• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the USNA = Great

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how to phrase this into a question without sounding like I am whining. The question is this: how do I get into the Naval Academy?

Between 4th grade and 12th, I have done the following:
1) won FIRST place in the state in the nation's BIGGEST art contest for middle school students;
2) had a perfect score on all of the math portion of the state hs graduation test (that 53% of students in the state failed that year);
3) received an Outstanding Sportsmanship Award from the state athletic association/board.

As well, I:
4) have been an MC of the high school's annual talent show;
5) participated in/had big roles in about 12 clubs--including Drama and Debate;
6) was Varsity Captain of a sport, JV Captain the prior year;
7) was a Therapeutic Recreation Aide at a nursing home (volunteer/paid);

Those are the opportunities that I had available to me. (To do something that was available to all students in the state, and beat them all.)

I can't list success/failure in playing a musical instrument, or soccer, for instance, because my family and I lived on Welfare for a year because we had moved from a different country, and have been working up since then. As well, that means I had to learn English. Therefore, I could not have much success in the following categories:

- English
- History
- Music
- Soccer
- Use your imagination

My parents wanted me to attend a community college, though I was accepted to all the schools that I had applied to (a local state school and a local private school.)

My GPA was only a 3.1 in high school because my parents had told me in 10th grade that they could only send me to a comm. college. So, I took up 12 clubs while I still had the chance.

After graduating from high school, I hated the community college and the major. My grades suffered because of this. I still did a couple of things, though.

This is what I have done since high school (at the college):

- Student Body President of a college
- Founder of a student-run College Newspaper that is now more successful than ever
- Founder of a chess club that is now more successful than ever
- Student mentor, math tutor, English as a Second Language volunteer, chess club member, engineering club member, etc.

The reason I founded the Newspaper (though I did recruit a good editor to help, who made it what it is today) was so that students could communicate and get the voice out. However, the newspaper has been illegally controlled by the administration (the non-student administration) and there hasn't been a 'real' article in it the entire past three years.

Finally, I worked three jobs at the same time as I was attending the college. They were in the top 3 categories for the most stressful jobs, as well, such as policework.

If you remove the cheaters so that they don't impact the bell curve, I would have a 3.8 GPA. I ended up having a 3.1 because I took 8 classes (2 B's and 6 A's) in 4 months to show the USNA that I was motivated and could handle the pressure. I told them that I would do it, and I did it. Yet, I was not accepted for the Class of 2008. But then, as a leader and Student Body President, I failed every class to make a point. I got sick of working, while idiots who think velocity is a measure of distance received B's after B's after copying the homework that doesn't change year to year, after copying the labs that don't change year to year. The tests were also the same year to year, and yet these dumbasses not only had access to the tests, but some people literally passed the tests around in the middle of the class during the actual test, as well, and the professor in question didn't care.

I of course, did my own homework, quizzes, and tests, because my role model is Jesus.

So, after I was going to graduate and transfer to a four-year school while waiting for this year's application to the Class of 2009 to process, I learned that my parents and I still could not really have me transfer to a four-year school. So, I had to attend the comm college again for a fourth year.

Once again, half the people were cheating, and a professor died from a heart attack just recently, maybe from this B.S. (the prof was a newer prof who actually cared, and he used the same tests every year as well, according to a classmate, and somebody was caught with one of those tests during the 3rd test, according to those classmates). As leader and former Student Body President, I had to make a point, and got F F F in all of my classes in the Fall of 04. This dropped my GPA to below 3.1.

Since the USNA makes sure that EVERY applicant is asked how their parents 'feel' about their decision to apply to the USNA, to learn if the parents are pushing them or not, you would think they would understand my bad grades.

Being a leader is not easy, and the USNA admissions process (and this forum) has motivated me a lot. I would not be here today without the knowledge that there are people who, like me, actually want to attend a college to learn. Of course, 50% of high students cheat according to statistics, and the Academies catch dozens of students cheating every year, but I can still pretend that the Academy wants leadership and and hard workers, because the Academies are about as close to what I want as there could be.

