• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API (or is it IFS?) with your PPL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...it would be a good tiebreaker...

1) He'd cost the NAVY less money (no IFS).
2) He's already demonstrated a basic aptitude for aviation.
3) He's demonstrated that he's committed (or at least personally invested) in some way to aviation (he's dumped his own cash into pursuing it).
4) Overall he'd seems to be a more 'sure' bet than someone that has never been in an airplane or taken instruction in one.

Disclaimer: The above is merely a baseless opinion of a lowly JO, and should be taken with several pounds of salt.

Ah, the mythical 'tiebreaker'. I won't say it never, ever happens, but unless you've got freakishly identical twins who did every single thing the same since birth, except one has been in a plane for 50-ish hours, there's no such thing as 'identical' candidates. What happens is you're comparing apples and oranges (and pomegranates, nectarines, kumquats, tangelos and plantains) weighing the backgrounds of many different candidates.

Your specific points:
1) It's not the board's money, they don't care about spending the Navy's money, and it's not that much money anyway.
2) No, he hasn't. He's demonstrated that he probably doesn't get violently and incurably airsick. That's it.
3) His cash? What if it's Daddy's cash? Or it's his uncle who owns the flight school?
4) Navy flight training is an entirely different animal than civilian GenAv training. Some of the monkey skills are the same, and there's benefit in some prior training (which is why we do IFS), but prior flight time is no indicator at all as to your chances of successfully getting winged.

Look, if getting your PPL made you a shoo-in, or even more competitive for a SNA/SNFO slot, we would tell you. It would be obvious. We're really not trying to fool anyone.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Also just to give the OP another example...

Someone in the June or July boards, I can't remember, had stats that we all thought would make him a shoe-in. He had a ridiculously high GPA, had destroyed the ASTB, had something like 2000 hours of flight time with all the fucking ratings one could possibly get, not to mention he flew for like UPS or something as well.

He was a non-select.

It differs from person to person and definitely don't just do things that you think the board will like and get you accepted. Don't try to game the system. Follow Fester's advice and OU's advice and go get some interviews or something. Those are WAY cheaper and will hold much more weight.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
definitely don't just do things that you think the board will like and get you accepted.

I would recommend doing the opposite of what CUPike said.:D It worked out well for me...

When I was in high school I was talking to my officer recruiter and asking questions like:

What are the most competitive college degrees for the flight program?

Recruiter told me that engineering/technical degrees were preferable; degrees with an aviation focus would just be a bonus.

What kind of collegiate activities do they like to see in an applicant?

Recruiter told me any clubs/organizations would do, but told me that leadership positions and key roles in said clubs/organizations are a bonus. Competitive sports are highly looked upon. Any volunteer work as well helps complete the 'well rounded' picture of the applicant.

Do they like to see applicants with flight time?

Recruiter told me yes, believe it or not.

I took in all that information in HS, figured if they wanted an engineering degree the most, and aviation was a bonus, that Aerospace Engineering would be a good fit, found the best Aerospace Engineering school (that I would get accepted to), and went for it.

Joined I think 4 different clubs, sought out leadership roles in em'.

Saved up for my PPL and squeaked it out toward the end of college....

Bottom line, there are many different ways to skin the cat and mentalities that will all get you what you're looking for.

I don't think it's wrong to see a career you'd like to have and try to mold yourself into as strong an applicant as possible.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
If you look on here there are a million threads dedicated to IFS. It's just a screen to see if you have any aptitude to become a pilot/nfo.

Rog... I should know better :banghead_... learn the search function... LOVE the search function.... and all will be well

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
words and more words..

No one is saying that the OP shouldn't make themselves the best candidate possible, however, going about it and just doing things that you think will make them "like" you shows a lack of drive, you're a robot, not someone who can think for themselves, and a follower mentality to me at least. Just my .02.

So what happens if the OP does all the things he/she things are necessary but doesn't get picked up....even after several tries? Then what? Yeah you may have great credentials to do something else, but if you were just doing stuff to fill up an application and had no real interest in them, you're basically stuck with a pile of garbage and wasted $$$$$.

I'm not turning this into a "which way is better" argument. To the OP, go and do what you think is right, but be prepared for the consequences either way. Hopefully you will do something you enjoy doing and not just for the sake of an acceptance.

Good luck to you and keep us posted with your app status when you can

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do they like to see applicants with flight time?

Recruiter told me yes, believe it or not.

I don't think it's wrong to see a career you'd like to have and try to mold yourself into as strong an applicant as possible.

