• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiderunner

I'm about halfway through API right now and was wondering if anyone could inform me on tactics to tackle the dreaded NAV exam. I've already had trouble with Aero 2
banghead_125.gif
and don't want anymore trouble. I heard the best thing to do is to take the practice exam like you're taking the exam? any hints would be great.

Dylan Porter

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
That's what I found to be the best way. First I would do the different end of chapter questions and such. I then used the practice exam as a tool to judge my performance and knowledge retention. You MUST get comfortable with that whiz wheel and also plotting routes, etc. If you can get those down, the rest is cake. Just keep doing them over and over.

Tiderunner

i've heard some people say it is better not to use the estimation method, but I've also heard the opposite. Any comments?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I don't know. It's a really good idea to do it for the problem, before you work it, just so you know whether or not you're on the right track with the answer you actually work out. But, you don't want to take a whole lot of time doing it because their's not much to waste. If you run out of time and have some left, yes do some estimating -- better to give an educated guess than to just flip a coin and hope for the best.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Tide, jboomer hit it right on. Time is not your friend on the NAV exam. The best bet is doing those practice exams, and getting comfortable doing the problems. You shouldn't be wasting time during the test trying to figure out the whiz wheel or remembering how to solve a problem. Estimating is a great tool to make sure you are in the ballpark, just depends on how comfortable you are, and how much time you have. It has been too long since I took the test, almost 4 years ago, but I DO recall spending an inordinate amount of time doing practice exams. Hope that helps, and best of luck.

Tiderunner

Thanks for ya'lls input, I appreciate it. I've got to get through engines and Aero 2 first and then I'll tackle the practice exams. Wearing a flight suit never seemed so close, but so damn far away. By the way iis webmaster a grad from UF, I recieved my commission from there last May.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Just a little advice, in the gouge section, there's a link to someone's website (Air Force) that actually typed all of the ELO's and the answers. My wife printed all of them off, cut them into strips and pasted them onto note cards for me. It saved me a LOT of time and made things much easier for me. Naturally, I checked the answers, just to ensure they were still correct, and also added the info I got from the reviews the instructors gave. I did very well on almost all of the tests (made an 88% on the engines, but other than that a 94% was the lowest grade -- with two 100's). I would go through each notecard and memorize the answer. Once I had those memorized, the night before the test, I would read through everything I highlighted in the pub and take the practice tests (I never wrote the answers in the book -- kept me from trying to cheat). I would usually study for an hour in the morning before class too. It's just a technique I used -- maybe you've found something easier that'll work for you. Nav will just take a whole lot of elbow grease. You must practice as much as possible.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel! The last couple of weeks of API are awesome! Ground school at Primary isn't too awfully bad either! I haven't studied as hard as I did at API. And the Turbo Weenie is a blast to fly! FWIW, I started API in November and graduated December -- so it wasn't that long ago for me.

Good luck!

trmat79

i would say the practice test for nav is a little bit easier than the real one ....be warned

Todd Matson

Tiderunner

Thannks for the responses, I've done the same with the ELO's but I slacked off on Aero 2 and now paying the price, so I just wanted to get as much info on the Nav monster as possible. Thanks again.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Tide did you know Darrel Commander?

Go Gators,

Dave

Oh yeah just study for the NAV exam but dont over do it. Take the practice exam under the same time constraints as the test. It will give you a good idea of how you will do on the test. It will also show you the little mistakes you are prone to make.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah,

We were in a couple of classes together as we had the same major. I thought he got married right after graduation. Wasnt that just a year ago? Anyway, hope API is going good for you. Where are you going to go for primary?

Dave

Tiderunner

Yeah, I guess it was a year ago. Funny you ask about primary. Originally I was going to CC, but last Monday a Lt. from flight management came into the classroom and asked for all the people going to CC to raise their hands. So we did and then he said, " Not anymore, you're all going to Whiting." I guess CC is really backed up due to lack of instructors, and bad weather. I'm not to happy about it because I had already signed a lease on a pretty sweet house and that's were most of my friends are going through primary. Oh well, what are you going to do, just make the best of it I guess.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Its not the lack of instructors, it the really bad weather we are having. I have only flown once, (other than BI's), in the last 38 days. The weather is just killing us. There are a ton of guys in the first block just waiting to get Fam 1 in. Its sorta ridiculous. But, the weather cant hold out like this forever. I am sure when it clears we'll be flying like crazy. C'est la vie

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.