• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are OCS applicants choosen by region?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighuggies

Are candidates chosen based on regional quotas? For example, would an applicant in New York (which I hear is competetive) have less of a chance of being selected than and equally qualified applicant in a small town, oh let's see, let's choose my place of residence, Las Vegas, NV? (Las Vegas' actually is under the San Bernadino, CA OSO, Southern California)

froghead1

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think it's based on East and West. So, everyone that applies for OCS from east of the Mississippi competes against similar candidates from this half of the country. Same goes for west of the Mississippi. It's also broken down between candidates applying for law, air, and ground. If you are a college grad, applying for OCS and an Air contract, you would be competing against other West Coast college grads, applying for OCS and an Air contract. This is what I gathered from my OSO at least.

reapergm

Im pretty sure it goes by office. I think each OSS is given a certain amount of slots. Manhattan is very competitive. So say they have 3 slots... 10 kids with 285+ PFTs, and in some Georgia office there are 3 slots with kids all at 250 PFTs. So if you have a 270, you might stand a better shot in Georgia. So yes, if you lived in different area, you might be more competitive. ITs demographics. I dont know the way it works, but this is how my OSO made it appear.

Side note - From what I hear, kids are competitive everywhere. OCC is really tough right now. PLC is alot easier to get selected. Ive heard mixed things between whether its easier for Air vs. Ground.

lucky1899

office

from what i have gathered, it is by region. Im pretty sure about this, because I asked my OSO directly, "do you have a quota to fill?" He said, "no, they look at each applicant individually. Once the package gets to the board, they disregard exactly which OSO it came from." Like someone already said, you are competing vs. other west region people or other east region people. So, in theory there could be zero selected from a certain office, or five, or whatever. lol, I wish it was by office, cause I have a 289 PFT and the next highest OCC PFT in my office is in the low 270's.

lucky1899

One more thing to add: it doesn't make sense that they would do it by office. Why should a kid be penalized for living in Manhattan or rewarded for being from Alaska? (no offense Alaska)? I believe the Marine Corps would want to select the best qualified, regardless of which state they are from. Even though we all know the best qualified come from southern California anyway.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
It's East and West of the Mississippi as far as I've heard. It's what makes the most sense and what would give the board the best spread of applicants for OCS.

lucky1899

boastful

heh heh, im from southern california, so lets call it boastful. Actually to be honest, I've heard us california guys dont fare too well with the harsh weather out there.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Its exactly like Wildflyin suggested. My OSO took the time to explain all that crap out to me. I'm probably one of the few people who could apply to both the East or West regions. Each one is an equal distance drive for me.

manny7_99

Soooo, not to sound like a true jarhead but does it mean that coming from a REALLY REALLY REALLY liberal area will give me a better shot? Taking into consideration that most people around here dress, act and think like true hippies and greeners? And people say ther is no GOD :D

froghead1

I wish that were the case. If the liberal-ness of your selection area was what propelled you into OCS, I'd be in, no questions asked. It seems like everywhere I go around here, there's a protest. And, I'm not even on the west coast. Just extra motivation to get accepted and get away from here, even if it is just 45 mins south, and to do a job that I know has meaning.

VAmookie

They select numbers based on region. Say each region has 25 slots (dont know actually, and dont know how many regions) but i do know its broken up more than just east and west. So as far as numbers are concerned, they pick as many as they can from each region from the people they like. BUT... then they will assess quotas and pick people from regions that have already maxed their 25 (hypothetical) slots to make up for regions that have not filled 25 (hypothetical) slots. So... between 2 random regions, one may select 15 individuals (because thats all the OSO could recruit for that area) and to make up for those ten lost spots, another region will select 35 individals.

Hopefully that all makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.