• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API washout rate.

Robert Allen

I've fixed them, now I fly them!
Is the high selection rate of pilots due to a high washout rate in API?

On a side note: What is the current wait for classing up to start API?

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

...234%

There's a decent amount of attrition at every level, including (but less so) up to the RAG and the Fleet.

I'm not sure anyone would have a number on stats for attrition at API because it can fluctuate based on how USN, USMC, and USCG manning needs to graduate to put asses in seats in the next pipeline.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Attrition is one aspect of production planning. But attrition takes many forms and is considered from production start (API) to finish (Wings). I beleive the attrition rate from API is rather low compared to IFS, Primary, Intermediate/Advanced.

I wouldn't worry about attrition at this point. When you show up, STUDY HARD and do your best.

jbalesi

"Poop Dick"
None
Just updating this because no one has in a while...

From what I could see as a student, only 5 out of ~40 or so people per class failed multiple tests/couldn't swim/medical issues and were attrited from API.

As far as NFO Primary goes, around 5 students out of the original 15 were attrited due to various reasons (multiple failures/air sickness/medical).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
According to our in-brief on Tuesday, attrition was around 4.6% for FY13 or 140 personnel, roughly.

That means right around 3000 folks went through API in FY13, pretty interesting to see accession numbers for a year.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
Just updating this because no one has in a while...

From what I could see as a student, only 5 out of ~40 or so people per class failed multiple tests/couldn't swim/medical issues and were attrited from API.

As far as NFO Primary goes, around 5 students out of the original 15 were attrited due to various reasons (multiple failures/air sickness/medical).

Did you actually see people attrite for not being able to swim, or people who DOR'd from not being able to swim. Knowing some guys who sunk like a rock, they would bend over backwards and take you off the academic schedule, to make sure you passed the swim portion, even if it took months.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
That means right around 3000 folks went through API in FY13, pretty interesting to see accession numbers for a year.

60/class with 50 classes per year? Seems awfully high - even counting attrites in other phases.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
60/class with 50 classes per year? Seems awfully high - even counting attrites in other phases.

Seemed a bit high to me too but API is the starting point for all aviators from three services so maybe not.

jbalesi

"Poop Dick"
None
Did you actually see people attrite for not being able to swim, or people who DOR'd from not being able to swim. Knowing some guys who sunk like a rock, they would bend over backwards and take you off the academic schedule, to make sure you passed the swim portion, even if it took months.

I saw both. A couple of people DOR'd from fear of various water activities and I also saw people being attrited for it as well. While I was there, they implemented a new '10 day rule', or at least that's what people were calling it... which was something to the effect of "if you've made no significant progress in 10 days, you will see a psychologist. If that doesn't help, you're out of the program".