So, I have an award from the Governor and Lt Governor in the Governor's Office (the highest leaders of the state); two awards from the State Senate (the 2nd highest local leaders); two nominations from Congress (the highest local leaders); award from the state athletic association (the highest high school individual athletic award from the highest athl. ass. in the state); and a letter from the head of the board of education (the highest person in high school academics in the state).

I've done more since then, but the question is this: I am sick of applying--I want to be a member of the Class of 2009!! I honestly do not think I could have done any better than I have now.

I mean, I could have cheated at the comm college, and gotten a 4.0 GPA, but then that would make me the #1 student in the country or something like that, considering what I had to overcome. Yet, I did not cheat. And I did have to work three jobs, I had no choice. (Actually, four.)

That's why I see the Naval Academy, a place where I can concentrate on academics, leadership, and athletics, and have an actual cafeteria available instead of junk food, and not have to drive back and forth every day, and not have to work 3 jobs, or compete against cheaters honestly (which is very stressful, by the way.)

I mean, I think you can understand where I am coming from and how the USNA solves all the conflicts in my schedule so far. Thanks again for the replies.

If there is not a way I can get in, then I will found a college in 20 years and graduate from it. Or, maybe, a good school will give me an honorary bachelors. Maybe a school will change its name to mine because I don't cheat, lie, or steal, and I promote hard work. You can see how being accepted to the USNA is less of a long shot when compared to the alternatives. :eek:

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Dude, I know how you feel. The same crap goes down at my school. But you go about explaining it very poorly. I'm going to assume your essay about character was about you not cheating while everyone else did. That's not gonna help your application.

[Q]As leader and former Student Body President, I had to make a point, and got F F F in all of my classes in the Fall of 04. [/Q]

I really don't think that they care about that; all they see is you failed an entire semester. That's certainly not going to help, especially if any of them were science or calc related.

Joining 12 clubs is not going to make you look attractive. There's only 7 days in a week, and USNA knows you can't devote all your time to 12 different clubs, thus your leadership effectiveness in those clubs is probably not of the highest caliber, but again, I may be wrong.

They know people cheat, but they also know that it doesnt affect YOUR GPA. YOUR GPA is what YOU got. It might affect your class rank, and I'm sure they give that some leway, but still.

In the end, if you want it bad enough you'll get in one day. But the Class of 2009 applications have now all been processed.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I applied to the academy 3 times and got accepted the third time. But I also got a 4-year nrotc scholarship and decided to take that instead. I guess I was just going to accept what took me first because I realized it didnt matter where I went, just as long as I got a commission. I think I made a pretty damn good decision because I love the normal college life. Im not bashing the usna in any way bc I have tons of friends there right now, but some of them do wish they went to a regular college. So with that being said, with your credentials I would rather concentrate on getting into a commissioning program rather than waste your time applying to the usna, getting rejected, and then enduring another semester at comm. college (been there, done that). Its frustrating as hell, trust me. But thats jus my 2 cents.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Was there a question in that post, or are you just trying to stroke your own ego? I'm not trying to be rude, and I certainly applaud both your accomplishments and your persistence. But what, exactly, is your question? How do you get into the academy? Why were you denied previously? Which is it?

As for how people get into USNA... There is a specific group of formulae that the admissions department uses to screen qualified candidates, and I think that--barring a few exceptions that I saw there--it generally works fairly well. More than that, I can't say, because I've never sat on the admissions board. There are resources out there, though. There's some information on the USNA website, as well as on the various parents' clubs websites out there. I suggest you look into them.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
gaijin6423 said:
Was there a question in that post, or are you just trying to stroke your own ego? I'm not trying to be rude, and I certainly applaud both your accomplishments and your persistence. But what, exactly, is your question? How do you get into the academy? Why were you denied previously? Which is it?

I agree. You almost sound like youre Gods gift to the USNA or something? Bro....like i said before, worry about getting into a comssioning program rather than dwelling on the usna. There are a number of progs out there (BDCP, STA, ROTC). I think your priority should be becoming a officer rather than which school you attend. That makes 4 cents :icon_rage .

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
probably the worst thread ever

USNAClassof2009 said:
I don't know how to phrase this into a question without sounding like I am whining. The question is this: how do I get into the Naval Academy?

I dunno, GO THROUGH THE APPLICATION PROCESS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE?

I'm locking this thread and putting it out of its misery.

Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.