• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army WOFT... Should I do it?

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
followed by the bottom two biggest dumb*sses and a chic who were forced into AH-64s. So, you've got that going for you when you scream for gun support...

In the Army there are two kinds of people who fly gunships; guys who are really adapted to fly guns...and lunch money victims who saw their big chance to make a change.

women are allowed to fly gunships in the army? i thought i read somewhere that in the army, women werent allowed to do combat air support?

phrogpilot73

women are allowed to fly gunships in the army? i thought i read somewhere that in the army, women werent allowed to do combat air support?
Women are allowed to fly in anything. They aren't allowed in direct combat units (Infantry, Artillery, etc...)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Minor thread jack. The trust of most threads on the Army WOFT program have been about prior guys or transfers. I have a nephew that is not prior service, just 22 years old and a real stud. Don't think he has two years of college yet. He smoked the asvab a year ago when thinking of being an Army Reserve medic. Just what are the current trends for non prior recruiting? Are you guys seeing many non degreed guys just off the street in the program? He is interested and I plan on helping him prepare for the aviation aptitude test.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Women are allowed to fly in anything. They aren't allowed in direct combat units (Infantry, Artillery, etc...)

I'm sure this question is born out of ignorance of their respective missions on my part, but how is 'Artillery' more of a direct combat role than 'Combat Air Support'?

The comparison going on in my head is bombing/strafing/whatevering a target in close air support of ground units vs. lobbing shells at said target.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Minor thread jack. The trust of most threads on the Army WOFT program have been about prior guys or transfers. I have a nephew that is not prior service, just 22 years old and a real stud. Don't think he has two years of college yet. He smoked the asvab a year ago when thinking of being an Army Reserve medic. Just what are the current trends for non prior recruiting? Are you guys seeing many non degreed guys just off the street in the program? He is interested and I plan on helping him prepare for the aviation aptitude test.
I have a buddy who was 19, did one year in college and got picked up for WOFT.

End of any knowledges on the subject.

Coota0

None

I know guys that are 18 and 19 that were picked up straight from highschool, but they're rare. Most guys seem to be prior service, flight experienced folks with a couple of years of college, and guys with degrees that didn't want to take thier chances on getting aviation through OCS (me.) Rumor has it that when the guys I came through with got picked up the Army was taking more than half of the applications sent in, but it's a rumor. I say tell him to go for it, he can start school while he puts in his application. The process takes between 6 and 9 months for most and he'll probably have some trouble with the recruiter. If he gets accepted great, if not he's already enrolled in school and that will open up his options later or he can reapply after getting 60 hours of credit. If there are any questions or you when you need to know where to go next (and you will) let me know.

highside7r

None
Wink,
Just make sure you get him the AFAST study guides (ARCO), it's a joke compared to the ASTB. The test will almost be exactly as the study guides and the score is only looked at once, will not matter during flight school.

SMILE4BULLETS

just my 2 cents, but if you think you'd want to transfer back to the Marines...as a commissioned officer, not a WO, you'd still have to go through TBS. don't know if that is relevant to you or not.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink,
Just make sure you get him the AFAST study guides (ARCO), it's a joke compared to the ASTB. The test will almost be exactly as the study guides and the score is only looked at once, will not matter during flight school.
Soon as I get a commitment from him he is as good as in. I have the rank, recruiting expertise and contacts at Battalion to see he is treated well by the recruiter. I will do everything I can to get him an AFAST score to match his asvab. I have the the time to drill him on the ARCO book, a personal plane to demonstrate in (tail wheel), access to a OH-58 and Bell 407 (sheriff's office) and the retired army pilots that fly them, and AW subject matter experts like you to guide him on details.

Hey, come to thing about it, maybe I have a template for a business here. Some flim flam guy tries to get kids to pay him for a book and on line advise on how to become fighter pilots. I can do him one better. I can offer weekend length total immersion programs with hands on instruction including flight demos to demonstrate the concepts. I'll even put them up on cots in my hangar, unairconditoned in 100+ degree heat, and feed them MREs just to get them acclimated to military life. I'll even throw in a free Air Warriors account. What do you think? ;) Should I call John and book some advertising on Air Warriors?

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Wink,

Gimme a call or PM if you need help. I'm, 5-0 for getting guys into flight school.

Mike-

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink,

Gimme a call or PM if you need help. I'm, 5-0 for getting guys into flight school.

Mike-
Thanks. If he wants this then every resource is valuable. I'll definitely touch base with you.

TailDraggar

Soon as I get a commitment from him he is as good as in. I have the rank, recruiting expertise and contacts at Battalion to see he is treated well by the recruiter. I will do everything I can to get him an AFAST score to match his asvab. I have the the time to drill him on the ARCO book, a personal plane to demonstrate in (tail wheel), access to a OH-58 and Bell 407 (sheriff's office) and the retired army pilots that fly them, and AW subject matter experts like you to guide him on details.

Hey, come to thing about it, maybe I have a template for a business here. Some flim flam guy tries to get kids to pay him for a book and on line advise on how to become fighter pilots. I can do him one better. I can offer weekend length total immersion programs with hands on instruction including flight demos to demonstrate the concepts. I'll even put them up on cots in my hangar, unairconditoned in 100+ degree heat, and feed them MREs just to get them acclimated to military life. I'll even throw in a free Air Warriors account. What do you think? ;) Should I call John and book some advertising on Air Warriors?

^^ I think you are on to something.... How much? I'd like to sign up.. =)

I've filed a petition to graduate this December with an AA .. in University Studies... ;) . I'm going to start to study up for the AFAST and I tentatively plan on taking it at the end of the year.

Can anyone recommend any books to read that would give an accurate depiction of what it's like to be an Army WO pilot?

Thanks for all the info!

Coota0

None
Can anyone recommend any books to read that would give an accurate depiction of what it's like to be an Army WO pilot?

Thanks for all the info!

In the Company of Heroes or Night Stalkers by Mike Durant
CW2 by Layne Heath
Firebirds by Robert Mason
Chicken Hawk by Chuck Carlock
Anatomy of a Division by Shelby Stanton
To the Limit by Tom Johnson
Most of these are about Vietnam, I have really found anything about or by really recent actions by Army Aviators, Roberts Ridge is in Night Stalkers.

If you want to know a little about Basic and Wocs,here is one about a guy that went through Basic and Benning and then OCS, the stuff about Basic was similar but the OCS stuff is pretty off from WOCS. This guy went to a state OCS.
To Benning and Back by Monroe Mann

In the realm of fiction W.E.B. Griffin's Brotherhood of War (especially the Majors and the Aviators)

You can wait and see if I ever get mine finished :p