• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

afsf1

Have you started the medical process? If not I would start on that soon.

So for this board we will need to be PQ by MEPS prior to the board date? (I understand it was waived before).
Do you also know if they are going to do the Quality vs NQ for this board? (As in take all quality first prior to taking NQ apps? .....2.99gpa =/)

exNavyOffRec

So for this board we will need to be PQ by MEPS prior to the board date? (I understand it was waived before).
Do you also know if they are going to do the Quality vs NQ for this board? (As in take all quality first prior to taking NQ apps? .....2.99gpa =/)

I forgot to ask last week, I will call tomorrow.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
unfortunately many CCC have no idea about OCS programs, in all the meetings I was in dealing with career counseling the 3 letters OCS were never said, the three letters that were ALWAYS said were PTS, the stuff said to sailors by the CCC and Admin officers wanted me to bang my head against the wall.

I know this all too well, my CCC is absolutely clueless when it comes to OCS programs. Somewhat knowledgable about STA-21 because that is all that most of the Sailors in my command put in for. To their defense about always talking about PTS, I believe that is so because all enlisted Sailors must go through it at some point and don't necessarily have to go through OCS.

Xin Xia

Pro-Rec Supply Corp
I know this all too well, my CCC is absolutely clueless when it comes to OCS programs. Somewhat knowledgable about STA-21 because that is all that most of the Sailors in my command put in for. To their defense about always talking about PTS, I believe that is so because all enlisted Sailors must go through it at some point and don't necessarily have to go through OCS.

i think another reason for that is the fact not that many sailors got their college degrees until they are a few years older than the age requirments, even with the age waviers.

Have you started the medical process? If not I would start on that soon.

I filled out the paperwork, I'm just waiting for my recruiter to tell me to go to MEPS.

I heard today that you don't have to have the medical portion done prior to turning in your application, is that true?

exNavyOffRec

I filled out the paperwork, I'm just waiting for my recruiter to tell me to go to MEPS.

I heard today that you don't have to have the medical portion done prior to turning in your application, is that true?

It is possible they delayed that again, I am calling tomorrow to see how accurate that is, now if they are going back to rolling boards (that means every month or so) then I could see them doing away with the medical before board requirement.

21/M/Prior 4 Years USAFR crew chief C-17
BS Aeronautics ERAU 3.4 GPA
ASTB- 6/7/6 50 third attempt previous scores (4/4/4 38 4/5/4 41)
LORs – 5 LOR My command chief master sergeant E-9, group commander O-5, section chief E-8, dentist, 0-5 (Ret.)
Private pilot’s license
Process with MEPS everything came back fine

I don't know if it will answer any questions, but the recruiter putting my package together told me the MEPS does not need to be completed prior to kit submission.

Mew

mine is under the impression it had to be as was my processor. . . I would think the NavyOffRec will have to weigh in and give the final ruling

exNavyOffRec

mine is under the impression it had to be as was my processor. . . I would think the NavyOffRec will have to weigh in and give the final ruling

Here is the latest info, no it is not required, but it is in the best interest of the NRD to get it done and here is why, and they are going by "quality" and "not quality"

If a person is considered quality and they are submitted with a PQ letter, NRD gets credit for submission when submitted whether they are selected or not.
If a person is considered quality and they are submitted without a PQ letter, get selected, then get PQ letter, then NRD gets credit.
If a person is considered quality and they are submitted without a PQ letter, they are non select NRD gets no credit.
If a person is considered not quality and they are submitted with a PQ letter, NRD gets credit only if they are selected.
If a person is considered not quality and they are submitted without a PQ letter, get selected, then get PQ letter, then NRD gets credit.

Here is an example recruiter one submits 10 quality kits none with PQ letter, one is selected he gets credit for 1 but recruiter 2 submits 4 quality kits with PQ letters and none are selected, but he is credited with 4, so in the eyes of NRC recruiter 2 did more work.

patton307

I'm finishing my packet for the 4 March aviation board. I just took the ASTB today for the first time. I only studied for a week, I feel I could have done better if I studied longer but I did not think I would be putting in an OCS package 2 weeks ago either. ASTB: 6/7/7 51. I wasn't overly impressed with it when I first saw my scores, but, my recruiter was pretty happy about it. He said they need pilots pretty bad right now and considering past packages that have received slots, my ASTB score was pretty competitive. Thoughts?

afsf1

Here is the latest info, no it is not required, but it is in the best interest of the NRD to get it done and here is why, and they are going by "quality" and "not quality"

If a person is considered quality and they are submitted with a PQ letter, NRD gets credit for submission when submitted whether they are selected or not.
If a person is considered quality and they are submitted without a PQ letter, get selected, then get PQ letter, then NRD gets credit.
If a person is considered quality and they are submitted without a PQ letter, they are non select NRD gets no credit.
If a person is considered not quality and they are submitted with a PQ letter, NRD gets credit only if they are selected.
If a person is considered not quality and they are submitted without a PQ letter, get selected, then get PQ letter, then NRD gets credit.

Here is an example recruiter one submits 10 quality kits none with PQ letter, one is selected he gets credit for 1 but recruiter 2 submits 4 quality kits with PQ letters and none are selected, but he is credited with 4, so in the eyes of NRC recruiter 2 did more work.

So being not quality vs quality has no significant bearing on selection? (ASTB 1 point off, gpa .1 point off etc.)....i.e. the the difference between a 3.4 and 3.3 is the same as 3.3 and 2.9?

exNavyOffRec

I'm finishing my packet for the 4 March aviation board. I just took the ASTB today for the first time. I only studied for a week, I feel I could have done better if I studied longer but I did not think I would be putting in an OCS package 2 weeks ago either. ASTB: 6/7/7 51. I wasn't overly impressed with it when I first saw my scores, but, my recruiter was pretty happy about it. He said they need pilots pretty bad right now and considering past packages that have received slots, my ASTB score was pretty competitive. Thoughts?

Your ASTB is ok. If you read my above post you will see why he would tell you to submit. The flow of people applying to be SNA has been steady for several years and the goals overall have been fairly constant, but they do always need applicants because SNA is the biggest number when it comes to OCS.

exNavyOffRec

Your ASTB is ok. If you read my above post you will see why he would tell you to submit. The flow of people applying to be SNA has been steady for several years and the goals overall have been fairly constant, but they do always need applicants because SNA is the biggest number when it comes to OCS.

exNavyOffRec

So being not quality vs quality has no significant bearing on selection? (ASTB 1 point off, gpa .1 point off etc.)....i.e. the the difference between a 3.4 and 3.3 is the same as 3.3 and 2.9?

It appears so, but there is still some vague info coming out, when all the rules are enforced it will put pressure on the NRD to work on the "quality" applicants more than the "not quality"