• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Armstrong program

dav246

Hello there, just your average guy hitting 16 reps trying to beef up that PFT score, and came across Armstrong and am giving it a go. I have one question for those with experience with it: Is the program all I should be doing upper body wise? Just the pushups in the morning and then bar work in the gym later, or should I do the program in addition to other things? Right now the plan is do Armstrong, then go through my usual abs and leg work.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
My experience was this: doing Armstrong-only for upper body was a really good break from the typical strength training wear and fatigue. I also saw great results in number of push-ups (in addition to the vast increase in pull-ups). You, and only you, could or would care if your max bench goes down a few pounds. And if it’s the mirror you’re considering, well, that’s also you and only you.

Great program. Hope you enjoy.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
I’ve used it for close to 15 years now to maintain max pull ups every PFT, and I am by no means a physical specimen. Great program. I never bothered with the morning pushups, and always incorporated the appropriate day at the end of whatever my normal workout was. The only time I don’t is if my main workout is heavy upper body and I might be gassed for the pull-ups, in which case I’ll do them to start out

Last edited:

dav246

Thanks for all the responses guys, been hittin it for a week and a half now and I've already gone up two reps.

I have ended up doing it like this:

MWF:
Armstrong underhand(chin ups)
Abs
Armstrong overhand(pull ups)
Legs

T-Th
Armstrong underhand
10 mins moderate cardio, 5 minute break
Armstrong overhand

This is in addition to my morning running and the morning routine that I have modeled very closely to Armstrongs every day.

Highlander51

I'll fly away O glory
Thanks for all the responses guys, been hittin it for a week and a half now and I've already gone up two reps.

I have ended up doing it like this:

MWF:
Armstrong underhand(chin ups)
Abs
Armstrong overhand(pull ups)
Legs

T-Th
Armstrong underhand
10 mins moderate cardio, 5 minute break
Armstrong overhand

This is in addition to my morning running and the morning routine that I have modeled very closely to Armstrongs every day.
Little late to the party here but I ran this program religiously before enlisting 12 years ago, short answer it works very well if properly executed. I went from 0 to 20 in the four months I did it before boot camp. I don’t do the pushups anymore due to shoulder issues but I still run a version of it to this day and have never dropped a point on a PFT from missing a pull up.