• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB and GRE?

Gills

I am applying for SWO and Intel too...I thought you didn't have to take spacial apperception and aviation/nautical info unless you are applying for aviation?Spatial Apperception

My OR said that for INTEL you need to take the whole test.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
I think you'll find that if you're expecting to do well on the math section of the GRE, you'll do well on that corrosponding part of the ASTB, and if you're expecting to do well on the GRE Verbal, you'll expect to knock out the ASTB reading comprehension.
If you're a lib. arts major or the like, I would reccommend that you take up that ARCO book and get really comfortable with the sections on physics and flight orientations. That book represented the test well, I think, and should help your high school and intro physics come back to you.
I should think you shouldn't overlook any one portion of the test. My recruiter informed me that even if you're not interested in a job that requires the the aviation focused scores, it's still beneficial in looking as well rounded as possible.
I say the above having taken the GRE in Dec and the ASTB in Jan. I don't wanna put my scores to either test out in public, but i'll pm you the scores to both tests if you want to trade.

LIVEIT

Advice Needed for Moving Forward w/ OCS Post OAR score...

What designations are you applying for (in order of interest)? I had test form 5 and it was somewhat different, but many of the concepts were the same (mechanical and SAT especially). Just keep practicing and PM me with specific questions/ areas you need work if needed. For the math section I can tell you that practice is key, as well as finding the shortest/fastest way to complete them. Personally, I printed the Arco Books from online and cutout the problems I got wrong to keep practicing until I got them right. If the SAT portion is foreign to you even after all your practice tests, maybe pilot is not the best spot for you (again, I don't know what you are applying for, or how long you practiced).

I am in the same boat (no pun intended) as "Phillyflyer57..."I took the ASTB a couple of weeks ago and scored a 40 on my OAR. At the age of 26, I am seeking OCS with my goal of developing more leadership skills in Public Affairs and/or Supply Core. I have a Bachelor's degree in Marketing from Temple University and a few graduate credits towards my MA from La Salle University in Professional Communication. I am not the best at math and I am a "civilian."

After earning this score, I was considering going in as "enlisted" and getting to understand the Navy better. I am not giving up on OCS. What advice do you have for a young professional coming into the military with no experience? Should I wait and go up again after I have gained experience? Or should I take it again after 31 days? (This will be my second chance out of 3 and I DO NOT want to blow it)

LIVEIT

Advice Needed for Moving Forward w/ OCS Post OAR score...

I am in the same boat (no pun intended) as "Phillyflyer57..."I took the ASTB a couple of weeks ago and scored a 40 on my OAR. At the age of 26, I am seeking OCS with my goal of developing more leadership skills in Public Affairs and/or Supply Core. I have a Bachelor's degree in Marketing from Temple University and a few graduate credits towards my MA from La Salle University in Professional Communication. I am not the best at math and I am a "civilian."

After earning this score, I was considering going in as "enlisted" and getting to understand the Navy better. I am not giving up on OCS. What advice do you have for a young professional coming into the military with no experience? Should I wait and go up again after I have gained tactical knowledge? Or should I take it again after the 31 day mark? (This will be my second chance out of 3 and I DO NOT want to blow it).

BullGator

After earning this score, I was considering going in as "enlisted" and getting to understand the Navy better. I am not giving up on OCS. What advice do you have for a young professional coming into the military with no experience? Should I wait and go up again after I have gained experience? Or should I take it again after 31 days? (This will be my second chance out of 3 and I DO NOT want to blow it)
It depends on what you want to do: enlisted or officer. They are very different.

Talk to your OR and see if your package is competitive enough to send in with an OAR of 40. It may be. PAO is a tough designator to get selected for, so it may not be. I have also read (ask your OR: ) that going enlisted first helps with PAO selection. I've also read that the PAO board meets once a year in Oct (confirm that with your OR). It may be ok for Supply if the rest of your package is strong.

My best advice would be to go over your package and options with your OR; he or she will be able to help you the most, and will want to help you. If you decide to go enlisted, talk with an enlisted recruiter after talking to your OR. Also, pick the order of designators you want (i.e. if you pick supply for #1, you may not have a choice if selected for both designators, and it can be very difficult to change them after being selected; e.g. Make sure your #1 is your #1 choice). And finally, chose which route you want to go: enlisted, enlisted to officer, or officer.

Hope that helps. Keep in mind my advice isn't any more valuable than what I have read (I have read a lot though), as I am still a civilian. Good luck, and take some time with your decisions; they are extremely important. Also, know that enlisted recruiters will push for enlistment no matter what, and that you should confirm what they have to say with your OR if you want to go the Mustang route (enlisted, then officer). There are many on here that have enlisted first and could give a much better perspective on your questions (especially if you have specific Qs). If you would like, you could search for the enlisted to officer option and ask questions on the Questions about becoming a Navy Officer or Paths to a Commission forums.

Edit: And yes, I would take it again if you aren't selected in the next boards. Continue studying between now and then so that you are prepared to do (much) better. Study hard, but also do your research on your big questions I mentioned and on the Navy.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I am in the same boat (no pun intended) as "Phillyflyer57..."I took the ASTB a couple of weeks ago and scored a 40 on my OAR. At the age of 26, I am seeking OCS with my goal of developing more leadership skills in Public Affairs and/or Supply Corps. I have a Bachelor's degree in Marketing from Temple University and a few graduate credits towards my MA from La Salle University in Professional Communication. I am not the best at math and I am a "civilian."

After earning this score, I was considering going in as "enlisted" and getting to understand the Navy better. I am not giving up on OCS. What advice do you have for a young professional coming into the military with no experience? Should I wait and go up again after I have gained tactical knowledge? Or should I take it again after the 31 day mark? (This will be my second chance out of 3 and I DO NOT want to blow it).

As it's been said many times before, don't enlist unless being enlisted is something you truly want. Many times it not for a lack of effort, but reality; many sailor can't or won't get in a commissioning source from the enlisted side. It's very challenging and there are just so many outstanding sailors to compete against. Going straight into OCS is the best possible chance.