• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AR-15 lower: NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have an M4 flattop upper that needs a home --- I sold one of my Colt's lowers a while back that I was going to attach to it ---- sooooooooooo, what would you guys recommend from the below list?

Armalite Eagle
Bushmaster
DPMS
Rock River Arms
Double Star (is that ChiCom???)
Stag Arms

I was looking at the Lone Star Wholesalers website ...... any knowledge or anything better ???

Or, do you have any experience with other dealers, manufacturers, or brands that you prefer ??? Also .... the stock ... I have one of each --- collapsible M4 stock and A2 stock. I am thinking about trying an ACE SOCOM ... any takers ???

ar153jr.jpg
... M4 collapsible
ar15completeace0qo.jpg
... A2 with ACE

socom7ur.jpg
... A2 ACE with shorty/collapsible .......MAHALO .....
happysmall9xa.gif

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a Rock River Arms lower on my 20" A2. It's a great lower. I have an Ameetec Arms lower on my 16" M-4. A small company, but it got great reviews on www.ar15.com so I tried it out. Good stuff. All the brands listed there will be fine of course. From that list, all quality, I'd play it by price. I got my Ameetec for about $90 I think? My RRA was about $100 back 2 years ago.

For stock, I'm always a fan of the M-4 collapsable.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Why not get a stripped lower and build it all yourself? I deal with Bill at www.webarms.com

Also, have you seen this stock?

I also just put the Hogue grip on my M-4, it was definatly worth the $20.

Attachments

• 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 64

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm not too sure I have the tools required to build up a stripped lower ... give me a short list of what is necessary . I'll check out webarms ......

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
I'm not too sure I have the tools required to build up a stripped lower ... give me a short list of what is necessary . I'll check out webarms ......

Roll pin punches, rubber/plastic hammer, screw drivers. That's it. :) If you are using a collapsable stock, you need a castle wrench. Check www.brownells.com

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
I was reading something about drill presses, etc .... ??

Maybe if you're building off an 80% completed lower. But a 100% completed stripped lower just needs basic tools. Relatively easy build, takes about an hour. The front take-down pivot pin is THE MOST FRUSTRATING PART. Other than that, it's cake. Building an upper is a bit more involved of course. But you have a built one.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Slight course deviation ... and I hate the ChiComs ... but I heard "they" have a knock-off ACOG for something like 50% of the price of the original .... any truth or thoughts about that ??? I heard bad things about their Colt 3x and 4x knock-offs for the AR series .....

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I saw that a few days ago when I was looking up info to mount an ACOG onto my M1A... but seriously... if Trijicon, the name for an ACOG charges 850+ for a sight, and the chicoms make one for 250.... What are you not getting by going with the chicoms...

From Trijicon's own website...

Trijicon® Pursues Legal Action Against ACOG® Patent Violation
Trijicon, Inc., the originator and sole marketer of the ACOG® riflescope (Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight) has promised to pursue legal action if necessary against New Century Science & Technology, El Monte, California (aka NcSTAR) to prevent that company from marketing a replica of Trijicon’s popular ACOG®. Trijicon served NcSTAR with a cease and desist letter during the 2005 SHOT Show in Las Vegas, where NcSTAR was offering its unauthorized replicas for sale and representing them as “an exact copy of Trijicon’s ACOG® scope”. A Trijicon representative obtained one of the NcSTAR copies during the trade show and it was confirmed by examination that it was, indeed, a virtual duplicate of the ACOG®. NcSTAR agreed to cease distribution of the ACOG® replica was instructed to advise its Chinese supplier to discontinue manufacturing the product. Trijicon will conduct periodic surveillance to ensure NcSTAR upholds its end of the cease and desist agreement.

“We take great pride in our ability to produce high quality, unique optics”, says Stephen Bindon, President of Trijicon, Inc. “We will vigorously pursue and prosecute any and all infringements of our intellectual properties.”

The Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight ACOG® was designed by Glyn A. J. Bindon, founder of Trijicon. The company has been awarded a U.S. patent and several international patents on the ACOG®. The company also believes that the distinctive design and appearance of the ACOG® should be protected from duplication under current U.S. trademark laws. Therefore, Trijicon maintains that the Chinese-made clone constituted both Patent Infringement and Product Configuration Infringement, and promised to pursue legal action if New Century Science & Technology, Inc. continues to offer the ACOG® knock-offs for sale.

The Trijicon ACOG® is in wide use globally by military and police organizations as well as by discriminating sportsmen. Trijicon has issued a cautionary statement to its customers to beware of unauthorized ACOG® replicas which are neither endorsed nor warranted by Trijicon and have not been researched, tested nor manufactured according toTrijicon’s stringent quality control standards.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sure ... and Trijicon has a vested interest ... but are there ChiCom knock-off ACOG's for sale --- or is Trijicon just afraid there WOULD be if they didn't make the pre-emptive first strike .... ???

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
I've got an old DPMS lower that works really well. Upper is also DPMS, with a milspec M4 barrel (5.56mm chamber, 1/7 twist, the ONLY way to go). What make is your upper? I'd try to match brands if possible.

Right now I have a non-milspec RRA 6-pos M4 stock on the lower (it originally had an A2 stock, but that's a piece of cake to switch), but if you've got the money I'd go for a nicer one like the ACE or LMT SOPMOD (Crane style). At least get a buffer tube that's milspec (i.e. Colt) so you can upgrade to the stock of your choice later.

Heard good things about the ACE's durability and comfort, but never tried one. I prefer the looks of the standard M4 and the SOPMOD, but that's just me. Also you could try a Magpul M93 if you don't mind something different.

One more thing - if you want an ACOG-style scope, I'd go with the real thing from Trijicon. Not only would you be supporting an American company, you know you'd be getting quality. There are reasons they're so expensive, and it's not just the name: tritium licensing/hazmat fees, warranty, good optics, testing, etc.

[The previous paragraph was in no way paid for by Trijicon, Inc. but if they want to give me a free scope I'm game.]

Good luck and have fun! Gotta love those ARs.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
McNamara said:
..... Heard good things about the ACE's durability and comfort, but never tried one. I prefer the looks of the standard M4 and the SOPMOD, but that's just me. Also you could try a Magpul M93 if you don't mind something different.

Thanks for the input --- all of you. I am gonna try one of the "non-standard" collapsible stocks --- probably ACE.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Let us know how it works - I'm thinking of upgrading my stock after I get some per diem saved up! Leaning toward the LMT SOPMOD, mostly because I like to use whatever Crane's issuing to the operators. I figure, let them do the torture testing for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.