• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Takes Delivery of UH-72 "Lakota" Helos...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
overview_1.jpg

Interesting that this program has gained so much momentum, so quickly. Very much under the radar, which EADS would like. This is basically an off the shelf twin engined, civil EMS helo (based on the BK-117). It will be used exclusively for National Guard units. Stay tuned...

EADS North America Begins Delivery of UH-72A Light Utility Helicopters to the U.S. Army
First Aircraft Delivered Three Months Ahead of Schedule

Columbus, Mississippi, December 11, 2006 – EADS North America officially delivered the U.S. Army’s first UH-72A Light Utility Helicopter today, marking the beginning of this major defense program with a requirement for up to 322 rotary-wing aircraft and a potential total life-cycle value of over $2 billion.

You can read the rest here

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? I'm not an expert but that seems like a big number just for National Guard units. What was is it suppose to replaced?

Hopefully the few Army bubbas here will help us out here. I understand it will replace aircraft used for logistic and domestic SAR work (Hueys if any left, and OH-58s). They may also just amount to additional aircraft in existing units for the domestic log and SAR missions so the UH-60s don't get any more hours put on them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Damn, that was fast. They just won the contract, correct? I guess COTS has it's benefits.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn, that was fast. They just won the contract, correct? I guess COTS has it's benefits.
They must have just pulled them off the line and ran them through Maaco for the olive green paint job.

hscs

pilot
I would bet they would be looking for a replacement for the -58, not just for the National Guard.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? I'm not an expert but that seems like a big number just for National Guard units. What was is it suppose to replaced?

They have been using a variety of helicopters and aircraft to do utility work in CONUS and overseas bases. They have been using mainly UH-1's and H-60's to do that and they wanted to get rid of the last of the Huey's and utilize the 60's in Afghanistan and Iraq, where they are needed.

Part of the reason this happened so fast is that the aircraft did not need to be militarized much. It does not need the self-protection systems or other improvements that are usually needed for military helos. They just need to haul people and stuff around the US. Most importantly, the Army already had the money coming to it for the Comanche. This is part of the benefit of cancelling the RAH-66. Another one is the rapid procurement of the ARH-70 to replace the OH-58:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...d-reconnaissance-helicopter-updated/index.php

picture.jpg

As for EADS liking that it being under the radar, they haven't been too shy about publicity, the ads that were up at the Pentagon Metro stop trumpeted their win. Oh yeah, may the best man win.....:D

A good explanation of the Light Utility Helo requirement:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/luh.htm

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... the Army already had the money coming to it for the Comanche. This is part of the benefit of canceling the RAH-66. Another one is the rapid procurement of the ARH-70 to replace the OH-58:

Good point. I had forgotten that was a key issue when Comanche was canceled. The Army wanted a guarantee that the funds would stay on their side of the ledger for just this sort of thing.

bobbybrock

None
The H-72 (LUH) will be placed in non deployable unit in the National Guard and Regular force.
In the guard it will replace Dust Off hueys and RAID OH-58A/C. The OH58D will be replaced by the ARH.
I talked with the aviation chief and he said it will be an add on aircraft for most guys. Meaning a few guys will get to fly two aircraft. I got word that the guard facility I work at will be getting them to replace our OH-58 RAID aircraft. So it looks as if all of us civilain IP's will get a transtion in Mississippi.
The aircraft is off the shelf and will need just a few aviaoncs upgrades. It is non deployable so ASE is not a factor.
Commanche did infact leave lots of cash for the reat of Army aviation.
Most regualr Army 60 units will recieve the H-60M. Probably similar to the Navy MH-60R. If that is the one with the longer tail wheel at 29 feet.

hscs

pilot
I think that the -60M is closer to the -60S, except you all are getting the -701D and the wide chord blades. I think that the M model has a better CDU -- I am not a fan of the CDU in the S.

bobbybrock

None
I'm flying HH-60L for guard now. I'e been told that our CDU is similar to yours in the 60s.
I've been told that the M model will have a CASS cockpit which will be identical to the 160th's MH-60M' and the MH-47G?. It will also have a fully coupled auto pilot but will not have TA/TF like the 160th birds. Should be a sweet ride but I'm sure Big Army will find a way to dick it up.