• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

application questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpikula

I just registered today and I wanted to say hello to everybody. I also have a couple of questions that maybe you all could help me with. I just recently took the ASTB, passed my MEPS physical, and sent off an applicaton in hopes of getting picked up as a pilot. I scored pretty good on the test (7,5,6 & 55) and my GPA is about a 3.2, but I put 9/15/01 for the date available on my app. Will this hurt my chances of getting picked as a pilot?
My recruiter said it was no big deal and he guaranteed me my first choice (yeah right), but he said something about off-year pilots or out of year pilots. Do any of you know what this is? And also, the recruiting office here in Jacksonville sent my app in about 2 or 3 weeks ago. How long does it take to get a response? Thanks for your help!

unfUSN

I'm in Jax too, who's your rec?

It shouldn't take too long to hear back on your app. Mine took about 2 weeks, but I'm going in NFO.

Your test scores seem competitive so I really wouldn't worry.

ATP

Musiqlover

It all depends on if your application was completed correctly by your recruiter and that there aren't and discrepancies. My recruiter mailed my kit in, and later realized that my test scores weren't quite high enough for pilot. That was HIS fault! So, he let me re-take the test, I passed, and he had to re-submit my test score. That delayed my app like 2-3 weeks. So, just hope and pray that it will go through OK. Did you have any problems with your physical? That can also be a barrier, that is, if you didn't pass any part of that.

Best of luck to you!

Sincerely,

Paul

bpikula

Thanks for the feedback. My rec is Sr Chief Louvat. You know him? I assume you go to UNF as well. I'm trying to finish my MBA before leaving for OCS, thus the Sept 15th start date. You are leaving pretty soon, right? Did everything with your injured finger work out alright?

unfUSN

Sr Chief Louvat is my rec too. My finger is still a question... I really want to try and get into the ACES program before OCS... that way I'll know if I can pass the flight physical or not. I'm sloted for the June 2nd class.

I'm sure you'll be hearing something soon about your app. I really wouldn't sweat it.

ATP

bpikula

Thanks Paul, As far as I know everything is okay. I passed my physical and PRT, but my EKG had a wierd reading so they kept my info at MEPS a little longer than normal. That may be the problem. Anyway I went to see a cardiologist on my own and passed everything fine. In fact they laughed at me for coming in. Thanks MEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brad, welcome to the forum, and best of luck on your package submission. That is great that you are going to finish your MBA before going in, good stuff. Looks like you have competitive scores, but it is always hard to play the "waiting" game till you get your package back. Also, glad to see another Gator fan on the forum, I personally enjoyed going to the Blue and Orange game on Saturday, too bad I won't be here in Jax for any of the regular season.

Anyways, hope everything goes well on your package.

unfUSN

I was at the Orange and Blue game too. Personally I wasn't to happy with either QB... what do you think? Berlin loked better, but Grossman has some real game experience...

I'm gonna miss the game trips to the Swamp this year.

ATP

bpikula

Hey guys, good news! I guess my recruiter must read this forum as well. He just sent this e mail:

Sorry for not getting back to you but i have been on leave with a new baby. Looking at the reports you have been board recommended for Pilot. That is one of three steps, the other two are medically qualified. The doctor is backloaded right now and that is the reason for the delay. The third is the actual select. When the doc ok's your package normally the select occurs the same day. That should be any time now.

As for ACES, i'm not sure if we are going to get that class, they are really backed up right now also but we have requested it.

John

More waiting, but at least I'm moving forward!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was pretty happy with Berlin (and the quickness of the game, can't believe it was already over at 220, no time outs and commercials to get in the way..), but we lost some juniors and seniors, we'll see.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Jeez, can't Grossman transfer to some other school...like the University of Alaska?

WDE

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Brad,
Since i am someone who know A LOT about how much ones application can be delayed(mine was basicly ready to go in January!!!) beilve me i feel your pain. the wiating can be nail biting, but just keep you head up. also i dont think when you are applying will hurt your chances of getting selected at lest that is what i have heard.

Kyle McWhirter

I also had a GREAT time at MEPS. The Chief Medical Officer said I was initially NPQ'd because my ekg had a weird reading and basically said I could drop dead at any moment. My recruiter sent me to the reserve center in Buffalo and they passed me with no problem. In fact, my ekg was perfect. It was a trying experience, Meps that is, but I am glad all was sorted out accordingly.

With regards to the time to hear back about my application...my recruiter send my application in on a Thursday and I was accepted within ONE week. I was shocked to say the least. Now on to OCS in June...53 days left!

Dave Shutter

Congrats Kyle...one week! You must have put up some hellacious numbers on your app, hope to see you in P-cola!

I'm in the same boat as most of you. After months of preparation my app finally got mailed out on Fri, Mar. 16, (could have gone out a week sooner, but waited on signatures from interviewer and the CO) They received delivery confirmation from CNRC, Millington Tenn. the following Mon. About two weeks later I called and learned that I was approved for my med-waiver WHEW! (1st step) Then it was off to the review board (2nd step). That's where I'm at now. I called again today, nothing new, and was told in a friendly manner not to call again for a week, at which point they should have heard something else. Maybe board selection, maybe SNA selection?

quote: Sorry for not getting back to you but i have been on leave with a new baby. Looking at the reports you have been board recommended for Pilot. That is one of three steps, the other two are medically qualified. The doctor is backloaded right now and that is the reason for the delay. The third is the actual select. When the doc ok's your package normally the select occurs the same day. That should be any time now.

bpikula...My med part was evaluated first. Maybe it's because we were applying for a doozie of a waiver. Like I said, it took about two weeks, which is pretty good considering I've heard that a normal med-review takes that long and mine is anything but! My app has been at pro-board review for a week now, and again, with prior service and a few other circumstances, I'm not the average applicant. Could be a while. They might see something they don't like. But after getting the med-waiver I'm really confident I'll pass the board and then go to communty selection. I hear at that point it's basically a matter of them having openings or not.

I'll let y'all know

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 04/10/2001 00:30:14

bpikula

Hey Dave, good luck with your application and thanks for the info. I do have one question though, once board recomended and you get the okay from medical are you pretty much guaranteed a slot if there are openings (I assume there are plenty based on what I've read) or can you get passed over for other canidates when selection occurs? I'm kind of ignorant to whole selection process and I don't want to get my hopes up if there are more hoops to jump through.

Status
Not open for further replies.