• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army M4 vs. Marine M16A4

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
From beginning to end...

Forward hand, shoulder pocket, High firm pistol grip, shooting hand elbow, stockweld. That's the bone support. I'd guess the last two you're looking for are breath and relaxation.

Maybe your little bonus prize one is eye relief. I don't know.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Care to translate out of yut-speak for those of us who haven't learned to shoot the Marine way?

CaptWSims

Some folks are making this Army versus USMC utlization too complicated...it's not.

Army is basically mechanized infantry, and ride in vehicles on patrol. They need carbines because of limited room.

Marines are basically foot soldiers on patrol. And they are taught to use the rifle butt in M2M combat. There may also be an element of getting a "good cheek weld" for marksmanship, but I doubt that is valid, based on range reports comparing the 2 weapons.

I fire an Armalite AR15A4 National Match rifle in competition, which is nothing like combat, but can say that the nearly 9 pounds seems unwieldy compared to the 5 pounds of my old WWII M1 Carbine...if I were young enough to patrol in combat areas I'd want to be carrying the M4 Carbine!