• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are you assigned any Type of Aircraft in Primary Flight Training?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I am sure they are still ironing out all the details and I am so low on the totem pole that things could have done a 180 by now, however, the JO "shore duty" won't stick you with VUP. That comes after being selected DH VUP.

We shall see when it starts being implemented/utilized.

I understand the community logic and it works in a vacuum where everyone is the same on paper. but you're going to see even less pilots stick around for a DH tour do to the fear of getting VUP'd for the rest of their career, unless they package it differently.

Unless they start doing the Super JO tour in leu of the boat on a regular basis they risk a situation where a squadrons senior pilot is a first LT with 1200hrs if they stick with the VUP for life idea.

Hopefully someone pulls their head out of their ass early and realizes what a dumb message they're sending.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I don't think flight hours are as big of a deal for UAS as you'd think. Triton is like Fire Scout in that you don't fly it as much as you actively mission plan it.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I don't think flight hours are as big of a deal for UAS as you'd think. Triton is like Fire Scout in that you don't fly it as much as you actively mission plan it.

That whole non flying thing for the rest of the time is. At least the helo community has their fire scout duties integrated with manned aircraft flying.

Pags

N/A
pilot
That whole non flying thing for the rest of the time is. At least the helo community has their fire scout duties integrated with manned aircraft flying.
DoD in general has had a hard time figuring out how to sell UAS to the fleet. Higher ups love the capabilities that UAS bring but they haven't sent a message that their contributions are valued.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I believe this is the case, but I am similarly not 100% sure. Also, if you don't have good enough grades to qualify for jets ("jet grades"), you can't put it on your dream sheet.
False. I didnt have jet grades out of primary but didnt want maritime so I put Helos, Jets (strike) and E2/C2. Got helos.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
False. I didnt have jet grades out of primary but didnt want maritime so I put Helos, Jets (strike) and E2/C2. Got helos.
Hmm, we were told differently. I specifically remember they looked at our NSS before they asked us our preferences.

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
Selections are done differently from squadron to squadron. I put in my dream sheet when I still had like 10 flights left, but one of my buddies had to wait until he was complete.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've known people who put "Space Shuttle" on their dream sheet. As a stud and an IP, I never heard not being allowed to put something down. Here's the dirty little secret: if you put something down on the dream sheet and someone actually notices it AND then bothers to tell you about it, guess what? You just fill it out again. It's really not that big a deal.

Put down what you want. The Navy (or MC or CG or AF) will make the decision for you, no matter how awesome you may be.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Don't put down anything that you absolutely don't want to select.

There's actually a gentleman who looks at dream sheets in Corpus and attempts to match what people request with needs of the service. If you put something on your dream sheet that's a community he needs to fill a slot for he's going to think he's giving you something you want.

Over the years I saw two Marine dudes cry, and a Navy girl DOR after getting their last choice on their dream sheet because they absolutely didn't want to fly it (helo, MV-22, P-3 respectively).

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Long ago, I thought being a COD pilot would be the bee's-knees (still kinda think that), and I put E2/C2 down as my first choice thinking I was willing to roll the dice on getting Hawkeys; I put Jets second and third. The CO called me in late on a Friday afternoon and told me he had re-arranged my preference sheet before submitting it. He moved 'em around and put E2/C2 third. I went to Meridian for Jets. Life is good and I've got nothing to complain about, but it's a good thing I didn't really feel strongly about going E2/C2...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
DoD in general has had a hard time figuring out how to sell UAS to the fleet. Higher ups love the capabilities that UAS bring but they haven't sent a message that their contributions are valued.

This. A lot. It wouldn't be a hard sell if they just funded their manning side and treated us like aviators instead of second class citizens.