• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

Rubleaa

5 painters in 7 hours paint one house. each painter, if we assume everyone works at the same rate, paints 1/35 of the house per hour. Therefore (1/35*5*2) + (1/35*8*x)=35/35 or 1 house. Then, 10/35 + 8x/35=1. Solve for x. 8x=25=3 1/8. 5 hours and 7.2 minutes from start. Therefore 1907

Tyler Houston

Not that new of a member
Hey all,
Took the ASTB today and scored 8/8/8 with an OAR of 75.
I cannot thank you guys enough for all your input and all the gouge that helped me along the way. I am beyond pleased with my scores and this forum is definitely a huge component of the success I had with regard to the test. I will post on here with my experience after I detox a little bit. Thanks again!

NavyET

I just took the OAR and I felt I did pretty well on the math and reading portions, but the mechanical comprehension section really kicked my butt. All of the study guides made the mechanical comprehension section look like it was about pulleys, gears, levers, etc. That was not at all what I encountered. I got a lot of questions about calculating gravitational force and other topics that go way above and beyond gears and levers. If I take the OAR again, what do I study for this portion of the test to really be ready for this section of the test? What books can I get that will help me?

exNavyOffRec

I just took the OAR and I felt I did pretty well on the math and reading portions, but the mechanical comprehension section really kicked my butt. All of the study guides made the mechanical comprehension section look like it was about pulleys, gears, levers, etc. That was not at all what I encountered. I got a lot of questions about calculating gravitational force and other topics that go way above and beyond gears and levers. If I take the OAR again, what do I study for this portion of the test to really be ready for this section of the test? What books can I get that will help me?

Considering we don't even know your score there is the fact that you may not need to take it again.

zarevich

Was looking through STA-21 web page and somehow ended up with this SAMPLE TEST for ASTB-E, not sure if it has been posted yet but it has questions from EASY -> INTERMEDIATE -> DIFFICULT -> VERY DIFFICULT. Few questions for each section, pretty good stuff, it did give me a better idea what to prepare for.

Attachments

• ASTB_SampleQuestions_14Nov2013[1].pdf
    805.9 KB · Views: 270

Tcoley

Hey everyone, just found this site and I am very glad I joined. So I took the ASTB E here in Tampa this past Wednesday....my question before I go into more detail of my journey is did anyone have issues taking their exam? I don't know if it was the computer or apex software but I was kicked off about 5 times and despite being able to go back to where I left off, what was supposed to take about 2.5 hours took me close to 6. Frustrating to say the least (I also had to wait a month before I took this test because the throttle and stick were broken and had to be repaired in Pensacola) I received a 49/4/3/4 and I feel good with those scores but I am not sure if having to stop and start and wait for apex to load again disrupted my focus etc. I just didn't know of anyone else had issues taking the exam and if you think it might have affected how you did....I am retaking it in June! My Chief told me to shoot for 50 and 6s and above for aviation...he said I can put in for SWO but would be waiting till end of year before boards...I have a history degree from FSU and a 2.9 GPA....not amazing but I was active in my fraternity, campus ministry, studied abroad, and worked part time as well...I also was told maybe supply corps or intel. Sorry to ramble guys, thank you in advance for any advice! My fraternity brother is currently in Meridian at "hooker" school after just finishing up at Corpus Christi and has been a good source of info....I want to ace this astb in June and knock it out of the park! Thanks for letting join in on conversation.

Tyler Houston

Not that new of a member
As promised earlier this week, here's my experience with the ASTB:

I have covered a lot of stuff on the ASTB in recent college courses (mostly physics courses) and honestly just reviewed the night before using the ACCEPTED ASTB STUDY GUIDE.
That being said, I have stalked all the ASTB posts on here relentlessly and looked over and grew familiar with the contents of the ASTB through about 3 months of browsing. Of course whenever someone posted their study guide, I would attempt to familiarize myself with all the contents.
Here are my tips for studying for each section:
Math: khanacademy.org was an awesome site for brushing up on the math concepts that I had forgotten over the years. Look through the ASTB forums and use the math website to review the concepts brought up by all the other guys on the forum (matrices, fractional exponents, etc...) I am assuming you have some sort of background of up to algebra 2 for this test. If not, study, study, study. Khan academy is a good resource for beginning to work through Algebra 2 level problems.

