• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API (or is it IFS?) with your PPL

Status
Not open for further replies.

arianjalali

Now I tried using the search feature to find threads on this site cross-referenced with the term "PPL" and "private pilot license" and searched the threads in this API forum and was unable to find anything, so I hope I'm okay in asking this..

If one were to have their PPL, then what part of API (if not all?) would they be able to bypass in the aviator pipeline? I'm hoping someone knows the answer to this and that it's a big "N-O" to being able to bypass any of it. That might sound weird, but I love the idea of training and learning how to reinforce doing something.. So I'd want to take my time with every stage of the process. I'm sure some of you will think I'm crazy though lol. Thanks in advance!

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If you already have flight experience then by all means skip IFS. However, getting a PPL to bypass IFS is a major waste of money in my opinion. If you are doing it to speed up your progress, realize that you will have plenty of waiting in your future anyway so you might as well develop your patience. IFS is moderately useful, doesn't take that long, and is paid for by the government while they pay you to go.

arianjalali

Believe me.. The only reasons I'm getting my PPL are to show the board that I have the abilities to fly and that I'm willing to invest 40 hours (and more money than I should be spending lol) to contribute to the 'whole person' concept and show my dedication to making this dream come true. I know it won't necessarily carry me TOO far in selection.. But if it'll make my edge just a little bit sharper, then it'll be worth it. Thanks for the info, though!

On https://ifs.cnet.navy.mil/ifscode/help/FAQ.cfm -- it's saying that there are two programs, 50-day and 100-day. Is this generally the duration of IFS?

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Believe me.. The only reasons I'm getting my PPL are to show the board that I have the abilities to fly and that I'm willing to invest 40 hours (and more money than I should be spending lol) to contribute to the 'whole person' concept and show my dedication to making this dream come true. I know it won't necessarily carry me TOO far in selection.. But if it'll make my edge just a little bit sharper, then it'll be worth it. Thanks for the info, though!

IFS is on someone else's dime...so that's always a big consideration. But I had my PPL and I think I learned a lot more than people do in IFS. Now granted, I've never been to IFS so I don't know for sure the syllabus...but I did a lot of instrument stuff with my instructor (both in the plane and a "sim") that helped a TON in primary. Just my 2 cents. With the PPL you can tailor what you want out of your instructor.... Plus it's just fun to do it....

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot

On https://ifs.cnet.navy.mil/ifscode/help/FAQ.cfm -- it's saying that there are two programs, 50-day and 100-day. Is this generally the duration of IFS?

Trust me...the coin you would drop getting a PPL is not worth the amount of "help" you would get from the selection board. There are bigger contributions you can make that are free (ie. letters of recommendation, interviews with officer's in that community) that go a lot further than if you had a PPL.

If you just want it to have it, go for it..but do not do it with the thought that it will sway the board either way.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Stupid question, but what does completing IFS equate to? A ppl short of an exam?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again with this shit?

Look, for the millionth time: a PPL will not sway a selection board, may or may not help you in Primary (debatable and depends greatly on the individual student and the quality of instruction), and it's definitely not worth the time or money.

Like OU said, there are other things that go a much longer way towards a 'whole person'. Play a sport? President of a club? Volunteer reading to blind kids?

The ASTB is to screen for very basic aptitude, and IFS does a little more. All getting your PPL tells a board is that you have some extra time and money on your hands. It does not show them anything in the way of aptitude...you can go up and read a comic book for two hours at Bob's Flight Academy, it's your nickel.

Now, if you do all that good extra-curricular shit and your grades and PRT scores are tight and you've got the time and money...shit, sure, go bang around in a 172 for a while. Not at the expense of that other stuff.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Stupid question, but what does completing IFS equate to? A ppl short of an exam?

If you look on here there are a million threads dedicated to IFS. It's just a screen to see if you have any aptitude to become a pilot/nfo.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Look, for the millionth time: a PPL will not sway a selection board

I disagree with this sir. I applied for my flight slot and got turned down 3 times. Each time I 'improved' my package in different ways... Raised my GPA, joined clubs, took up leadership positions, etc. When I applied the fourth time (was selected), the only difference between that and the previous time was that I had 60 hours and my PPL.

In my 4th application letter I talked about getting my PPL to demonstrate that I have the aptitude for aviation and that I'm committed, etc. I stand by that this is the reason they picked me up...

Then again, others' mileage may vary...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I disagree with this sir. I applied for my flight slot and got turned down 3 times. Each time I 'improved' my package in different ways... Raised my GPA, joined clubs, took up leadership positions, etc. When I applied the fourth time (was selected), the only difference between that and the previous time was that I had 60 hours and my PPL.

In my 4th application letter I talked about getting my PPL to demonstrate that I have the aptitude for aviation and that I'm committed, etc. I stand by that this is the reason they picked me up...

Then again, others' mileage may vary...

Or it could have been that the other applicants weren't as competitive for that board as they had been on your previous boards. Your PPL may helped, it may have not. I wouldn't apply cause and effect so definitively.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I disagree with this sir...

Were you on the board? So how do you know that the PPL is what made the difference?

Disagree if you like, but I'm telling you straight-up: a PPL is in no way a decisive factor in an application. It can help shore up a weak package, but not so much as many other things - other things which can be done quicker, easier and much cheaper. We're not hiring a pilot, we're hiring a Naval officer.

I'll give you a negative example: Say applicant 'A' has his PPL and 'B' doesn't. Does that mean that 'B' doesn't have the desire or aptitude to be a pilot? Of course not; probably just that he doesn't have the time or means to pay for the instruction. Does it mean 'A' is or will be a better pilot? Also no.

A PPL simply doesn't impress anyone in professional aviation, especially in military aviation. It's not that difficult to accumulate a few hours in a C-172 at Bob's Aviation Academy and Bait Shop. It's kind of like saying you're better suited to be a Formula One driver because you passed your driver's license test.

Godspeed

pilot
Or it could have been that the other applicants weren't as competitive for that board as they had been on your previous boards. Your PPL may helped, it may have not. I wouldn't apply cause and effect so definitively.

True. I just don't think that the PPL won't sway a selection board.. It seems, at the very least, it would be a good tiebreaker or hold some weight.

I'm not an all knowing, powerful selection board guru... But if I were and I saw a couple somewhat 'equal' applicants, one with a PPL and one not, I'd take the one with the PPL. Reason being?

1) He'd cost the NAVY less money (no IFS).
2) He's already demonstrated a basic aptitude for aviation.
3) He's demonstrated that he's committed (or at least personally invested) in some way to aviation (he's dumped his own cash into pursuing it).
4) Overall he'd seems to be a more 'sure' bet than someone that has never been in an airplane or taken instruction in one.

I don't necessarily think that every prospective applicant needs to go shell out 5 grand to get a PPL, but when I applied I wanted every single advantage I could get (especially by the fourth try)

Disclaimer: The above is merely a baseless opinion of a lowly JO, and should be taken with several pounds of salt.

Godspeed

pilot
Were you on the board? So how do you know that the PPL is what made the difference?

Disagree if you like, but I'm telling you straight-up: a PPL is in no way a decisive factor in an application. It's kind of like saying you're better suited to be a Formula One driver because you passed your driver's license test.

Point taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.