• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army M4 vs. Marine M16A4

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
don't forget natural point of aim........

You know, sight alignment and smooth trigger pull are probably #1 and #2, but understanding (and using) natural point of aim is what took my shooting to the next level.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Good catch... Our Coach during boot camp use to have NPA as number 3 but changed it to smooth and steady trigger pull, because he saw that more marines had more trouble conceptualizng that then NPA.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
It was studied. After initial training, glass and iron doesn't make a big difference on scores at the KD range. If you don't implement the fundamentals it doesn't matter. I'm looking for articles and papers about it right now. But be sure (and this isnt even the Kool-Aid speaking) the Marine Corps wouldn't compromise KD training.

And what's now codified as table 2 used to be called field firing/A-Line. It used to be a graded event, but it eventually turned into F' off Friday. Nobody failed and nobody took it seriously. The table system refocused that stuff, and it is now much better training.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'd rather learn/train to employ an "advanced" weapon system to kill my enemies before my enemy kills me than not train on/learn on one simply due to pride. Yes, iron sights are great, but RCOs increase lethality and increase effective point target range... I'll take the glass all day long, as it is the better option. Just as you would take the JDAM over the dumb bomb.

Everyone still learns on iron sights, and will continue to do so. Once you learn to employ the iron sights you get to step up to something a bit more modern... Oh the shame...

Marines are still in the business of killing, and I want my Marines to have the best equipment and training on that equipment to do so.

/end drunk rant/ (Hey, it's Thursday night, and the beginning of a 96!)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Can someone explain natural point of aim? I'm not tracking.

Aim in and relax completely. Now close your eyes. Take a breath in and let it out and pause. Now open your eyes. That's your NPA.

If it's on target all you need now is that good trigger control.

It can't be adjusted by muscling your arms or shoulders. You have to adjust your base.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Can someone explain natural point of aim? I'm not tracking.

When you are resting, have that good bone support and aren't breathing the rifle is going to be aiming at a certain point. every time there-after that you pull the trigger, you get that recoil and the weapon settles it will settle back on your natural point of aim.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The article misses one important part of NPA.....close your eyes take a breath relax open your eyes if the sights are not on target adjust your body close your eyes etc etc until when you open your eyes youa re on target.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Rep to the first person who can name the 7 common factors of all shooting positions... and a bonus if you know the 8th that may or may not be doctrinal but is vital...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
From beginning to end...

Forward hand, shoulder pocket, High firm pistol grip, shooting hand elbow, stockweld. That's the bone support. I'd guess the last two you're looking for are breath and relaxation.

Maybe your little bonus prize one is eye relief. I don't know.