• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Approach Turn Tumble

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Interesting...

Semantics, I know, but in our FTI it was 'Max Relax Level Ball'... I had a ton of problem with this, too, but it was getting INTO the stall... I always let my AOB out when I pulled back on the stick. Tricky procedure.. lot tougher than the spin, I thought

As far as the spin, I'm surprised by Demento saying the AOA gauge isn't worked into the scan. It's beaten into our heads incessantly that as soon you start to fall out of the sky... we should be calling out "Altitude... AOA... Airspeed... Turn Needle" right up until the Airspeed gets to 120 knots, then initiate recovery. My on-wing made me do it over and over again until I was making those calls just automatically.

Demento

Old Salt
Read and Comprehend

"AoA is a great tool that is not often worked into the SNA scan pattern until they do Spins."

In spins, you are, or should be, taught the OCF scan. Not sure what you read, but I know what I wrote. If you don't include the AoA into your OCF scan during a spin, you are missing a trick. Until you have taught someone how to fly, you might not understand what I meant by "crawl, walk, run."

Your ref to 120 knots has what to do with the Approach Turn Stall? Or were you morphing the conversation toward the Spin, a different maneuver?

If you can work the AoA guage into your ATS recovery, all to the good! If not, you can fly a good ATS recovery without once looking at the AoA guage by simply using a good VFR scan an using he rudder shakers as a cue to your approach to a secondary stall as you recover. It depends on how fast your scan is at that point.

Demento

TurnandBurn55 said:
Interesting...

Semantics, I know, but in our FTI it was 'Max Relax Level Ball'... I had a ton of problem with this, too, but it was getting INTO the stall... I always let my AOB out when I pulled back on the stick. Tricky procedure.. lot tougher than the spin, I thought

As far as the spin, I'm surprised by Demento saying the AOA gauge isn't worked into the scan. It's beaten into our heads incessantly that as soon you start to fall out of the sky... we should be calling out "Altitude... AOA... Airspeed... Turn Needle" right up until the Airspeed gets to 120 knots, then initiate recovery. My on-wing made me do it over and over again until I was making those calls just automatically.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Whoops, my bad dawg... misread you earlier talking about the spin... thought you said AoA wasn't incorporated enough in the scan during spin recovery... had me scratching my head there... ignore me, I'm an idiot ;)

Demento

Old Salt
No biggie

TurnandBurn55 said:
Whoops, my bad dawg... misread you earlier talking about the spin... thought you said AoA wasn't incorporated enough in the scan during spin recovery... had me scratching my head there... ignore me, I'm an idiot ;)

I speed read too, sometimes, and end up doing the same thing. :icon_mi_1

Status
Not open for further replies.