• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Argentina

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
About a month ago my Squadron got the call to support POTUS (and entourage) down in Mar De Plata Argentina for the Summit of the Americas. We broke down 4 CH-53E's for embark onto C-17s for the 12 hour flight (non stop) to Argentina.

Here is a pic of the 53 loaded up and in flight
355267.jpg

I rode up in the cockpit with the Pilots. It was interesting watching them do night AR from a KC-135 from the cockpit.

Here is picture of the offload
355276.jpg

(C-17 giving birth to an 'ugly' baby)
355278.jpg

Here's our Main Gear Box which weights about 10K
355271.jpg

355273.jpg

355284.jpg

Here's Mar De Plata from the top floor of our Hotel, notice all the Law Enforcement in riot gear waiting for a breach in the line:
355255.jpg

Random Church in Argentina:
355285.jpg

Sikorsky brothers:
355286.jpg

I rode up front for the ride home too, we stopped for a few hours in Puerto Rico:
355288.jpg

What a great trip! We were there for about 3 weeks. The Beef down there is absolutely amazing. Great liberty...I rank it up there with Thailand, Bali and Australia.

I learned a lot about the aircraft during the breakdown, buildup and breakdown again for the ride home.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Man, that would have been a long cross country if you didn't get the airforce to take your helos down there.
How long would it take to fly to Argentina in a helo?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
150 KIAS Max for us, compare that to the 320 KIAS of the C-17 ( a little over 400 Knots GS at Alt)......yeaaaahhhhh we'd still be flying.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
E5B said:
150 KIAS Max for us, compare that to the 320 KIAS of the C-17 ( a little over 400 Knots GS at Alt)......yeaaaahhhhh we'd still be flying.

320 KIAS and only getting 400 KGS? What altitude were you flying at, 5000 feet? At 20+k feet we're seeing 223 or so KIAS and 330+ KTAS with ground speeds higher for winds if you're lucky.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Fly Navy said:
320 KIAS and only getting 400 KGS? What altitude were you flying at, 5000 feet? At 20+k feet we're seeing 223 or so KIAS and 330+ KTAS with ground speeds higher for winds if you're lucky.

I'm not good at Math

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Fly Navy said:

Hmm, must be nice to go that fast. At 200' we're seeing, oh 95 KGS or so. But it feels faster, especially following the rivers.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gregsivers said:
Hmm, must be nice to go that fast. At 200' we're seeing, oh 95 KGS or so. But it feels faster, especially following the rivers.

I feel for you guys on instrument approaches. Buddy of mine was telling me he had to do a long arc at 90 knots. That would make me cry.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Fly Navy said:
I feel for you guys on instrument approaches. Buddy of mine was telling me he had to do a long arc at 90 knots. That would make me cry.

I'm about to find out, should be hitting RIs after Christmas.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I wish I had more pictures of Liberty. At one point there were "Air Force One's" from every country (N & S America) on the ramp, in line waiting to load their Presidents. I'll find a pic of that and put it on here.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Here is a Argentina Aerolinas:

355312.jpg

Argentina Presidential Jet:
355311.jpg

Brazil 'ONE':
355313.jpg

Tijuana ONE (Mexico):
355315.jpg

Panama "ONE":
355316.jpg

3 of our 4 53's broken down in Argentina and waiting to be loaded onto the C-17:
355287.jpg

C-17 in reverse producing a weird little "tornado"
355314.jpg

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
great pics....we can't fit the MH in a C-17 (sponsons). Looks like a lot of FCF at a foreign airfield. Your birds look in great shape.

KBayDog

How long after unloading did it take the mechs to put Tab A into Slot C and get the birds ready to fly?