• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army helo pilot=>Navy jet pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

adomian2

Hello Gentlemen,

I need help! I just went before a selection board for the Army's warrant Officer Flight Training program. The interview went extremely well, and all three officers gave me a maximum score. I received a high score on both the AFAST and ASVAB tests, and I have a Class 1A Flight Physical classification. So, I think I'm gonna get the job. But I really want to be a jet pilot. I don't care which service. So I'm thinking about turning down the Army, finishing college and joining the Navy or Air Force as an officer and pilot. This may sound crazy, but I'm just very energized at how easy it has been so far to get in to the Army flight program, and how bad the other officer candidates looked. (I should say that I'm not an arrogant bastard, I'm just being very honest because I under pressure)I would also consider trying to become a Navy or Air Force aviator after my term in the Army is up. My concerns with this route are the fact that I will be 27 or 28 when I'm out of the Army, and I am not sure if the Navy will take me at that age. Also, I am afraid that if I have a helo background, I'll get the helo pipeline in the Navy. Do guys have any advice?

Rainman

pilot
advice. .we all love to be experts.

You won't know without applying. Because you're prior service, you may be able to get around the 27.5 age deal. .definitely possible, gotta apply. .

As far as helos goes. . . you'll have the same opportunity for 'jets' as everyone else that scores like you do in Primary. .so I wouldn't worry about any helo prejudice. Good Luck

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If you want to fly jets, I would recommend trying an Air Gaurd or Air Force Reserve Unit. That way, if accepted to a unit that flies F-16's, and you make the grades in flight school, you will fly F-16's. Not saying you can't get strike/jets in the Navy, it's just that sometimes the Navy's needs come first. If there are no jet slots, you most likely will not be flying jets.

Just so you know, my old skipper was a Cobra pilot in the Army, switched to Navy and went right into the helo pipeline. Then some circumstances intervened and he ended up flying E-2's then C-2's and finally commanded a C-2 squadron. Anything's possible but trying to narrow it down with an Air Gaurd Unit might be a good way to go. Good luck.

adomian2

Thanks for the feedback, guys
I don't understand what you mean by "trying an ANG or AFRES unit" Are you suggesting that I enlist in the AFRES or ANG in some capacity other than pilot? Also, how did your skipper 'switch' to the Navy?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by adomian2
Thanks for the feedback, guys
I don't understand what you mean by "trying an ANG or AFRES unit" Are you suggesting that I enlist in the AFRES or ANG in some capacity other than pilot? Also, how did your skipper 'switch' to the Navy?

Actually, you would need your degree to enter the pilot program. I believe they would send you to OTS then to flight school. You would apply to a specific unit and hopefully get accepted. There is probably an age limit though and if you are going Warrant Officer in the Army, you may be time limited if you don't have your degree. May want to contact the Air Gaurd or Air Force Reserve for better info.

My old skipper was a West Point graduate so he had a four year degree. Not sure how he went about the transfer though.

adomian2

Believe me, if I had my degree, I wouldn't be screwing around with the Army. The problem is I've got at least 2-3 years left before I can finish my degree, because I will need to transfer from a community college and Cal State and UC colleges won't let me in until Spring 2004 at the earliest.
That's interesting that you can apply to a specific unit. I thought they sent you to flight school, and from there assigned you to a type, based on their needs.
What if while I'm in the Army as a Warrant Officer pilot, I finish my degree, go to OCS and get an Army commission. And then after I finish my 6 years in the Army I decide I want to fly jets for the Navy, would the Navy give me equivalent rank? For example, if I was a Captain in the Army, would the Navy give me the rank of Lieutenant (sr grade)?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The Navy/Marine Corps would put you wherever your grades and the slots available that week dictated. There's very little subjectivity in the process, save for special cases, i.e. the problem children with airsickness problems, the guy with the wife dying from a horrible poison, for which the antidote comes from a plant that only grows in Meridian, etc. Your prior aviation experience would probably put you in a position to get good grades, and therefore, whatever platform you wanted.

Phrogs phorever

airwinger

pilot
A good number of years ago(3-4) I came across a web page by an army aviator who left the army, went through Marine Corps OCS and TBS and was enroute to flight school. This isn't much of a help but if you could track down the page you might ask for his advice.
Alternatively, 'Juris' on www.studentpilot.net was also ex-army and is now flying for the airforce, ask him.

Rainman, hows Meridian treating you? have you started flying yet? how much flight time are you getting on the T-2 and are they phasing that out? You have no clue who I am but we have a mutual red-haired friend(more your friend than mine though:)
airwinger

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
I've been in both Army and Navy and I can say this. DON'T DO IT!!! Finish your studies and go for jets. The army sounds cool until you are actually in the army. jaja

Don't sweat the small stuff!

adomian2

Thanks, everybody for the help.
Vic, please for God's sake, tell me now why the Army is so bad. I need to know because I am going in very soon. Keep in mind I will be a Warrant Officer, so it won't be as bad as being enlisted. Or do you mean flying helos is not nearly as fun as jets? Believe me, I would love to fly jets. It's just that I'm in a very tough position right now that I need to get out of and the Army WOFT option is right in front of me. It will take me awhile to finish my degree not to mention complete all Calculus/Physics requirements for the Navy. To be perfectly honest I never passed Trigonometry. That doesn't mean I'm dumb, I just need a tutor or a teacher with some ****ing patience. I think being in the Army will give me a chance to catch up in math and science and finish a degree while I'm in. Have I been fooled completely?

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Make the best of what you have. I had the navy to compare it to, that's why I came back to the navy. The woft program is about the best thing to do in the army, anyway. It's going to be pretty hard to finish school, just make sure you stay focused. Good luck!

adomian2

Thanks, Vic
I've been really nervous about this decision, so your advice helps a lot. Do you mean to say that it will be hard to finish a degree while I'm in the Army? That's one of their big selling points is that you can attend college courses on base through University of Maryland. Is this just one of their lies/exagerrations? Thanks Again

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
It's possible. Hell, I did it. The only problem is that the army comes first and that doesn't mix to well with the school schedule. Just stay motivated and look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by airwinger

Rainman, hows Meridian treating you? have you started flying yet? how much flight time are you getting on the T-2 and are they phasing that out? You have no clue who I am but we have a mutual red-haired friend(more your friend than mine though:)
airwinger
T-2? They've been "phasing that out" for about two fiscal years now. "Last class to train in the Buckeye has been stated to more than one class. The problem is buying enough T45Cs. So it would appear Buckeye training will go on for a couple more months.

Total Strike (or total syllabus or Total system) depending on who you ask is getting more and more prevalent as they get jets. That's what I got so no T2 time for me. Everything running smooth.

later

Status
Not open for further replies.