• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Swim Quals

Status
Not open for further replies.

onee

This is mainly for anyone who is currently at or recently completed API.
I class up at OCS November 15, and will be reporting to API soon after that. In the mean time, I'm working to meet and possibly exceed all standards.
My weakness is swimming. I started swimming only after I received my acceptance letter last month, and this is where I stand right now.
BREAST STROKE - I can do half a mile in 30mns
goldfish_125.gif

SIDE STROKE - About 50 yards, then I get tired
crazy_125.gif

BACK STROKE - Almost as good as breast stroke
idea_125.gif

FREE STYLE - I really really suck at it!
banghead_125.gif

TREAD WATER - About a minute
ashamed_125.gif

DEAD MAN FLOAT(FACE DOWN) - 2 minutes

As far as I know, I have to be able to swim a mile. However, I don't know how much time I have to do that. I also would like to know what strokes I should be focusing on. I really hope I don't have to know the FREESTYLE, my body just does not seem to get it.
And how long should I be able to tread water for?
Please help;
Thank You;

jaerose

I would like to know this as well...I swim like a rock. Also, I have broad shoulders, so the water resistance in freestyle is ridiculous.

JR

NuSnake

I think you have 80 min to complete a mile.....someone correct me if im wrong

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

Phiman

I haven't been to API yet, but I have been on the swim team as well as done swim quals with the navy and the key is Survival swimming. It's not a race, so don't make it one. So there may be people ahead of you, yahoo for them, it doesn't matter to you or your qual. Just relax and take your time, use your natural bouyancy and stroke slower. Also, you will have to be in flight gear and boots, I've done that too and I hated it, and I'm a darned good swimmer. But once I got my head in the game and lost the fear of the extra weight, it wasn't as bad as I had made it out to be. Half of swimmng is mental, just like running, you probably have the aerobic stamina so just relax and swim slowly, pace yourself and practice. It will come to you.

P.S.-Try concentrating on Breast Stroke, that will be your money shot. Everyone has natural affinities to different strokes, but for the most part the breast stroke will tire you out more slowly. Hope that helps.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Not to mention you'll get plenty of practice before hand too. They don't just throw you in a pool and tell you to swim a mile, you'll work up to it. Relax, keep swimming as often as you can, you'll be fine.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
Maybe I missed it elsewhere in the forum, but anyone have any idea what the current minimums are for running (mile and half?), pushups, etc?

I'll be 33 before I get into API... oof, I'm feeling old.

EDIT: Nevermind, found this:

https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/survival/survival_api.htm

and

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/nrotc/idm/files/npa_welcome.doc

I think the later is more current, in spite of being hosted on a UCLA web site vice Navy.

The Word Document doesn't mention anything in regards to time allowed for situps and pushups, but I assume it's 2 minutes as the web site indicates.

Not impossible, but I got my work cut out for me. :)

E

Kim

For treading water you have to use the frog kick, not a scissors kick, because you will be wearing flight boots. Then you have to float afterwards, which is a lot harder when you are breathing hard. I would definately work on treading water. You have to be able to do the crawl stroke, side stroke, and breaststroke, but for the mile swim you can use any of them. We never did normal backstroke, only elementary backstroke (like breaststroke on your back). Good luck.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
You'll get plenty of time in the pool practicing your strokes. The instructors are good and they will get you up to speed in the pool quickly. We had I guy that couldnt swim a lick and he made it through. The instructors are good at getting non swimmers through the program. So, relax and dont sweat the small stuff. And yes you have 80 min for the mile swim. No worries.

Dave

FLMarine

The swimming at API is really very easy, almost a joke if you ask me. I just finished the tread with all your gear on test today and have the mile swim in a couple of days. When we practiced strokes we did all of about four to eight laps and that was it for the day. You have eight classes before you do the mile swim (and you do that in just the flight suit without any boots on). You start wearing the flight suit around lesson 4 or so and eventually wear the suit, boots, gloves, your vest thingamagier, and helmet for the two minute tread water and three minute dead man's float test. You even get to wear a lifejacket for the burning oil drill. The only semi hard part was the treading water with all the flight gear on and that wasn't even that hard. Only about four guys from my class from my class had to redo the treading water test. To get WS-1 qualified with the Marine Corps is about ten times harder than the API swimming. At TBS we had to do the burning oil drill in full utilities and boots (No lifejacket), and had to swim two lenghts of the pool splashing all the way. If we stopped splashing for a couple of strokes we had to do it over again. So don't worry to much unless you still do the doggy paddle.

kevin

treading water is a lot about breath control. obviously this is more difficult when you are done swimming and trying to get your breath. it's pretty much the submarine philosophy, when your lungs are filled with air you float. practice this enough and you'll find you almost dont need to use any arms or legs at all (with gear you might still need to somewhat). basically you can be hog tied and thrown in the water and still be able to float (but it's a mental thing to as one person already said = avoid panic).

kevin

excellent advice. as well, what helped me the most was basically doing what the seals do in training. go to the deepend of a pool and lock your ankles together and your hands behind your back. then basically bounce up and down off the bottom. you take a big breath at the surface and blow it out slowly and you will sink slowly. at the bottom, push off hard and take another breath as you break the surface. keep this up for a while (usually for about 20-30 min, you might have to work up to it). it sounds ludicrous (is that a rapper?) but it acclimatizes you to two different things. 1) staying calm in the water 2) learning breath control....oh and 3)you'll get some damn funny looks from the lifeguards. the other good thing to do is just swim. jaerose, i have the shoulder thing too, but if you use proper freestyle stroke, it really shouldnt affect you that much.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
In OCS they do API prep and get you up to speed in each of the different strokes you will need. At the end of OCS I still sucked at the breast stroke, but when I got to API it all came together. Even just reporting to API they do a swim screen and if you are not up to speed they put you on swim hold until you are. Swim hold is not a bad thing, they have you come in and swim two times a day until proficient and that is your only job. As a swimmer, I was one of the worst in my class, but I still passed every evolution. I am not saying it was pretty, but passing is passing. I was second to last on the mile and ended up clocking in at 67 minutes and side stroked it most of the way. The Navy is investing alot of money in you and wants you to succeed, just as long as you put forth your best effort. During the first day of briefings they tell you that no one has been kicked out for not being able to swim. They get booted for giving up on themselves. The best thing you can do before you get here is to take swim lessons and get in the water as much as possible so that you are comfortable. They will take care of the rest. Good luck, Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.