Reading: Just like some of the other guys said, the reading gets very dense very quickly. It is a ton of thick Navy jargon. Something I found that was helpful was that I used scratch paper, wrote out A, B, C, D on the page and would then after reading the passage would attempt to permanently eliminate answers. I would then cross out that letter and attempt to focus on the remaining answers. Without my sheet method, I would simply scan the answers and get a little overwhelmed trying to eliminate them mentally. Just take your time on this, I probably only answered 15 questions and did not finish before time ran out.

Mechanical: The ACCEPTED guide was kind of helpful here. I had an early edition of the book and it was very poorly made. Review simple machines (levers, wedges, pulleys, fulcrums), review acceleration, velocity, and acceleration due to gravity (G's and definition of G forces). There are some study guides posted on here that really hit the nail on the head. All in all, my background studies in physics really came to the rescue here. I am not familiar with any great basic physics websites with practice problems but they're probably out there.

Aviation: The ACCEPTED guide helped a little bit here. Know nautical terms, know parts of an airplane. I believe it was Notorious Nate who started the APEX ASTB thread and in his post he said to review the classification system for planes (know the letter designations for planes/helicopters because it comes in handy here). This section is pretty straightforward. I remember I needed to know the first man to fly faster than the speed of sound (Charles Yeager).

NATFI: This was actually the most mind blowing part of the test. Made me feel like a lazy, selfish bastard who hates working with others and mouths off to his superiors. Haha just try to go for the lesser of two evils on these questions.

PBM: I actually was laughing by the end because how bad I thought I was doing. Honestly just relax and PAY ATTENTION to which ear they say is your "target" ear. The first time around, I was confused about which ear I was supposed to be listening to at first but picked things back up toward the end. The joystick sucks and the throttle sucked even more. Things will get embarrassing but do your best and try to focus all the way through.

Final tips: To be perfectly honest, I was laughing at how awful I thought I was doing the whole time. I let the whole "computer adaptive" test get in my head so that I analyzed the difficulty of the next question and thought I must have answered the previous question incorrectly. My advice is: Don't psyche yourself out! I literally was playing mind games with myself. So I would get a relatively easy question and think to myself "Shit, I missed the last one." With this mindset I actually thought I was failing for a majority of the test. Eventually I convinced myself to just take each question as it was and not think about how I was doing overall. I ended up not finishing the reading section before time ran out and I ended up doing okay so don't freak out if time is running out and start guessing C on the remaining questions. You can be pretty confident if you just try to cover all your bases and keep calm throughout the test.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the novel.
Cheers,

Tyler

navy2014

Hey everyone, just found this site and I am very glad I joined. So I took the ASTB E here in Tampa this past Wednesday....my question before I go into more detail of my journey is did anyone have issues taking their exam? I don't know if it was the computer or apex software but I was kicked off about 5 times and despite being able to go back to where I left off, what was supposed to take about 2.5 hours took me close to 6. Frustrating to say the least (I also had to wait a month before I took this test because the throttle and stick were broken and had to be repaired in Pensacola) I received a 49/4/3/4 and I feel good with those scores but I am not sure if having to stop and start and wait for apex to load again disrupted my focus etc. I just didn't know of anyone else had issues taking the exam and if you think it might have affected how you did....I am retaking it in June! My Chief told me to shoot for 50 and 6s and above for aviation...he said I can put in for SWO but would be waiting till end of year before boards...I have a history degree from FSU and a 2.9 GPA....not amazing but I was active in my fraternity, campus ministry, studied abroad, and worked part time as well...I also was told maybe supply corps or intel. Sorry to ramble guys, thank you in advance for any advice! My fraternity brother is currently in Meridian at "hooker" school after just finishing up at Corpus Christi and has been a good source of info....I want to ace this astb in June and knock it out of the park! Thanks for letting join in on conversation.

I'm out with my friends right now so forgive typos or whatever but I just got an email notification about this post and I had to say something...

