• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army's Alternative Professional Program - Graduate from West Point to NFL?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3361421&n8pe6c=1&categoryId=3060647

Wanted to get people's thoughts on this.

Army is allowing their top athletic prospects to go directly to professional sports while recruiting in the off-season.

ALTERNATIVE PROFESSIONAL OPTIONS: Army cadet-athletes now have options to pursue professional athletic opportunities thanks to the U.S. Army’s Alternative Service Option program. If cadet-athletes are accepted into the program, they will owe two years of active service in the Army, during which time they will be allowed to play their sport in the player development systems of their respective organizations and assigned to recruiting stations. If they remain in professional sports following those two years, they will be provided the option of “buying out” the remaining three years of their active-duty commitment in exchange for six years of reserve time.

LivinMyDream

pilot
I have mixed feelings on this:

I think it is a great opportunity for a limited number of students to recruit for West Point and the Army in general. As standout athletes and rookies, they will be interviewed and be able to provide great feedback about their education and what their fellow 2nd LT's are doing in the War. This can only benefit the Army, and the free press is "cheap" in comparison to the many "Army of One" commercials on any given day.

I do think it is detremental to the morale of the student body at West Point in general, though, in that they are getting sweet educations and are going to make bank, AND they don't have to go get shot at after graduation. They are getting huge hookups, and that may frustrate fellow graduates.

Personally, I hope the guys can take advantage of the program and do well for themselves. They are already on CNN and the other news programs keeping the Army PR people extreemly happy.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There's another second order plus for the Army. This will get better athletic recruits, win more games, and get better TV exposure for "Army."

Still, if the purpose of a West Point education isn't to serve in the military, what is it? At least make them do no joke drilling reserves.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
I think the whole deal is b.s. The service academies should have one purpose, and that is to create leaders on the battlefield. If someone wants to play pro ball then they should enroll at a Div I school who's sole purpose is sports, like OU or Miami for instance.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I'm guessing since only about 1 in 70 college Division I football players get drafted for the NFL, West Point will probably retain more blue chippers than they give up to the pros.

Flugelman

Contributor
I think Roger Staubach's approach was the right way. Do your time, serve your country, and then turn pro.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If someone wants to play pro ball then they should enroll at a Div I school who's sole purpose is sports, like OU or Miami for instance.

Go to those schools and tell their presidents to screw academics; their sole purpose is sports. See how long you actually spend in their office . . .

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
I went to West Point and a few of my classmates were recruited by pro sports teams. I know of one of them that, although he always wanted to be a pro ball player, felt more of a call to serve and turned down the offer. Another one tried out, then requested the pro team keep his name on file while he went to Iraq first. He went back and played after a deployment. I am not opposed to the option, as the opportunity is so rare and the academy does not end up losing any money on it. In fact, they get paid for the education and still get 6 years reserve time out of the individual.

What I DO like about this, is that it will bring the military into people's every day life and living rooms more. So many people go through their life without any acknowledgement of the sacrifices of the military because they do not know anyone that is in. Their "heroes" are the ones that score touchdowns. Imagine a newscaster interviewing the football player after the game, and the player saying "the real heroes are my buddies that are over in Iraq - this is just a game." I think it can be a positive thing.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Go to those schools and tell their presidents to screw academics; their sole purpose is sports. See how long you actually spend in their office . . .

IMO, there are only a handful of schools nationwide who hold their athletes to the same or higher (the way it should be) standard than the regular student. Football players at Iowa State could barely speak, and the ones here are routinely committing felonies. In the past semester alone, the football team was cause for grand theft auto, rape, assault, and having a handful of players coordinating a massive book theft ring. Well, when you're only taking twelve credits of 100 level classes, I guess it does give you enough time to commit them. They take group tests in class, and if they show up they are cause for some of the dumbest comments and behavior I have seen.

Take a look at the NFL draft the other day, how many players were able to present themselves in a professional manner, and how many had bling bling watches and diamond studs saying "naw man you kno fo real". For the most part, the big collegiate sports (football, basketball, hockey to an extent) are a smack in the face to the concept of higher learning. How many "students" jump ship as soon as they're offered money and a contract. None of them are there for an education, they come for a shot at the pros. Student-athlete? What's that?

Unfortunately, I think all West Point is doing is allowing for that concept to pervade the Academy.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
Unfortunately, I think all West Point is doing is allowing for that concept to pervade the Academy.

Disagreed. There is no way you could get through WP, athlete or not, without getting the full academic experience. There are requirements - the 5 engineering courses, 4 years of math, three years of literature with a stringent writing exam, etc. that would never be waived for a football player. No one is going to go to WP if their sole purpose is to play in the pros - I see this is as an incentive for those guys that work their rear end off and manage to be good enough after four years to qualify, despite doing 50 times as much work off the field as their counterparts.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
IMO, there are only a handful of schools nationwide who hold their athletes to the same or higher (the way it should be) standard than the regular student. Football players at Iowa State could barely speak, and the ones here are routinely committing felonies. In the past semester alone, the football team was cause for grand theft auto, rape, assault, and having a handful of players coordinating a massive book theft ring. Well, when you're only taking twelve credits of 100 level classes, I guess it does give you enough time to commit them. They take group tests in class, and if they show up they are cause for some of the dumbest comments and behavior I have seen.

Take a look at the NFL draft the other day, how many players were able to present themselves in a professional manner, and how many had bling bling watches and diamond studs saying "naw man you kno fo real". For the most part, the big collegiate sports (football, basketball, hockey to an extent) are a smack in the face to the concept of higher learning. How many "students" jump ship as soon as they're offered money and a contract. None of them are there for an education, they come for a shot at the pros. Student-athlete? What's that?

I can't think of too many students, athletes or not, who wouldn't drop out of school if presented with the opportunity to make a lot of money, just look at some of the most successful people in the computer industry.

The concept of higher learning, as ideal as it sounds, really isn't why most people go to college. They go so they are able to get a better job and make more money than if they had not gone to college. College sports programs bring money, prestige, and entertainment to an institution. Lowering academic standards to have more competitive teams is completely acceptable because the school reaps the benefits.

I don't think the extra player or two who will go to West Point each year because of this policy will change the school at all, and like mentioned by others in this thread, the Army wins twice.

I do agree that the trend of criminal behavior by athletes should not be tolerated by any institution.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
If you go to a service academy, you are taking on a committment to serve your country as an officer in theUnited States Armed Forces. Who cares if "WP is not losing money on the deal", or "this is better for recruiting than Army of One commercials". That would be like letting someone out of their committment to be a high paid actor or a wall-street executive.

trogdor

pilot
USNA has had a program similar to this going on for some time now (i actually think it is a navy wide program designed to let anyone, officer or enlisted practice their talent outside of the service). It it largely on a case by case basis and decided (i believe) by the office of the CNO.

While this is certainly a debatable subject, I think the program has its merits. That is to say if an E-3 on a destroyer somewhere gets knocked on the head and wakes up as a concert level cellist, why shouldn't they be allowed to proudly represent the Navy? Sure it might smack of privilege to members of specific sports (i.e. football) but the truth is somewhat different. The last person i know who qualified for the program was actually a golfer from the academy who got plucked from his ship midway through his first tour.

As a side note Eckel was turned down for this program and was subsequently ad sept from the navy when his ship realized what quality of officer they had on their hands.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
We'll have to see how it plays out. As a 7th round pick, he is by no means a lock to make the team during training camp. However, the Lions do suck pretty bad, so if there ever was a team he had a shot with, that would be it.