• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Colonel is critical of ISAF HQ and gets send home!

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Yawn, much more to the story...0-5 who suddenly feels compelled to rail against the perceived dependency on PPT....yawn again...oops..gotta go brief for another hop...

D

Deleted member 24525

BTW it wasn't ISAF, it was the subordinate command IJC

there is not much more to the story...
the guy was worthless for 2 months, wrote an article about how everyone is a .ppt retard met with two generals and was on the plane home in 48 hours.
Granted, it is true that almost everyone below his rank agrees with what he said, but they also agree those types of rants are reserved for the ready room...not the media. He was about 70% correct in what he said, but he was wrong in going outside the command.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I got the same impression. You just can't call the people you work with idiots and expect things to work out for you. If he'd just called out the use of .ppt, he would've been okay. Railing about the idiocy of your command is just going to get one canned. And it did.

Clux4

Banned
I am not sure a Reserve Colonel at 61 has much shelf life. I think this was the "last act". He probably was retiring at the end of this tour.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Regardless of whether the COL was right or wrong to publish his rant/great big F-U or whatever his motives, I don't believe for even a second that the outcome was any surprise to him.

(A running joke in the reserves is the saying, "I already quit once.")

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now where is that spaghetti ppt graphic when I need it?

here we go...makes perfect sense...

27powerpoint_CA0-articleLarge.jpg

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
A running joke in the reserves is the saying, "I already quit once."

I am suddenly reminded of the New Jersey Education Comissioner, Bret Schundler.

To paraphrase: "No, I won't resign. You can fire me so I can collect severance."

slug

Saw a quote from an anonymous Russian General at Ft. Rucker once, I think a Warrant Officer quoted it (appropriate):

"We have found the critical weakness in the American Military and that weakness is called Microsoft Powerpoint. While you are tweaking your slides... we will be killing you."

Still, all things considered, after reading the rant, COL Douche Bag released it for his own glory. Along the same line as GEN McCrystal getting profiled by Rolling Stone. "Hey kid, we'll make ya famous!" I think this puts said COL high in the running for the Douche Bag of the Year Award, or the DBOTY as I have christened it. Although I think McChrystal has that one locked (sorry Sir, you're a rock star, genius warrior, but a monumental F-up it was).

My final advice to said DBOTY runner-up COL: hurry up and die already, so that our taxes stop paying for your pension. Shite!

D

Deleted member 24525

Slug I would have to agree with you on the fact that he did it for his own personal reasons. That is proen by the fact that now he has a Facebook Page: trying to capitalize on it..the page didn't start until after he was relieved. It is like he is trying to make himself into a folk hero...
I hate to do this, but you all need to see the douchebagetry with your own eyes:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Colonel-Lawrence-Sellin/155619744453235?ref=ts

ryan1234

In light of Gen. McChrystal, this had to an intentional career suicide. John Boyd had a bunch of bad things to say about the Pentagon - but he didn't say it to the media...he said it to their faces.... granted the career progression after that was about the same, but at least Boyd managed to make a few impressions and get things done.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Regardless of the outcome, he makes some very valid point regarding the use of Powerpoint slides in our briefing process.
The J-3 will develop a schedule for slide production to meet the CUB/BUB schedule every day.
How many hours do we waste building slides and back-ups for briefs?

D

Deleted member 24525

The worst part of all of this is indeed the waste of man hours..people spend so much time on power point that they end up negelcting their real work...

navymic

pilot
The powerpoints are not the true waste of man-hours, the bloated staff here is the waste of man-hours. If there aren't powerpoints, people would still be twirling their thumbs (more than they are now).

While most of what the Col said was true (except for his first paragraph), he was the wrong messenger in the wrong forum. He had a bad reputation before this article. He was here for less than two months, but made an immediate impact, and it was not a good one. He didn't like his initial job here, Regional Command LNO, so he fished around for another one. He thought he was smarter than everyone else, but I guess there is more than one defintion of smart. Overall he was a poor Army 0-6. Now there is one less Col for my swinging dead cat to hit.