• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Archer - Danger Zone

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Wait, that Archer commercial was tongue-in-cheek toward the movie, not toward the Navy or aviators or whatever. Did anyone seriously think it was making fun of Naval Aviators?

Lawman

None
Seems to me that it all depends on whether you're hit or missed, no?:eek:
View attachment 13057
BzB

I'm not sure what made me more uncomfortable. The days I got shot at and saw it, or the day that we found the hole in our tail on preflight and had no idea we had been shot at the night before.

Either way being shot at, especially when your not actively doing anything about it just sucks.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure what made me more uncomfortable. The days I got shot at and saw it, or the day that we found the hole in our tail on preflight and had no idea we had been shot at the night before.

Either way being shot at, especially when your not actively doing anything about it just sucks.
You're correct, my statement you cited above was more in jest. It is generally agreed, that it's the fire that you don't see, be it small arms, flak, SAM, or Mig, that' going to get you in most cases. I was hit on 3 different unrelated missions. On two of those including the downing, I never saw any any opposition! The damage in the photo of 611, was determined to be a lucky shot from small arms (rifle). I was unaware of the hit until it was discovered on a P/C post flight inspection. It did little damage... but in holing the fueling probe, had air-refueling been required, it would probably have caused an engine explosion due to fuel ingestion!:eek:
BzB

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Back to TOPGUN (the movie). I have said this before. Anyone remotely involved in aviation (to include pilots/NFOs/aircrewmen from all Services) who shits on TOPGUN as if they didn't wear out their VHS tape or DVD watching it many times as a youngster is a fat, ugly, self-hating, lying liar. And I'm a helo bubba.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I watched it in 3D when they re-released it recently. There I said it.
  • IMO, it's not so much the plot, flying scenes, nor the movie itself that influences the TG 'dislikers', but perhaps the young SH fighter jock 'hero' (with a careers worth of patches on his first-tour flight jacket), Tom Cruise... slowly morphing into another middle aged, OTH Hollywood weirdo!?:rolleyes:
BzB

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
  • IMO, it's not so much the plot, flying scenes, nor the movie itself that influences the TG 'dislikers', but perhaps the young SH fighter jock 'hero' (with a careers worth of patches on his first-tour flight jacket), Tom Cruise... slowly morphing into another middle aged, OTH Hollywood weirdo!?:rolleyes:
BzB

No, the hate was there long before Tom Cruise jumped the couch. I loved it and am not ashamed to admit it though I was reluctant to see it at the time because I remember it was sold as a love story when it came out and that kind of stuff was icky to me back then, and still is! It makes my life just a little easier too, whenever someone asks me what the hell an NFO is I just ask them "Remember Goose from Top Gun? That is what I do.......but in a different plane". That last part may have been left off or said quietly in a noisy bar depending on the hotness of the gal I was talking to but it worked none the less! ;)

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It makes my life just a little easier too, whenever someone asks me what the hell an NFO is I just ask them "Remember Goose from Top Gun? That is what I do.......but in a different plane". That last part may have been left off or said quietly in a noisy bar depending on the hotness of the gal I was talking to but it worked none the less! ;)
+10 Gave me a major league ROFL!:D
BzB