• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Armstron Pull-up program

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
On day 4, it says to do as many training sets as possible. Does this mean keep doing so many shoulder width apart, so many palms facing close together, and so many really wide like you do on day 3? Or do you just do as many training sets any you want? Hope that's clear enough. Thanks.

RyanVR

just do a search for "armstrong pull-up program" on any major search engine and you'll find it.

a site if found that has interesting material to read is

www.marineofficercandidate.com

sorry if this has already been mentioned
Ryan

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I did Day 1 for the first time today. On the first set, I did 17. The last four I only did 7's and 8's. I knew I was going to be dead, but I guess I over estimated. I just wanted to see how everyone else's Day 1 has been. I think the key is making sure each set is a maximum effort set. I mean, where you go all out and are pretty much dead hanging cause you can't go any higher. My couple of pennies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
On day 2 do you guys use the same grip the whole time? I do, and I just wanted to see if it's better to mix it up or whatever. Sorry the ?'s

RyanVR

Yeah, i use the same grip the entire time unless its the training set day where it explicitly states to use other grips.

overhand or bust

Ryan

Sins

I can do 20+ dead hang pull ups. I have been doing overhand for months.

Today switched to underhand and I did 24,12,6,8,8 i dont know what happened during that middle set

Been using armstrong, on day 3 I would often add another 3 training sets of close parallel grip.

I'm thinking about switching back Recon Ron's routine. Let me find a link...damn, I cant find one and I'm too lazy to search google.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
As far as switching it up...I'm with the overhand or bust thought...its consistently true that most people who can't get 20 pullups yet (including myself) have a better max with an underhand grip. I'd follow the program strictly and on days 1, 3, and 5 do a pyramid of hammer curls followed by curl bar strip downs. This way you're pushing yourself to go with the harder grip while still increasing bicep capacity for which us 'weaker' guys need to get the most underhand pull ups on the test . I do essentially 13 sets of hammer curls starting with 20 lbs dumbbells (warmup). I use hammer curls because they use more of the forearms and biceps area that are used in either type of pull up. I try to get 10 reps (or max)per set except for two max effort sets on the way back down at 25 and 20. I also do three sets at the top of my pyramid to really push myself. So my program looks like this this...20,25,30,35,40,45 x 3, 40... and so on back down doing the two max sets on 25 and 20.
Obviously you use the weight appropriate for your size and strength...but the top sets should not be easy. Following this I do 3 sets of strips downs on a curl bar. Obviously by now your arms are shredded so don't over load the bar. The key to this is to get your biceps through the fatigue...(similiar to what they encounter in attempting a set of underhand pullups)...not lifting heavy weight. It helps to have a workout partner for this. My bar may look like this on one side (10,5,10,5). When you can't do a full rep you take the outside plates off (in this case a 10)...If you're not getting 5 reps on the first lift then reduce your weight...I try to count total reps in each each set mindful that I want at least 20 to simulate pull up fatigue. You can do the empty bar at the end as well, but basically you will have so much blood in your arm that it will be difficult.

One last helpful hint is to not under do it on days 1 and 5...Although I agree that the Armstrong program works well on its own, do some cable rows and lat pull downs after your max effort pullups to further the workout. In my opinion you can never over prepare you upper
body for the stress it will endure and OCS.

Here's the diclaimer...this type of program has been useful to me, but may not be useful to you...I offer these workout additions as a change of pace for those who may be stuck in a rut or want to try something different.

Good luck and good lifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.