I was the first person to take the new ASTB where I took it and I also had a million problems. Literally every step of the process went wrong with the new equipment or the computers or the internet. It took me all day. Plus the guy trying to administer it had other things he had to do so I was alone most of the time. I can't say whether it broke my focus, or whether it broke your focus and you could do better, but I did want to say that you weren't the only one.

I'm not a recruiter. I don't know if you can get an aviation spot with 3s and 4s. But judging by what I read here, it's on the low side, so you can submit the app but be ready to take it again if you get passed over. It's also really unlikely that a score that wouldn't get you aviation could get you intel or supply--supposedly those are harder.

Tcoley

@Tyler Houston @navy2014 thanks for the replies. I will definitely look into those study guides. I'm great at verbal it's just getting through the dense military jargon...and math wise it's just a matter of reviewing and studying as much as possible to review. I took up to college algebra...l graduated HS in 07, old guy here haha.....my friend luckily is a math teacher and she was happy to help tutor me....mechanics is not bad for me either, just again a matter of brushing up on my physics..I used the Barron's and Peterson's books that I grabbed at Barnes and noble.....I was looking at the accepted guide online today would need to order it. I had maybe only a month and 2.5 weeks to study for this past Wednesday....And yes I was laughing as well because I was thinking to myself I'm never going to get this target and listen to everything .....I was very good at the listening part, I guess it was my thinking that it would be more like a flight simulator.....and if I was desperate enough to spend 500$ on the hotas cougar system on eBay I would - but now that I know the format and how the test works, also now that I found this huge online resource, I should be good to go with 3 months of studying again....the barons study guide and the FAA manual on aeronautical knowledge plus a book on seamanship /internet study were very helpful with the terms and knowledge, making flash cards etc. plus taking the practice tests in the back of the book.....I definitely want Aviation but to be honest I will be happy with anything as being a naval officer is my goal regardless. My friend said when he took the astb is was the old version but he took the new one as a guinea pig while in ground school last summer and told me the key is to be smooth as possible and not to worry so much about not being on the target....

As for SWO I would be happy with that -but most spots are full for 2014, and yes Intel and Supply would be a long shot with my current scores

Another option for me is to take the GRE; get accepted into a health related grad program such as a masters of public health or health admin...swear in, and attend OCS post graduation .........

navy2014

@Tcoley Hah, I'm two years older than you, so you're not alone there, either. I turned too old for aviation during the application process, and was getting some family pressure not to do aviation anyway, so even though I think I'd be good at it, and it's the fastest way to OCS, that's why I'm not going for it (but am on a website about it). My ultimate goal is also to be a naval officer (as opposed to being a particular thing that happens to be a naval officer), so I'm just putting in for SWO first. I know I have a good application that could probably get me other things, but the job appeals to me in certain ways, and I will give it a try for a while. For what it's worth, people here think the SWO boards will happen before the end of the year, but that OCS dates won't be until October at the earliest.

Tcoley

@navy2014 OCS as in October 2015 or this year? Because even if I put in for aviation in June depending on my scores, assuming I get improved ones but not enough for aviation again...I should be fine if I put in SWO in June as opposed to now? I turn 26 end of May....so time frame is shrinking haha, Thx for response.

navy2014

@Tcoley Haha.. Oh ok.. I just turned 27.

Not really clear on what you were saying with "assuming I get improved [scores] but not enough for aviation again..." etc. You mean you're thinking about what would happen if you took the ASTB again, your scores went up, but you still didn't do well enough on the #/#/# for aviation, and so you apply for SWO instead in June instead of now? A couple of thoughts on that though:

1. SWO has supposedly gotten more competitive. You might still be OK with your OAR, I have no idea, but I'm not sure that anything is easier to get than aviation based on what I've read here. Of course, that's assuming a good #/#/# score on the ASTB, so maybe SWO is easier for you.

2. No one knows when apps are gonna be taken for SWO again, but it probably won't be too much earlier than June anyway. Now, will you have time to apply for aviation first before the next SWO board? No idea. One thing you need to know is that, around here, they swear that SWO won't look at your app unless you put SWO #1. My recruiter refuses to confirm that, but...

3. As far as OCS dates--someone here said that the people who are taken in the next SWO board have a chance of going to OCS sometime between October and December. Yes, October-December of this year--calendar year 2014, Navy fiscal year 2015.