• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

apartments in San Diego

tali264

1800 or so. I've looked at a lot of apartments online, but what you see is not always what you get. So I wanted to see if anybody who's there could recommend any.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the island apartments are very expensive. Now living just off the island requires a definition of fairly close..remember this is San Diego, land of 8 lane super highways. I lived in North County and worked 24 miles from North Island when I was on the Stennis and really wasn't a bad commute for me. I went against traffic most of the time.

Lots of apartments in downtown for a sigle person, again, pricey but great location, no chance of a DUI when you can walk to your favorite watering hole. And there's lots of watering holes in the gaslamp.

Real close over the bridge is no man's land as in the barrio..don't go there and if you get lost and end up there...don't stop.

Best advice I can give you is to live in the Q for a while and get feel for the area and talk to people. Some real nice places (apartments) in mission valley that look out towards the stadium area. Some favoring singles, some for families. Most for singles.

One I can think of off hand that you can afford is La Mirage.

Hope this helps.
r/
G

tali264

No Q for me, I'll be married by the time I go out there. So are there any areas I should shoot for or stay away from?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I liked the Mission valley area. Check out www.equityapartments.com and plug in San Diego. I lived at La Mirage, great gym, pool, running trail, etc. It's a straight shot down the 15 to North Island, usually took me about 20-25 min in the morning (more traffic was going north)

helo_wifey

tali264, lowflier03 and i (+ 2 cats) live in some nice apartments downtown and the rent is about 1550 for a one bedroom with upgraded appliances, an oversized balcony and 2 assigned covered parking spaces. we have plenty of room. i think they even allow dogs at the complex. i love living downtown because it takes dh 10 minutes to get to base (depending on traffice), we have a grocery and mall (horton plaza) right across the street and anything else you could want. balboa park is 5 min away and mission valley malls within 10 min.

we have some friends who live in mission valley and pb and if you want the names of those places just let me know.

edit: the traffic has gotten pretty bad from mission valley on the 163, 8 , and 5 depending on when you leave.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Market Street Square hands down. I have a SWO buddy living here, as well as a few other Officers I have seen walking around. Excellent location for anything you could want to do. Bars, clubs, shopping, surfing, etc. My reasoning was "How often do you have the chance to live in downtown San Diego (Gaslamp) and have it paid for by the military?" Rent goes from around $1200 a month up past $2000 a month depending on what you want. But they are very military friendly and the apartments are very nice.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm another Mission Valley fan. I lived in those appartments across the 15 from La Mirage (couldn't get an apartment in time at La Mirage). I forget the name because it changed, but they were pretty nice as well. As others have said, the 15 is the way to travel because you're usually going against traffic (well, until the 5 and the bridge).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I'm another Mission Valley fan. I lived in those appartments across the 15 from La Mirage (couldn't get an apartment in time at La Mirage). I forget the name because it changed, but they were pretty nice as well. As others have said, the 15 is the way to travel because you're usually going against traffic (well, until the 5 and the bridge).
I live at La Mirage currently and traffic isn't really an issue to often. PM for details as required.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I live at La Mirage currently and traffic isn't really an issue to often. PM for details as required.

Brett

Perhaps w/ the exception of a football or baseball game. Yes, I know, they don't play baseball there anymore.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
gatordev said:
Perhaps w/ the exception of a football or baseball game. Yes, I know, they don't play baseball there anymore.

Basically, it's 8 games out of the football season where you're gonna want to stay off of Friar's Road. Even then it's only busy about an hour before kickoff, and an hour after the games over...besides, at noon on a Sunday, you're probably sleeping one off anyway :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Basically, it's 8 games out of the football season where you're gonna want to stay off of Friar's Road. Even then it's only busy about an hour before kickoff, and an hour after the games over...besides, at noon on a Sunday, you're probably sleeping one off anyway :)
Plus you can always get around it on the freeway. The flipside of that issue is that you can walk to the game if you live in the area. :D

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Plus you can always get around it on the freeway. The flipside of that issue is that you can walk to the game if you live in the area. :D

Brett

I agree, the pain isn't that regular. However, where I lived, there was no way around it. To get to either the 8 or the 15, you had to go through the first lighted intersection by the Lowes. Regardless, you just plan your day around it, and it wasn't that big a deal. I just seemed to always be going to the store at the wrong time, no matter how much I planned ahead. No one's fault but my own.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
On the island apartments are very expensive.

2 bedroom, 1 bath: $1300 with utilities included. It's not that expensive.