• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Approach Magazine - April 1994

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The SNA up front was surprisingly collected - I remember turning to him and asking "that twist grip is full open right" - since there is a visible mark on the pilot/students side. I had the surprising forsight to have the SNA verify Ng/TOT as well - which helped in the safety investigation afterwards.

The poor student in the back had no idea what the hell was going on - next thing he knew we were plowing rows in a peanut field.

The aircraft was completely unscathed save for the broken fuel control. Its a testament to the Bell 206 rather than my pilot skills (and I am not being modest) - as you all know its an relatively forgiving airplane and on top of that, the full touchdown autorotation was a maneuver I practiced and demonstrated daily.
Excellent work by all hands. I have to chuckle at the plight of the poor SNA in back. I feel his pain.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
3,200 lbs is correct. If memory serves, there is a STC on the 206B to go to 3,350 lbs but involves stronger crosstubes, thus when you have a hard landing the expensive frame bends instead of the cheap crosstubes. Navy, correctly, decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Army TH-67's suffered a lot of bent airframes doing hard landing full auto's to concrete

Rockriver

pilot
Lt Mahon was certainly "The Man" back in the day! Bravo Zulu indeed.

No attempt here to hijack the thread, but I just saw the movie Sully last night. I was surprised at how that movie got me thinking deeply about the few serious emergencies and close calls I experienced years ago, in particular the delayed reaction I once had hours later when it sunk in that I could just as easily have died as lived.