• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to OCS, looking for advice

Fastdak25

Pro-Rec'd IW
First let me say where i'm at currently. I'm a little over 2.5 years enlisted. E-4 and just recieved an EP eval (ranked #5) and am EAWS qualed (going to start ESWS very soon). Only collateral duty i've had has been training PO for the last 1.5 years and have aced every inspection thrown at me.

I have my degree in Networking Technologies. My Divo and other officers in the division who are all previsouly enlisted are pushing me to apply. I am about to finish the pre-com physical, had to redo a couple things and am waiting to see the doc again to sign off on the physical.

My ship is currently out to sea, but when we get back my counselor is going to help me set up an appoint to go take the OAR, and try to speak with an office recruiter. Still trying to figure out which designator is going to be best for me, one that i have a shot at being picked up for and being good at. I was trying to go for NFO, but my vision has pretty much knocked me out of that.

My vision is pretty bad. First off its barely correctable to 20/20, current glasses i wear do not have me corrected, but the glasses ordered from the pre-com physical do ,or at least the paperwork said so according to the corpsman. Also the refraction in my right eye is at -8.75, over the limit of -8.00. The corpsman said that shouldn't be a big problem though to get a waiver. This true? Anyone have insight in getting waivers for vision for non-aviation designators.

I'm looking to apply for Information Personnel or Warefare, and also possible MSC Health Care administrator (which my dad did in the AF for 24 years before retiring full colonel). Anyway, thats where i'm at and just wondering if anyone has some insight that could hepl me with this process. All the top CoC in my division and department are highly recommending me, but i know it all depends on the people off the ship who say yes or no to my package.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Also the refraction in my right eye is at -8.75, over the limit of -8.00. The corpsman said that shouldn't be a big problem though to get a waiver. This true? Anyone have insight in getting waivers for vision for non-aviation designators.

Back in 2002, I applied for NFO with -9.00 diopters: no go. Wasn't a problem getting it waived for a non-aviation designator though.

Fastdak25

Pro-Rec'd IW
Back in 2002, I applied for NFO with -9.00 diopters: no go. Wasn't a problem getting it waived for a non-aviation designator though.

My Divo says it shouldn't be a problem, but i still always like to get more outside info from people who have gone through the process (he went through an older program that eventually became part of STA-21). I went to the opthalmologist at the naval hospital nearby to see about PRK, but i learned my refraction exceeds the limit for PRK and the LASIK required is only done on the east coast (stationed in WA st).