• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

USAF_WX2USN

I was not accepted for Pilot. I did not meet the age requirement but my application was solid. Pretty bummed out. :(
ASTB: 58 8/9/9

I got accepted for SWO which I don't really know If I want to do that.
I took the AFOQT and I'm applying for the AirForce as well.
Option C is Law School. If worse comes to worse I would have to choose between SWO and Law School. Idk which one is less exciting being that I really want to fly.

Well, to fly in the AF, you have to commission before age 29. However, the next rated board applications are not due til June and the board meets in Aug, with results in September. I also believe you have 60 days from the time you were notified for your Navy selection to get your final docs in or you run the risk of losing your slot. You're taking a bit gamble on something that is far form a sure thing. On the AF application, it does asked if you have ever applied for commissioning before and what the results were. They don't look too favorably on those who "dropped out" of other opportunities. So, if you didn't want SWO, why did you put it down? There are plenty of other people who would kill for your slot.....

Beefalo

Nico I felt the sameway for a while. I have been enlisted for 8 years hoping to be a pilot one day but NAMI says I cant. There are other opportunities in the Navy. I got accepted into OCS for info warfare and am content with that and having the honor 0f being an Officer is a great opportunity, definitely more so when you've been in and get to see how big Navy operates. Worse comes to worst you do your 4 years get out, use the GI bill to pay for law school, and have the satisfaction of serving with honor. You will be more confident, trainable, and actually have done some cool shit compared to your law school counterparts. If you want to do law and stay Navy look into JAG also.

Nico0219

Very true Beefalo. And to address your point USAF, I came into the Navy Recruiting District only wanting to fly. The recruiters kept pushing SWO on me and just added it for me on my application and said I can choose later just in case I don't get picked up for Pilot. I am now considering SWO, however. My dream is to fly so I'm waiting for my AFOQT scores which were supposed to come out yesterday.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was not accepted for Pilot. I did not meet the age requirement but my application was solid. Pretty bummed out. :(
ASTB: 58 8/9/9.
Too bad about the age problem... your numbers were awesome :), (what was your GPA?).
I got accepted for SWO which I don't really know If I want to do that.
If you aren't sure, then don't, they'd know and you would be miserable.:(
Option C is Law School. If worse comes to worse I would have to choose between SWO and Law School.
That's a no brainer if you want to fly, go USAF. As a Lawyer, your only flying will be tail-chasing ambulances & Paramedics!:eek:
Ambulance-1.jpg
BzB

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think that turning down an offer for a commissioning slot has other implications for future applications that being a non-select doesn't.

Nico0219

GPA 3.45 in Economics
Anyone have any good insight on what life is like as a SWO? I always wanted to Fly for the USN. Its funny how I've seen posts on here of guys who don't even know what they scored on the ASTB got a 2.6 GPA in basket weaving but happened to get an SNA spot, it being their second choice, because they were under the age limit. I am over the age limit by max 2 years, I think its unfair to allow a less qualified candidate operate such sophisticated equipment based on their being younger than I by 1-2 years.

USAF_WX2USN

He did say, but I tried anyway hoping the board would have given me a shot.

Ugh. Well, I would seriously think about what you're possibly giving up and do re-read my post about the AF process. I recently went thru it within the past year (although not for a flying job).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
GPA 3.45 in Economics
Anyone have any good insight on what life is like as a SWO? I always wanted to Fly for the USN. Its funny how I've seen posts on here of guys who don't even know what they scored on the ASTB got a 2.6 GPA in basket weaving but happened to get an SNA spot, it being their second choice, because they were under the age limit. I am over the age limit by max 2 years, I think its unfair to allow a less qualified candidate operate such sophisticated equipment based on their being younger than I by 1-2 years.
You are not qualified to be a Naval aviator, so it's not possible to pick someone less qualified than you. Whether you like it or not, age is an important factor in both predicting whether an individual completes training and his potential longevity in the Navy. Also, rest assured that the Navy gets plenty of applicants in the proper age group to allow it to keep its standards for entry. There comes a time in life where certain things are no longer an option and if it took you more than 27 yrs to figure out that you wanted to fly Navy well unfortunately that ship has sailed.

As for SWO, don't do it if it's not your passion. Like anything else that's a lot of work, you won't like it if your heart's not in it.

exNavyOffRec

He did say, but I tried anyway hoping the board would have given me a shot.

I was going to say your recruiter should have told you about the age limit, but I guess he did, what he should have told you is that age waivers are ONLY given for prior service time.

I am guessing he pushed for SWO knowing the age issue hoping you would go for SWO, however I am not sure how other services look at this but for the USN if you turn down a commission in any other service that is a big negative mark.

afsf1

GPA 3.45 in Economics
Lose the attitude and check out the Army's WOFT program. I believe the age limit is 33....and they get a hell of a lot more flight hours than any NA.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its funny how I've seen posts on here of guys who don't even know what they scored on the ASTB got a 2.6 GPA in basket weaving but happened to get an SNA spot, it being their second choice, because they were under the age limit.
Nico... Attitude check! Did you really believe the board would abandon one of their basic minimum requirements, because you scored well with your numbers?

I am over the age limit by max 2 years, I think its unfair to allow a less qualified candidate operate such sophisticated equipment based on their being younger than I by 1-2 years.
Very condescending statement. In your mind, you are more qualified than [some others], because of your GPA/test scores; in reality, you're NOT qualified to be selected and they ARE (however minimumly). Finally, none of the hopefuls including you, whose packages went before the board were/are qualified to operate the sophisticated equipment of which you speak. That will be determined far in the future, by well qualified ground school & flight instructors.
BzB