That's a different question from "will getting my PPL make me more competitive"? There's nothing bad about having one, and if you feel like doing it and can get the hours without breaking the bank, fine. But it's not worth the time and money just to get one for purposes of applying. And it's flat wrong to give any hopeful or wannabe the impression that dropping a few grand on a private ticket is mandatory, encouraged, or even that big a help to an application. It simply is not.

If you consider the money well-spent, then that's good for you.

arianjalali

Guys, I apologize for inadvertently triggering a debate over this subject. I attempted a search of the API threads and was unable to find the answer to my original question (which is why I posted a new thread). I just wanna reiterate that the question I was asking was: "what part of the aviator pipeline does a PPL allow you to bypass?".. I have already read throughout this site that it's sort of a grey area as far as what exactly acquiring a PPL does for one's package. My primary reason for wanting to get one is to see if I actually have what it takes to fly an airplane. I understand that one could virtually train themselves to do almost anything if they have the ambition and aptitude to do so, but I imagine not everyone is cut out for this field. This is why I am taking it into my own hands and seeing if I have any "naturalistic" abilities to fly.

UncleFester, I agree with what you're saying.. This is an application to be an OFFICER, not an aviator. A PPL couldn't carry too much weight at all, as far as the "whole person" concept goes, since any average joe (like myself lol) could go out and get one. I am simply doing this for myself.

Thanks again, everyone!

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
Tor reiterate the answer: You will bypass IFS if you have a PPL. That's it.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If you have a PPL you can skip IFS, the requirements are in the link you posted. If you have a significant amount of flying experience you can be accelerated through primary. I know two guys who were accelerated in primary and both had hundreds of hours of civilian time and were CFI's

Mavric09

Is that what she said?
So to get back to the original question a bit, If you go for your ppl you WILL NOT be able to take IFS for more "reinforcement" experience when you get here. They will ask for your log and qual sheet and take you off the IFS list at check in.

Just to clarify, IFS and API are two completely different schools that are both done in Pensacola. They are in the same building but different parts with different budgets. And, they don't communicate very well at all. So you would bypass IFS and be put on the API list and wait around with the rest in A-pool... till you get a stash job.

Phoenix1

i am not one of the two treetop is talking about, but i did fall into that situation. skipped IFS, API was pretty much a review and primary was pretty easy, i had done all that stuff before (minus aerobatics) and I had even taught all that stuff before, including the instrument stuff. The accelerated primary... probably not such a good thing, takes a lot of "learning it the navy way" out which turns out to not be so great when you are supposed to do everything the "navy way." if you do not have your PPL, take all these guy's advice and do not waste the time or cash. if you have you PPL and have maybe even started instrument, then finish instrument. its the only valuable part of my flight training that has REALLY cashed in, it will set you apart so fast, but its a ton of cash in the civ world. so if you dont plan on going all the way through instrument in the civ world, its a waste.

PLUS if you go get any civilian licenses or ratings, if you are flying a military airplane and commit or get a violation, FAA can put that violation on your civilian tickets too, double whammy... my advice (from someone who did the whole civilian side first), keep your $$ and use your time to get more LOR's.

phrogpilot73

PLUS if you go get any civilian licenses or ratings, if you are flying a military airplane and commit or get a violation, FAA can put that violation on your civilian tickets too, double whammy... my advice (from someone who did the whole civilian side first), keep your $$ and use your time to get more LOR's.
That's why when you file you tell them the pilot's name is "On File". Military Aviators are not required to provide their name for the flight plan.

arianjalali

Hey guys, I figured I would go ahead and ask this other question I have that somewhat relates to this thread.. But do you think that a PPL would help out at all with the Aviation/Nautical portion of the test? I spoke with an OR in Morgantown, WV and he reinforced my decision to get some flight hours logged so that I could have a better grasp on the Aviation/Nautical information and the Spatial Apperception sections of the exam. If anyone has any feedback, then let me know! Thanks.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey guys, I figured I would go ahead and ask this other question I have that somewhat relates to this thread.. But do you think that a PPL would help out at all with the Aviation/Nautical portion of the test? I spoke with an OR in Morgantown, WV and he reinforced my decision to get some flight hours logged so that I could have a better grasp on the Aviation/Nautical information and the Spatial Apperception sections of the exam. If anyone has any feedback, then let me know! Thanks.

No. I never set foot in an airplane that didn't have a stewardess before I took the ASTB and did just fine. Spend $30 for a study book, not several grand for flying lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.