• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Curriculum Mod

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
Does Jet Advanced Aero deal w/ compressible/transonic flow? If so, and if they want to integrate that in to API, then it would warrant some changes to the syllabus. Transonic flow is certainly a different regime of aerodynamics that follows some different rules (actually they're the same rules, but with the incompressibility assumption removed, which makes it messier), and it is probably the most complex regime of external aerodynamics to understand and model....

That is what they were talking about adding as far as it was explained to me.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
I don't think shortening the program would do much good... I've known some pretty smart people that are really great test takers and rarely studied for anything but probably don't have the coordination or motor skills to fly a plane very well. In short, I don't think academic performance is the best indicator of being a good pilot or not.

This is another case of why talking about something you have yet to experience is a bad idea. Unless you are severely uncoordinated then you can be taught the required monkey skills. Good headwork and good Situational Awareness are much more important skills for flying successfully than having the world's greatest motor skills. Guys with 35 NSSs in primary go to South Field and manage to learn to hover, a skill that is entirely hand-eye coordination.

What the tests do is better indicate your ability to learn and retain the vast amount of information you need to learn in flight school. Until you've been in your fleet squadron a while, the amount of information you need to learn seems to grow exponentially. If you can't handle the tests in API, then you probably can't handle the amount of information you need to learn latter. The volume of water coming out of the fire hydrant only increases.

ghost

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
I was wondering if anyone knew any more about this JPATS program and whether it only applies to the T-6 or will it be implemented with the T-34 as well (since Whiting and Corpus will probably be using the T-34 for a while longer) and what does JPATS stand for? Also has anyone heard of the current time frame they plan on implementing this?

It's great that everyone is tearing apart my posts and all... but I was wondering if anyone could also answer the questions I had about the JPATS program (see above)?

MasterBates

Ghost is right on.

Ground school for the E-2 is shorter than the T-45 which was shorter than API.

And look at the increasing complexity in decreasing time. If I did not have a semi-solid background, I would be lost in the sauce here at the RAG.

Some of the IPs may argue that anyways, but at least I have a clue of WHAT the majic boxes are doing and what happens when I push and pull on things up in the cockpit.

If you can't handle API at twice the pace, you shouldn't be a Naval Aviator or NFO.

I partied my ass off in API and rocked it. Now, not so much. A harder, shorter 3 week API would be more telling of how you will handle things down the road. And you will still have your weekends free.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Hey the Jet stuff is in the book but not on the test, as far as the curves go

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's great that everyone is tearing apart my posts and all... but I was wondering if anyone could also answer the questions I had about the JPATS program (see above)?

Joint Primary Air Training System (JPATS) was the contest held to decide the new primary trainer for the USAF and USN. Unless the term has been incorporated to mean something else, that is all it is.

JPATS

As far as it changing the way flight school is conducted or structured, I am not sure it will have that much impact, it is not a radical change from the T-34C. Bunk would be able to say more about the particulars.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The biggest impact of JPATS will be on API. JPATS is an Air Force-designed program, and the AF doesn't do API. Everything we teach in API is folded into Primary under JPATS, but as CBT's. There's some debate as to whether that's a good idea, and if you've ever had to do CBT's, you'll understand why. So the discussion now is whether to compress API, do away with API altogether (retaining Swim and Survival), or modify the curriculum to make it more JPATS-compatible.

None of these ideas is a perfect solution, so for now: ops normal.