• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone want to buy an SU-27?

yak52driver

Contributor
I was down at KRFD yesterday, both of the SU-27's were parked out on the ramp at Pride. My stud was going missed on a LOC 7 approach and I was checking out the -27's as we went by. One was uncovered, the other either had a cover on it, or snow. Either way, doesn't look like anyone's snapped them up yet.

haavarla

The latest Flanker versions, especially the export ones, have gone a long way to fixing that. The Su-30MKI/MKM cockpits are considerably better than the older ones.

The Russkies have sharpen up a notch.
Here is some vids & pics of the new Cocpits layout of future RuAF Flankers:

Attachments

• 34262.jpg
    34262.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 46

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Russkies have sharpen up a notch.
Here is some vids & pics of the new Cocpits layout of future RuAF Flankers:

Actually that is an Su-34 FULLBACK, not a FLANKER. And it will be a long time before they get those in any meaningful strength in the Russian Air Force.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
What are "NATO reliability standards"?

They are most likely a made-up term, like you'd hear from a 24-hour news anchor. Random wants someone to say whether or not they were modified, etc, to the standards of, maybe, Western nations or militaries. He is probably doing this because he is assuming (and possibly correctly) that the folks out East don't maintain their stuff like we do.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

yak52driver

Contributor
They are most likely a made-up term, like you'd hear from a 24-hour news anchor. Random wants someone to say whether or not they were modified, etc, to the standards of, maybe, Western nations or militaries. He is probably doing this because he is assuming (and possibly correctly) that the folks out East don't maintain their stuff like we do.

I was told by one of the pilots that is flying it that the planes were rebuilt before they were shipped to the U.S. They were then upgraded with U.S. avionics once they were here. Beyond that not sure if any mods were done.

haavarla

Actually that is an Su-34 FULLBACK, not a FLANKER. And it will be a long time before they get those in any meaningful strength in the Russian Air Force.

Yes, sorry if i was unclear in my post.
In the pic is the Fullback new cockpit layout.

I in the vids are the RuAF Flanker new cocpit layout.

There are 5 serie production Fullback operational in the RuAF today.
They are procuring 32, but at a slow output rate.

NAPO just completed a state contract on the Su-24M2 upgrade, so i guess we see a small increase in the Fullback output rate next year.

KNAAPO will start producing Su-35S in 2010, a total of 48.
Its been a long time since KNAAPO produced any Flankers, so i'm not sure how their output rate will be..

Nevertheless, in my original post i was only stating that RuAF are getting new units with western standard cocpit layout.
The older Soviet made units in the RuAF are getting phased out at a steady rate, these days.

Thanks

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
What's with Russian A/C always having that robin's egg blue paint inside their cockpits?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's with Russian A/C always having that robin's egg blue paint inside their cockpits?

It's soothing to the pilot. White stripe is to find a centered stick in an OCF situation.

Random8145

Yes, although the term "NATO reliability standards" was just what a guy on another forum had phrased it as; I have/had no idea whether it was a real term or not.

ryan1234

I had read somewhere that the Russians' Attitude Gyros work backwards from ours. As in not the way the mind expects them to work.

Update: Here's a decent article on the differences.

That article was a slight bit misleading. The original attitude indicators have the brown on top and blue on bottom as well not just the difference in mini-airplane movement. Also you generally need to 'turn on' the attitude indicator seperately. It's really unusual to fly at first... so much so to me at least I don't even use it, since most of the eastern-surplus stuff is not something you'd want to take in IFR unless someone's dropped 200k into upgrades. Besides the instrument being in meters, kph, millibars.... the prop spins backwards (so opposite p-factor) on the prop surplus stuff (also good to note if you need to bailout). The mixture is also backwards... which is easy to go to idle cut-off if you're used to going full forward in engine emergencies. The brakes are a huge thing to get used to... a handle on the stick controls brake... and the rudder pedals control the effectiveness of the differential. Most older russian/chinese aircraft operate gear/flaps/etc on a pneumatic system.