Taking the test July 5th and have been studying for 3 months so this is the last portion really that I need to just look over.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey for what unclelou said, how do you read the map on the parking lot pdf format on like page 6 of this forum. I do not know the exact page its on but I am not sure how they are getting the answers they are getting. All i see is a picture and a plane but how do you determine the direction. Does it say your facing this direction but the plane is in this direction? If someone can go into painful detail that would be awesome! I know it may seem simple but it isn't clicking for me for some reason. Taking the test July 5th and have been studying for 3 months so this is the last portion really that I need to just look over.
Are you referring to this post?

IF so, the key is to look at the ARROWS. One ARROW will show you the direction of NORTH. The other ARROW show the direction the UAV is looking. Then they ask you to identify the parking lot to the N/E/S/W. Hope this helps.

Raul B

Took the ASTB-E/APEX 4 today at the NRD Houston.

Performance Based Measures

First part was pretty simple. They show you a North up map, and a symbol of which way you are facing. Then there is a picture of a building and four parking lots and they ask you which one is in which cardinal direction. You need to be fast and accurate for this. They change around the direction you're facing and it can get a bit disorienting. Make some flash cards and practice.

Then you're given a joystick, a throttle, and a headset. First, they start you off by telling you which ear to listen in. Then, you click a button on the stick if you hear an odd number in that ear, and press a button on the throttle if you hear an even number in that ear. Random strings of letters and numbers are fed into both ears. .

1st off thanks for all the really helpful info! Until you posted, things were a lot more vague on this new exam. Quick question....are the letters (and number 9) phonetically given or are is is just W 5 F 3 B, etc.?

Did anyone get questions on meteorology, space, naval instrumentation or naval history? It seems hit or miss (mostly miss), but thought I'd ask.

Cheers!

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
Took the new ASTB yesterday (had taken the old one last year) and got 59 7/7/7 (I'm pretty stoked.)

A few tips for the PBMs. On the UAV questions, I figured out a little trick that made them much easier... I'll try to explain. The straight in ones (ie, flying directly N W E or S) should be fairly simple. If the arrow is pointing due South (straight down on the left topographical map), then the parking lot closest to you on the right side diargram is going to be North... Fairly straight forward. The angled ones are a bit trickier though. For those, think of the parking lots as being to the left or right with regard to the point of your UAV's arrow, and not NEW or S. In any possible situation, the target parking lot will only be 1 or 2 "steps" to the left or right of your UAV's arrow. For example, if your UAV arrow (left side map) is looking to the Southeast (ie, flying from the top left corner of the map towards the bottom right corner of the map), then North will be one step left, East will be two steps left, West will be one step right, and South will be two steps right. This pattern will still be true once you look at the right side map. Thus, when you are asked to find "X" parking lot, all you have to do is count the number of "steps," and the direction of those steps on the left side map, and then count the same number of steps on the right side map in the same direction and you will get them correct basically everytime. This is much easier to show than tell, so if that doesn't click for you and you'd like me to show you, feel free to PM me and I'll show you on skype or something.

On the stick and throttle part, READ THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. I just spam-clicked my way through the rest of the section's directions (because I'd taken the test before), and realized when I started the diachotic listening part that I couldn't remember 100% whether the left button was for odds or evens, and had a moment of minor panic. Luckily I guessed right. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to guess, just read the damn instructions. In that same regard, when you get to the emergency maneuvers section, make sure you take the time to throughouly memorize the possible situations and their respective solutions.

Other than that, don't worry if you feel like a grade-A moron while taking the PBMs. I'm fairly sure anyone watching would have thought I have cerebral paulsy and I managed to get 7's all the way across. It's supposed to be hard... Just try your best and know that no person would actually be good at that test the first time they took it.

PS - the equipment used was Thrustmaster something or other... pretty wonky to be honest.

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
Here's my attempt to explain how I approached the UAV questions. There's a good chance this could confuse you more than it helps, but it's what finally made them click for me. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Attachments

• ASTB Practice[1].pdf
    92.4 KB · Views: 173

Tcoley

So, as Im doing some last minute review, any last minute advice friends? I took it initially in March (see first post about my 5 hour experience -_-) and so Ive waited the 3 months and take it tomorrow at 1 pm in Tampa. I doubt it has changed since haha.....I did purchase the ASTB E guide from accepted and it was much more streamlined and I really liked it in supplementation to my Barrons guide and I also have the FAA pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge (it just goes into extreme detail of what the study guides tell you anyways, but still very helpful!)

lets hope tomorrow is a good day and that my recruiters computer doesn't crash 4 times again.....I got a 49 4/3/4 first time, with a little less than a month of studying and not knowing what exactly to expect on the whole test. I feel that since I know what to expect + 3 months to prepare/past 2 weeks of studying as much as I can when not working, that I should do better....wish me luck!