• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Infantry Officer to Navy Aviation

salfo86

Hi Everyone,

I’m trying to find some information and heard this might be good place to start. I’m currently an active duty Army Infantry Officer O-3 with about 5 years and 7 months in service. I was looking at doing an inter service transfer to the Navy to be an Aviator or be an NFO. I’ve spoken to the nearest Officer recruiter near me and he is under the impression that aviation is not currently taking any kind of inter service transfers. I just wanted to confirm to see that this is the case or if anyone has any experience with my particular situation or possibly even a POC I can speak to. I also wouldn’t mind flying reserves if it’s an option. I have a long family history in the Navy and Ive always dreamed of flying since I was a kid. I had other goals as well serving as an infantryman but I still feel that I can offer more in aviation. Thanks for the help in advance!

exNavyOffRec

Reach out to the Aviation Officer Community Manager (OCM) at NPC, it is a very long shot but the OCM will confirm if possible or not.

Sonog

pilot
Recruiter guys, what about separating at end of commitment then applying to OCS? I met a dude who did that (probably 5-10 years ago)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Recruiter guys, what about separating at end of commitment then applying to OCS? I met a dude who did that (probably 5-10 years ago)

That might have been possible years ago, not so much now. When I last talked to the AVN OCM and past predecessors, they were not entertaining prior officers (with no AVN experience) going AVN, whether it's current or "prior" officers.

exNavyOffRec

That was probably a one off, even before that NRC was saying no prior officers can attend OCS, somehow he must have slipped through and now the PA specifically says "no".

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've personally never heard of an IST into the Navy that involved URL training (eg, a non-aviator officer being picked up for flight training).
Guard or ANG might be a better path?

BattlingTrain

SNA Pro-Rec Y
That's pretty much what I did and am Pro-Rec Y SNA, albeit I was an Army E5, but that should just give OP better odds I'd think.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Out of curiousity, what do you think the logic behind that is? Another service's officer is already too "imprinted" by that service's culture and training?
I would think it is because his commissioned career time would be rather interrupted.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Out of curiousity, what do you think the logic behind that is? Another service's officer is already too "imprinted" by that service's culture and training?

From my understanding it's far from that. Biggest thing is the YCS / timing piece, with 5.5+ years in he would be going into O-4 board consideration (i.e. in zone) either barely having his wings or barely starting his FRS or JO sea tour. Without having the necessary qualifications and FITREPs (i.e. high water EP) he would very likely 2x FOS and be sent home. Essentially a "waste" in terms of any sort of ROI from the Navy.

In my last recruiting tour, my AOR covered a few Army and Air Force bases and me / fellow ORs would be contacted by USA / USAF officers all the time wanting to go Naval Aviation. I finally reached the Aviation OCM (just out of curiosity) who really told me they don't entertain ISTs much and it's really special circumstances that would allow such.

Unlike certain officer programs (like medical, chaplain, JAG, etc.) where they do take current / prior officers and "reset" their timing by re-commissioning as an O-2 or O-3, aviation does not have the "option" per say.

I would suggest to OP to consider the other services (maybe ANG?) or even check out Army aviation, where they might have an "in-service" procurement program.

salfo86

I really appreciate all the help and insight everyone. I realize going into it, it’s a long shot but you never know unless you try. I’ll try contacting OCM and give updates how it goes but I do appreciate all the options given. I’ve been looking into Army aviation but Navy aviation with fixed wing is my first choice if I had the option. I’ll also look into ANG as well!

FormerRecruitingGuru

I really appreciate all the help and insight everyone. I realize going into it, it’s a long shot but you never know unless you try. I’ll try contacting OCM and give updates how it goes but I do appreciate all the options given. I’ve been looking into Army aviation but Navy aviation with fixed wing is my first choice if I had the option. I’ll also look into ANG as well!

That's a solid plan to go. Best of luck.