• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API during Christmas

dsevo

Anyone have any idea how the schedule is for students in the waiting pool for API around Christmas time? I graduate OCS next week, and am just trying to gauge how the holidays will be, and whether I can go home. I called the API quarterdeck today and they told me the holiday dates are December 18- January 4, but the lady wasn't sure what that means for students. Will we have to muster or do we get to disappear for 2 weeks without using leave? That sounds too good to be true to me. Thanks.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I don't know the specifics, but I do know you will not be able to leave for 2 weeks without using any leave. Those weeks are set aside so if you want to take leave, it's not an issue. Stand by to stand by, they'll have the dates out to you just in time to buy peak season airline tickets.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
First off, it's A-Pool you'll be in when you check in. API is B-Pool.

18DEC-04JAN is the time period during which you may take leave, if you have it. Otherwise plan on mustering (possibly phone mustering) at least daily. Also you may get thrown on a watchbill of some kind.

You're allowed to go up to 10 days in the hole for leave.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to take two weeks and/or go out of limits, you'll need to take leave. Whether you specifically will get approved for the leave you request is up to Flight Management.

Since you're graduating next week, I seriously doubt you'll be up for anything at P'cola yet. Don't you OCS guys still get 30 days' basket leave?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
30 days leave? OCS? Hahaha, that's a good one sir! :) We got a handful of days to travel down there and that's it. I used the 7 or 8 days of leave I earned up in Newport in addition to the travel days, but I didn't get any freebies besides the travel.

MoutainEER

The approved leave dates are the 18th starting at 1600 to the 4th at 0715... so basically if you apply for leave then and you have it you will get it. You still have to take leave... otherwise you will have to check in every day or every other day(they havent decided yet) If you report between now and then you will have to fill out a leave chit and hope they can rush it up before leave starts.

Oh and the 30 day basket leave was for Academy grads. It had to be taken within 90 days of graduation. Hope that answers the questions.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I burned a full month of leave after OCS just so I wouldn't lose it....It pays to be a BDCPer. In fact, I have so many boxes of used leave chits laying around that I've started using them as toilet paper. :D

For all that are drowning in negative leave, there is hope... You'll accumlate a metric butt ton in flight school.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's the military. You don't get to just take off without using leave. You may very well get two weeks off, but you'll be using leave to do it. Can't do it? Just means you'll have to stay within 350, but still may not even have to muster. Want to try breaking the rules? See last 500 stories about A-Poolers fucking up. :)

Crazy8

When I graduated in June, my orders gave me a month to report. I had to use leave after four days, but I didn't have to file a leave chit. If you are worried about buying a plane ticket and your orders permit it, you may want to wait to report to Pensacola. The downside is that anyone who checks in before you do has first crack at all the appointments, and may class up before you.

dsevo

Thanks guys. Well I'm down here now, so this thread is kinda outdated, but just in case anyone is wondering, the muster dates during the christmas break are 21, 24, 28, 31.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
It's the military. You don't get to just take off without using leave. You may very well get two weeks off, but you'll be using leave to do it. Can't do it? Just means you'll have to stay within 350, but still may not even have to muster. Want to try breaking the rules? See last 500 stories about A-Poolers *beep*ing up. :)

Agreed except in very rare circumstances (like Ivan). We got 2 weeks of "leave" during and after the hurricane. We had to phone muster and stay within "a day's drive" of P-cola. Some guys drove up to Norfolk!

[sarcasm]
I don't have access to the last 500 stories of A-Pool shenanigans. To which stories are you refering? Drive out of bounds to shoot some protected birds, get arrested, and "phone muster" with your 1 phone call? Shame on you! A slap on the wrist. Steal decorations from local businesses? Well, you'll get a below in headwork, but carry on. Break into some random house, trash it, and pass out? At least you didn't drink and drive!
[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, I understand that sometimes good people make bad choices, but these are felony charges! I have to say I'm surprised that each of those Sailors are still in flight training, let alone the Navy. Would an airline pilot, business person, Joe the Plumber, or anyone else get off that easy (no charges/fines, and/or keep their job)? I'm not in a position to say how each case should have been handled because I don't have all the info, but I am surprised that nobody even got dropped from flight training for any of what I mentioned above.